#11 Wed 19 Sep 07 3:10pm

cupcake

Forum champ
From Cambodia, eh?
Member since Tue 09 Nov 04

Re: Your Kitchen...

Oh ... is the tour over? I'm exhausted.
Can I have my drink now?
You'll find me sitting atop the 9ft. baking surface, overlooking the garden.

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 19 Sep 07 4:25pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

hehe, I am going to have to re- read it so it can sink in! But it does sound like you have it just the way you want it, so far! Would love to see the pics too.

itsmarie, I love the sound of your mousedoor!  lol

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 19 Sep 07 7:03pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Its the 5th kitchen I've had ahand in designing and building, but the others were constrained by having to agree everything with the diocese, who owned the houses. This is thefirst time I've had a free hand, constrained only the dimensions.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 19 Sep 07 7:53pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

We're renting so the kitchen is like sooooo small (one of those little american kitchen which are part of the living-room!) - I cringe every time I have to make some space coz my work top is ridiculously small!!!!

But hey, here are the joys of renting!!! but I cant wait for my own place and the first thing I will make to my taste is the kitchen!!! the other rooms can just stay the way there are for the first few months... but the kitchen will have to be great as this is my domaine...  and there WILL be a dishwasher I can promiss you that!!!!

My only art work is made of a huge picture frame where I stuck postcards I got off Charles de Gaulle's airport in Paris one day... it's all about different types of food like: different sorts of bread, cheese, hot peppers etc.. loads of pictures and it's really colourful compaired to that "magnolia" colour on all the walls of this apartment... gives it a kick!!

Frenchie  big_smile

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 19 Sep 07 11:03pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

itsmarie wrote:

A small part of one of my walls is filled with cookery books i have collected over the years and my window sill has growing herbs my only problem i have is little black flies there driving me mad!!!!!! any suggestions helpfull.

Marie, I think we had the same problem with our indoor plants, they're fruit flies or related to them I think, the only way to get rid of them is to repot all your plants.  I think they are a result of overwatering, but don't quote me on it! smile

I'm in the process of (very slowly) improving my kitchen.  I painted it a beautiful pale yellow last spring with bright white trim.  I did all of the cupboards in white (that took forever, we have so many cupboards!), and painted the window the same yellow as the walls.  I have a nice stainless steel sink with the window right above, a long counter on the right for prep work with all my cupboards above the counter.  My appliances are a joke, but they work and will have to do for now. roll   I don't have a dishwasher and I don't want one as it's just two of us and I think the dishwasher is too harsh on most things anyway, so I don't think I would use it very much.

Not a lot of artwork as of yet, our house is very old and I'm trying to respect that as we work to improve it, so I was thinking of hanging some old windows with photographs behind them or doing shadowboxes to showcase some of my grandmother's old silverware.  Def. nothing modern so I have to scour antique shops and such for ideas.  I am collecting Bakelite flatware, but the color I'm looking for is obscure so it's slow going.  Once I get enough pieces I'll build a shelf for them or mount them on the wall somehow.

The next big project is the floor!  I think we'll go with cork or marmoleum.

http://www.themarmoleumstore.com/defaul … menuid=123

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 20 Sep 07 2:42am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

