Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Mon 07 Jan 08 1:59am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Re: Fowl Dinners

Mummza, I also have just taken to chicken keeping.. the kids are already quite attached so I cant see us using them for meat but the eggs are great... we have 2 6month old hens ( a red & a white) and we are already giving some eggs away. We get 2-3 eggs every day, usually 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon.

I was lucky to get a coop from a friend that is big enough to keep 12 chickens in, (he used to keep parrots and sold it to me for $300.oo, it needed a good clean with a high pressure water gun but its great now)

The chickens were a gift from a neighbour whose sister had bred them but is now in ill health and she is giving up chickens.

I havent started on the back gardens yet but I am not into the formal thing anyway, mostly want some fruit trees & a few shrubs, the vegie patch is fenced with "reo" mesh to keep the dogs out & so far the chickens havent shown an interest.

My yard is huge but you can keep chickens, especially the smaller varieties, in only a few square metres of space. Apparently in Italy where yard space is at a premium, they usually keep a few chickens and sometime a pig or lamb. I think I read this in Jamies Italy.

Likes (0)

#22 Mon 07 Jan 08 3:58pm

homecooking

Occupation Housewife
From W. Sussex
Member since Wed 18 Oct 06

Re: Fowl Dinners

Lisa Devon wrote:

Hello also to Jenny & Daren...where were you at the filming???? I was just a stand in as someone on the "junk food table" didnt turn up, I was only supposed to be there as a "chicken handler" and bag carrier etc...and ended up with the junk food adicts shocked  sad  shocked

Thanks also to everyone else for your nice comments...have a look at our website bhwt.org.uk for further info.
Hears hoping for a free range future!

Lisaxxxx wink

Hi Lisa

We were on the table for the value eggs/chickens.  Not sure whether we spoke to you, we did speak to someone who lives in Ipplepen (we used to live in Paignton - was it you who we spoke to?).  I was the blonde who got up first to help Hugh and Jamie put those poor white chickens in that pen (or should I say cram them in).  My guess of 30 should have been right not 100.

Can't wait to watch the show, have seen the previews.

Jenny

Last edited by homecooking (Mon 07 Jan 08 4:02pm)

Likes (0)