forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 25 Oct 07 8:04pm

samandjoe

Member since Thu 25 Oct 07

fried rice.

Can someone tell me how to cook fried rice, i have tried a few time and seem to get it wrong everytime.
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 26 Oct 07 1:09am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: fried rice.

Fried rice originated as a way of using up leftovers - leftover boiled rice, meat and veg.

First of all, the rice needs to be cold and dry. Ideally, you should cook the rice the day before, and allow it to cool spread out on a tray. I cook batches of boiled rice, and freeze in 2 portion packs, when defrosted, the rice is ideal for fried rice.

Next, the additional ingredients need to be cooked - this can either be because ge are leftovers, or because they go into tge wok first before the rice.

The first stage in cooking fried rice is to flavour the oil.

Get your wok smoking hot. I really do mean hot - really really hot, so that when you add your oil, it dances and smokes.

Add the oil (groundnut for preference, or even dripping ifyou wantto be deally traditional!)

Add the flavourings - garlic, chili, ginger, spices, and fry until aromatic - just a few seconds.

If your ingredients are leftovers, add the rice now. If your ingredients are fresh, add them and cook first. If your making egg fried rice, throw in the beaten egg first, and cook briefly before proceeding as above.

Stir fry - and really stir, keping the contents moving constntly, tossing and stirring. Don't let the ingredients boil - they must fry and sizzle.

When everything is in the wok frying, season well with soy or fish sauce - don't ovrdo it, it should not be wet!

Serve and eat immediately.

I don't generally use any specific recipe - just check what I have available, cut it to size if necessary, line everything up next to the cooker, and get stuck in. The whole cooking process should take no longer than about 8 mins, and often shorter.

For specific recipes, try a google search on "fried rice"

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 26 Oct 07 2:32am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

This is a great Fried rice recipe, it is very quick and easy to make.

Delicious fried rice (Kylie Kwong)

Fried rice is one of those lovely comforting foods that everyone in the world seems to like — no one is intimidated by fried rice. Somehow all these rogue ingredients have crept into restaurant versions over the years, such as corn, peas, ham and the like. I find the trick with fried rice is to keep it really simple and traditional — just some really fresh and fluffy eggs, onion, bacon or Chinese sausage, ginger and some spring onions.
Serves: supper for 2-4; part of a banquet for 6

Ingredients
    •    1/3 cup peanut oil
    •    4 large free-range eggs, beaten
    •    1 tablespoon peanut oil, extra
    •    11/2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
    •    4 garlic cloves, diced
    •    1 medium-sized brown onion, finely diced
    •    1/2 cup roughly chopped rindless bacon rashers or Chinese sausage
    •    1 teaspoon white sugar
    •    2 tablespoons Shao Hsing wine
    •    5 cups cooked medium-grain white rice
    •    1 tablespoon oyster sauce
    •    1 cup finely sliced spring onions (scallions)
    •    3 teaspoons Maggi seasoning
    •    1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
    •    2 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced on the diagonal
    •    1/4 cup light soy sauce
    •    1/2 large red chilli, finely sliced on the diagonal

Method
Heat oil in a hot wok until the surface seems to shimmer slightly. Pour beaten eggs into wok and cook for about 1 minute, lightly scrambling them and rotating the wok to ensure even cooking. When almost cooked through, carefully remove omelette from wok with a fish slice and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside.??Wipe out wok with kitchen paper, add extra oil and stir-fry ginger and garlic for 1 minute, or until very aromatic. Add onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender. Add bacon and stir-fry for a further minute, or until lightly browned. Stir in sugar and wine, then stir-fry for 30 seconds. ??Finally, add rice, reserved omelette, oyster sauce, spring onions, Maggi seasoning and sesame oil. Stir-fry for 3 minutes, or until rice is heated through. Roughly chop omelette into smaller pieces as you stir.??Divide rice between individual bowls and garnish with extra spring onions. Combine soy sauce and chilli in a small bowl and serve on the side.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 29 Oct 07 6:54pm

samandjoe

Member since Thu 25 Oct 07

Thanks very much for the advice i will try this.
What i have been doing is not letting the rice go to cold and dry out enough and also the oil is not as hot as it should be so the rice just soaks in the oil (YUCK). I am just a beginner so practice makes perfect.
My wife has bought me the new Jamie oliver book so i hope to make some more progress.

Thanks again and i hope in the future i will be able to help others as yous have helped me. thumbsup  cool

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 29 Oct 07 9:03pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Like you say practice makes perfect  - so please never be discouraged! wink

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 29 Oct 07 11:27pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Important....You must remember to keep cooked rice in the fridge, otherwise (because of all the little air spaces in it ) it is an ideal medium for bacteria to grow.

(Bicillus cereus is the bug that commonly grows in rice)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 30 Oct 07 12:03am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

And cooked rice freezes really well - I always gave a few portions in the freezer.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 13 Dec 12 4:06am

arunraj07525

Occupation i always use http://www.recipes66.com for recipe search
Member since Thu 13 Dec 12

yes fried rice is the nice one to prepare because it is delicious in taste and easy to make ....

Chicken Fried Rice Recipe :

Ingredients:
rice                                                             1 cup
salt                                                             enough for taste
Oil                                                               150 gm
garlic paste                                                       2 tsp
spring onions chopped fine                       1 cup
cooked and finely chopped chicken            3/4 cup
celery finely chopped                                  2 Tbsp
soya sauce                                                       2 tsp
vinegar                                                              1 Tbsp
chilli sauce                                                        1 tsp
Procedure:

1)Boil  rice with 1 tsp salt and 1 Tbsp oil, till bite-like.

2) Remove  water keep only rice.

3)Leave in the colander and work 1 Tbsp oil into it.

4)Heat the rest of the oil and fry  the garlic and onions, till onions comes to  light brown.

5)Add the chicken and stir-fry till well mixed.

6)Add the soya sauce, vinegar and chilli sauce, mix well and add  rice.

stir thoroughly tasty chicken fried rice is ready to serve.

get the full  story @ recipes66.com

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 13 Dec 12 4:11am

arunraj07525

Occupation i always use http://www.recipes66.com for recipe search
Member since Thu 13 Dec 12

i think now you got the required info

Likes (0)