Picture a galley style kitchen. White cupboards with a touch of grey/silver. Knobs/pulls are stainless steel. Counter tops are stainless steel, except where we eat which is laminate... still can't afford the granite/marble I want! sad When you walk into the kitchen you see the long island/eating space. It looks like granite, haha, and has black/green/beige flecks. I have 4 countertop stools with off white cushions ( they have been Scotch Guarded as we do have children ) They are countertop and without backs so I can slide them under the table so I can use as a workspace. To the direct left as you enter you have the fridge/freezer, I think it's a 25 cubic Kitchen Aid. Next to that is a small countertop where I keep the coffee stuff and wine. Under that is drawer space, cutlery/pots/casserole dishes... next to that is my pantry... wall... big countertop/island space... above the counter space is a large window overlooking the deck, if you are on the deck you have a Mt. Baker view.. then there's the patio doors, water cooler, then the entrance to the dining room we never use! To the right of the dining room entrance is the opposite wall that has most of the stainless steel countertops, which holds the microwave/toaster/rice cooker and the food processor then the dish rack and sink..  counter space, stove and a small countertop and above that is the spice cupboard, which brings us back to the entrance of the kitchen! The color in the kitchen is what's called, pickle.. I think it's nicer than it sounds but I picked it out because it has black in it, to comliament the stainless steel and to bring some warmth to it... hey, if you have another color in mind please let me know!! I still din't have a back splash but I think I want a smaller tumbled stone in a natural or a white subway tile?? Since the house is older, I don't know that a glass tile would be ok.. but I do like the look of the tiny mosiak tile...

Last edited by bcrain (Thu 20 Sep 07 4:01am)

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 20 Sep 07 4:10am

bcrain

Forum champ
From Greater Vancouver

P.S the flooring is a beech laminate thats why I chose the backsplash as I did.

I like modern but I like to warm it up a bit... next time I go to Ikea, I am planning on getting new pulls/knobs for the cupboards to moderize it a bit. I really want to paint it another color but need to keep it on the lighter side as it's an east facing kitchen. I would also like to add a black iron hurricane ( 3 ) candle holder to a wall but have been hesitant as i have a very busy 5 year old...

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 20 Sep 07 5:18am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

there is a pic of my kitchen on the bloggers section right now..

http://www.jamieoliver.com/jamieathome/ … p?id=26802

the table in  front of the microwave was there for extra space while canning..  fairly big kitchen 14ft x 12 ft .  when we moved in the cupboards were a nasty 70s brown laminate  and the floor had a light blue
indoor/outdoor carpet ‼‼GLUED‼‼ down . the appliances left by previous owners were avacado green 70's lady kenmore .  whistle  stripped the cupboards, sanded, then primed and painted with a bluetinged white melamine paint.   new basic white electric element stove. new white 23cu/ft white allfridge.  carpet pulled up and light wood colour laminate for flooring now.  i would like to switch out the countertop soon.  solid wood is my preference for replacement. unfortunatly the last time i was at ikea the countertop i had my eye on seemed to have been discontinued.  eventually i would like to take down the microwave shelf and put top and bottom cabinets on that wall as well.  will have to repostion the stove accordingly as well.. I figure by the time we are ready to sell the house i should be happy with the kitchen  lol  lol

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#19 Thu 20 Sep 07 11:21pm

confuzed

From Shanghai ;-)
Member since Thu 07 Apr 05

My kitchen is all white with stainless steel apliances-I have a huge fridge/freezer, dishwasher, micro oven, cooker and a proper fan.

A round white dining table inspired by Saarinen's tulip table and 2 white and steel chairs. It is all very minimalistic...

I hate clutter and decorative stuff in my kitchen! My counter is pretty big but the only thing out on display is my KitchenAid machine and blender because they are not only in use almost daily but they look good too-both fire red!

Another decorative touch is my Vipp trash can-red as well...It gives a good balance to the white and the stainless steel!

In one corner on the counter I have an old wooden tray that I bought at the Portobello market in London some years ago. It's always full of different types of onions and garlic. I also have this really beautiful black ceramic bowl made by a local artist in my hometown in Norway on the kitchen table which normally contains fresh fruit.

I used to have my knifes hanging on the wall on this stainless steel rack but I felt it looked messy so off they went and back in the drawers!

So my kitchen is modern, minimalistic and clutter free-perfect to work in.

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 21 Sep 07 4:48am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

My kitchen is cramped and small and is what it was made for ie. a weekend getaway.  But...it is mine and I do anything I want inspite of it cuz I'm a stubborn, ornery, SOB.  No, it's not eveything I'd love but it's what I have.  John Lennen once said, "Give me a tuba and I'll make art."
Give me fire and some food and I'll make dinner.
Eddie

Likes (0)