forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 15 Oct 07 11:25am

angelaspatula

Member since Sat 24 Feb 07

Leek side-dish recipes

Hello All,

I've recently bought some leeks and to be honest I only really like leeks when they are in a leek and potato soup :-). However my boyfriend is a big fan of leeks and his favourite way to eat them in simply steamed or boiled.

This fills me with dread as it really doesn't appeal to me. The majority of recipes I have found include leeks with cheese, whilst this sounds nice, my boyfriend doesn't like melted cheese (strange I know).

So my question is, does anyone have any leek side-dishes that do not involve cheese  help

Thanks

Angela

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 15 Oct 07 12:06pm

jazzmags 35

Member since Mon 15 Oct 07

Re: Leek side-dish recipes

Hi Angela,

I have leeks growing in the garden.  A couple of dishes I have made are Leek and Broccoli flan with a yummy wholemeal and herb shortcrust pastry. My husband doesn't like leeks also, but he sure enjoyed the flan.

Also  I add it to stirfrys or even sauteed with a little butter and garlic and put on top of mash spuds. yumm!!

If you would like the recipe for the flan let me know.

Hope this has given you some new ideas. If I think of anymore I will let you know.

Cheers
Jazzmags 35

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 15 Oct 07 12:10pm

elhousemartin

Occupation Design, Interiors
From Warfield, Berks
Member since Fri 07 Sep 07

Angela,

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 15 Oct 07 12:21pm

elhousemartin

Occupation Design, Interiors
From Warfield, Berks
Member since Fri 07 Sep 07

Oops! I meant to say:
Angela,
Funny you should ask because I had some wonderful leeks last night with my roast. Here's how to do it:

5-6 leeks, trimmed
4 stalks celery
1 tbsp capers
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, crushed
S+P t taste

Cut the leeks into quarters length-wise within 1/2" of the root so that they stay together. Wash well to make sure you get any dirt out. Wash and trim the celery.
Stack the leeks and celery in a bundle on a large sheet of tin foil and drizzle with the oil, scatter the capers and garlic, sprinkle with s&p and wrap up in the foil to make a tight little package. Pop it in the oven (with your roast) 30-40 mins before your roast is finished and serve immediately.

It's really good with the spice-crusted lamb and garlic mashed pots I made last night I'll post it, even though the recipe is super simple)

enjoy!

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 15 Oct 07 4:49pm

GerryA

Occupation IT wage slave
From Derbyshire, England
Member since Tue 11 Sep 07

Hi Angela,

try them cut into big chunks and roasted round your joint of meat, they go beatufully creamy in the middle.  yummy

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 15 Oct 07 10:51pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Try pan frying them in some dry white wine to go with round fish, such as tuna, then drizzle with a sweet red pepper salad dressing.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 15 Oct 07 11:01pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Angela, like you I really only like leeks IN something, not as a separate veggie. The following recipe might be a compromise. It my way of getting rid of leftover rice and a childhood favorite of mine. Love it any time....

You need:
1 leek (chopped)
about 2 eggs
about 200 g ham (cooked and diced)
left over rice
soy sauce.

Make scrambled eggs from the eggs. Then remove from pan and chop.
Fry leeks to soften a bit but do not brown. Add ham and rice and eggs and fry until everything is warmed up.
Serve like this with the bottle of say sauce on the table for everyone to season the rice on the plate (if you add the sauce beforehand the rice is brown and not so pretty, but feel free) wink

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 20 Oct 07 4:07pm

divasparkle

From London England
Member since Thu 16 Jun 05

A friend once served me a really claggy dish of baby leeks in a white sauce. So I came up with my version which is fab with a roast..

Fry 3 (cleaned, obviously) chunky-chopped leeks gently in a mix of oil and butter. Pour in a bit of stock with a pinch of saffron. Simmer until soft and most of the liquid is absorbed. Put into an oven proof dish. Mix a tsp of coarse grain mustard into a small pot of double cream and pour over the leeks. Pop into a hot oven for 20-30 mins - it is a really well behaved dish. For those of you who don't have a cheese aversion, sprinkle over a handful of grated cheddar/guyere before it goes into the oven which gives it a super savoury flavour... yummy

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 24 Oct 07 8:42am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Mushroom and Leek Side Salad

2 to 3 large leeks, washed and sliced
10 ounces mushrooms
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons butter mixed together
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the butter in a fry pan until soft. Add the mushrooms and thoroughly coat them in the butter. Add the stock and ginger. Cover and leave for a few minutes until the vegetables are cooked. Add the butter and flour mixture a little at a time to allow the juices to thicken, but keep the liquid under boiling point. Stir continually. Season with salt and pepper.

Lentil and Leek Salad

2 cups dried lentils
2 to 3 leeks, chopped, white parts only
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped coriander
1 large stalk celery, thinly sliced
2 to 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 pound spinach, sliced in 1 inch strips
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Salt and pepper to taste Simmer the lentils in well salted water until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes, then drain. Saute the chopped leeks in half of the olive oil until they are soft and just barely beginning to color. Meanwhile, place the raisins in about a cup of scalding hot water for at least ten minutes, then drain well. Combine the lentils, the leeks and raisins. Add the parsley, coriander, celery, rice vinegar and half a teaspoon salt and toss gently but thoroughly. Add the remaining oil to the pan in which you sauteed the leeks and stir the crushed garlic in it for about a minute. Add the spinach and toss over high heat just until the spinach is wilted and the excess water cooks away. Squirt the fresh lemon juice on the spinach, toss again and add it to the salad. Toss the salad again and taste it. Season with salt, fresh ground black pepper and more rice vinegar or lemon juice, to your taste. Then let the salad marinate for an hour and taste it again. Nice drizzled with just a little more olive oil.

Leek and Potato Bake

1/2 pound potatoes
2 medium leeks
1 cup single cream
2 medium eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs

salt and pepper to taste

Peel and slice the potatoes. Clean the leeks by slicing them lengthways and fan them out under running water. Slice these also. Layer the potatoes and the leeks in a greased baking dish, sprinkling a little salt and pepper over each layer. Mix the cream and eggs together in a separate bowl. Pour over the ingredients in the baking dish. Sprinkle some bread crumbs on top. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and the top is browned.

Likes (0)