forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 17 Dec 07 11:17pm

Jeenas Kitchen

Occupation House Wife and Mother
From UK
Member since Wed 28 Nov 07

Re: Best Food Processor

I love my magic bullet it does everything and whips soup into such a creamy texture. smile

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 17 Dec 07 11:18pm

Jeenas Kitchen

Occupation House Wife and Mother
From UK
Member since Wed 28 Nov 07

I love my magic bullet it does everything and whips soup into such a creamy texture. smile

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 18 Dec 07 12:10am

shockman

From Bonn, Germany
Member since Sun 08 May 05

Kitchenaid

Every time. I even have a transformer the size of a small nuclear reprocessing plant to work it in the UK. It is still worth it.

In the end it is about simplicity, reliability and sheer unadulterated brain crushing power.

If it were a vehicle, you would need a license. It will do anything - how many european processors can make sausages and ice cream and still look so damned sexy?

big_smile

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 18 Dec 07 11:52am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Shockman - the Kenwood Chef can - and it will also peel spuds and veg smile

Mind you, it looks a little more macho than the curvy Kitchenaid - and it is a bit larger, and rather more powerful (up to 1500 Watts).

Basically, it comes down to personal needs and preferences - Kitchenaids are smaller, lighter, and more retro styled.
Kenwood are larger, heavier, modern styled and able to handle larger capacities.

There isn't a great deal of difference in price or quality, and both last well.

Everybody loves whichever one they own smile

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 18 Dec 07 9:40pm

MarissaH

From Australia
Member since Sat 06 Oct 07

Hmmm... I'm thinking of buying myself a food processor for Xmas and I've been reading forums about this all over the place. Until Geoff's comment, I've been considering KitchenAid and Magimix but I think I'll do a bit of research on the Kenwood Chef too.  smile

In my case, it'll be the best that I can get for what I can afford.  smile

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 02 Jan 08 8:56am

mysteron

Member since Tue 25 Dec 07

Happy new year to you all.
After spending a lot of time looking at Food Processor's over Christmas and New Year, I still find myself undecided. There have not been many in the sales and the types of food processor are varied.
I want a professioal and robust model and I am prepared to pay for a good one, however, some models show they have many tools to go with them and others more expensive do not.
Can you please recommend  a good buy and put me out of my misery.
Many thanks
Mysteron help

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 02 Jan 08 5:03pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Forgive my NY vagueness, worse than my usual. Tell us again what you are going to be mainly doing with it and welcome to the forums.

I have had a Kenwood Chef for 20+years (recently replaced) which I use for mixing cakes etc. Decided against the KitchenAid as bowl and motor capacity did not suit my needs.

Have had Magimixes for more than 30yrs. The first still works fine- my in-laws love it. Have only "up-graded" for bowl and motor. Use for chopping, grating, mixing bread dough and, of course, pureeing. I bought the 5200- the biggest motor and has three bowls-handy.

So, i'd suggest you write a list of what you want the machine to do. It will make your decision easier.

Dont know where you live, but if you are in Oz, DJ's have Kenwood appliances on sale now. And PoK often has KitchenAid on special not sure about Magimix, though. They are closed until late Jan, when they have a huge sale. They have a weekly e-newsletter. If you want the details of how to receive it, email me. Postage is very reasonable $6 in Australia. I get all of my stuff from them via my PO Box. Would cost me more than the postage in my "work down time", petrol and parking hassles and I hate the worst that sales bring out in people.

Good luck!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#18 Sat 30 Aug 08 4:27pm

Ivor Jetski

Member since Sat 30 Aug 08

The Dualit one is by far the best....

In our shop on Monday mornings we have a training hour on different products. This week, I thought we would compare the differences between the food processors we stock. 

Whisking egg whites
The first thing we tried was whisking egg whites, so we cracked a couple of eggs into the Magimix 5200XL, set it going and in about 5 minutes we had reasonably fluffy egg whites. Very nice. Tried the same with the KitchenAid Artisan Food Processor and got the same result. We then tried the Dualit, put in the strange white disc thinking how is this going to do anything? pressed go, and instant fluffy egg whites in about 10 seconds. We sat open mouthed for a while and then moved onto the next thing.

Slicing vegetables
The Magimix was very nice and consistent, as was the KitchenAid, and whilst putting in the Dualit disc we noticed that it has a very clever adjustable blade width, which means you only need one disc for any thickness. The slicing isnt quite as consistent as the other two machines but still adequate.

Blending
Next, we came to blending. The KitchenAid and Magimix both did a good job but, again, the clever people at Dualit have put a seal at the base of the bowl so you can do any amount of liquids. On the others, the bowl has a neck halfway up to let the axle from the motor come through, so if you go over this you get a very wet motor and worktop. We also found that this made the Dualit a lot easier to clean.

Ease of use
Other things we noticed along the way were that with the Dualit every blade and attachment is named so you do not have to guess which part does what or get the manual out. With the Magimix and KitchenAid, it is quite a challenge working out which axle fits with what part but with the Dualit, there is only one. All 3 bowls of the Dualit are almost the same diameter so you can do nearly anything in any bowl, with the others there is a specific bowl for each blade creating more washing up.

Dualit Food Processor is the cheapest and most powerful
I went into this training session with the preconception that the market leader Magimix would be the best and came away quite shocked, wondering why nobody had thought of these ideas before. Its a bit like what Dyson did with the Vacuum cleaner. They have taken each part and thought of a way it could be better. I can imagine other manufactures getting ideas from the Dualit machine in the not too distant future, as it has left the others behind a bit. On top of all this, the Dualit Food Processor is the cheapest and the most powerful. The only thing it falls down on arguably is its looks, which personally I'm not so keen on!

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 30 Aug 08 8:02pm

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Pin Head wrote:

Looking at a Kitchenaid but rather pricey. Is it worth it or are there better alternatives out there?

Get a Bamix.

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 23 Feb 11 9:26am

davidtrees

Member since Wed 23 Feb 11

Hi to everyone. This is my first post on this forum.

I'm an Aussie who has lived in the Manchester, UK for 14+ years.

Just been to Oz as my Dad had a massive H/Attack. Whilst there helping Dad recover, my sister told me I was fat, she was right..LOL.., and she helped me redefine my eating needs. So that brings me to the point.

Blender (Blendtec) vs Magimix 5200XL

One of the things she said I should do is eat more raw foods. I don't mind this idea at all. I was watching Jamie do the 30 minute meal thing on the weekend and he used a Food Processor a lot to make this easier with a raw vege/salad, salad. I need to be able to do the following and I am wondering if anyone has tried this...

I want to be able to process food, make bread dough, blend soups, make fruit and green smoothies etc and...here is the big one for me...make "creamy" Almond Milk. I struggle with cows milk & dairy products. I was told I need to be able to blend Almonds to make good creamy milk with a unit that is at least 1200watts.

The Magimix 5200XL runs at 1100watts. The Blendtec at 1500watts but the Vitamix, which does a great job with the Almond Milk at only 1200watts. Not much between the Magimix 5200XL and the Vistamix

So, I am trying to get one machine to do two things of possible. Has anyone trired to make the above with a Magimix 5200?

Any comments about this idea...

Likes (0)