Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 12 Jan 08 11:21am

Danny

Jamie's Better Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Jamie's thoughts on getting the most out of a chicken

Hi,

For anyone who is considering to "trade up" to a higher welfare bird - here is a link to the recipe section on Jamie's thoughts on how to get the most out of a chicken.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/meat … le_chicken

Comments and further suggestions most welcome

Dan

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 12 Jan 08 5:32pm

grannieannie

From Boston Lincs
Member since Mon 18 Apr 05

Re: Jamie's thoughts on getting the most out of a chicken

We don't waste any of our chicken. 

Usually, roasted first and we eat the breasts or part of depending on size of chicken, then pie or curry with the dark meat and if I put some mixed veg in with it, we have pie or curry for 2 days, so freeze the half you don't use, then the carcase is boiled up for stock and frozen til needed

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 13 Jan 08 1:08am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I dont waste any chicken at all, I use leftovers for an asian style rice noodle salad I have posted before.

Rice Noodle, chicken and Mango salad
(inspired by Rosemary)

Rice noodles, a good handful per person.
1/2 Mango, peeled and sliced
Cooked chicken shredded, 1/2 cup per person
A good handful of laksa leaf or coriander, rough chopped
A good handful mint, rough chopped

Dressing
1tb hoisin sauce
2tb sesame oil
1tb light soy
1/2ts chilli bean paste (optional)
1/2 ts fish sauce

Method
Soak noodles 8-10 mins in boiling water or according to packet instructions. Drain well, allow to cool and place in a bowl with mango, chicken and chopped herbs. Add 2 ts of the dressing and toss well to coat.
Serve immediately with more of the dressing drizzled over the top.

I use it for sandwhiches, I use the bones for stock, I had it to curry gravy I have pre-made and is in the freezer. Give some to the cats as a treat for their dinner.

I never chuck leftover meat out.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 13 Jan 08 2:11am

Jeenas Kitchen

Occupation House Wife and Mother
From UK
Member since Wed 28 Nov 07

Hi everybody, I don't always eat meat but when I do I certainly like to make use of all of meat.  For chicken I like to pressure cook or stew it and then pick the chicken off the bones once it has cooked this way you get the flavour of the stock and all of the meat.  :-)

I have lots of chicken recipes on my food blog here  http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com  some recipes I pressure cook with pics so feel free to check it out.  Pressure cooking a chicken can make a chicken go much further I think.

By the way I think it is great that Jamie is raising awareness for those poor caged hens. :-(

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 13 Jan 08 9:56pm

elainemaisey

Member since Mon 25 Sep 06

My husband and I watched Jamies programmefowl chicken dinners this week about the chickenand the egg. clap  My husband bought a large free range chicken after the programme and today we set to work with it. We had enough for a roast dinner for both of us, a large pot of chicken soup enough for us both for 2 days and some for my daughter and boyfriend, we have enough for sandwiches for tomorrow and I made 12 chicken, mushroom and leek pies (small). The chicken cost nearly £7, but we have got so many meals from it we cannot believe that someone has to buy 2 chickens for a £5 and say they cannot afford a free range, not after we got so many meals from our one. All we had to buy was some fresh vegetables and make some pastry. We are both in full support of your campaign. Keep up the good work. We will never buy cheap chickens again

Danny wrote:

Hi,

For anyone who is considering to "trade up" to a higher welfare bird - here is a link to the recipe section on Jamie's thoughts on how to get the most out of a chicken.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/meat … le_chicken

Comments and further suggestions most welcome

Dan

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 14 Jan 08 12:26am

lisa_perry75

Member since Sat 12 Jan 08

Oh yeah, I bought a 2kg free-range corn fed chicken from tescos and managed to get 6 portions of meat off it, plus a pot of stock and loads of little bits of chicken which went in a risotto with the stock. I roughly copied the risotto recipe from Jamie at Home, just added some chicken.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 14 Jan 08 4:34am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

My husband and I always use the entire bird as well.  Sometimes I'm more excited about the soup and stock than eating the actual roast chicken!  yummy

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 15 Jan 08 7:23pm

samandjoe

Member since Thu 25 Oct 07

Me and my wife watched the hughs chicken run and jamies foul dinners,
We were amazed at what we saw. We are never ever going to eat or feed our 5 kids prosessd chicken or any other type of prosessed food again, we found it discusting how every bit of the chicken goes in. Like the packages say 100% chicken.
Unfortunately for us we are still going to buy the cheap chicken for now until they are totally fazed out we seen in our local tesco that they charge £7 for a free range, because of the size of our family we have to cook 2 whole chickens to get a good serving as our two oldest are in there teens and eat everything going. We really understand what it was all about and it has made us look in a different light and we will try to get free range as and when we can. We also managed to have another days meal with the left over chicken. Hugh that chicken risotto was lovely.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 15 Jan 08 7:44pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

We always use the whole chicken as well - generally between the 5 of us I manage to get roast chicken, 1 meal of cold chicken (or chicken salad), and one other hot dish (risotto, rizzy bizzy, stir fry, or pie) - not to mention the lovely stock for making soups and sauces.  On a good day/week, I reckon to get 15 portions of chicken (by being reasonably sparing with helpings), 10 hot and 5 cold, and 2 batches of soup (making a further 10 portions of food).  I expect as the children get bigger,  I will get fewer portions from a chicken, so I'm enjoying it whilst they're relatively small  wink

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 15 Jan 08 7:52pm

JennyR

From Whitby, North Yorkshire
Member since Thu 29 Jul 04

samandjoe wrote:

Me and my wife watched the hughs chicken run and jamies foul dinners,
We were amazed at what we saw. We are never ever going to eat or feed our 5 kids prosessd chicken or any other type of prosessed food again, we found it discusting how every bit of the chicken goes in. Like the packages say 100% chicken.
Unfortunately for us we are still going to buy the cheap chicken for now until they are totally fazed out we seen in our local tesco that they charge £7 for a free range, because of the size of our family we have to cook 2 whole chickens to get a good serving as our two oldest are in there teens and eat everything going. We really understand what it was all about and it has made us look in a different light and we will try to get free range as and when we can. We also managed to have another days meal with the left over chicken. Hugh that chicken risotto was lovely.

thumbsup

Do remember though that there is the Freedom Food label inbetween standard and freerange that is more acceptable if you can't stretch to freerange. And often doesn't cost much more than standard.The Co-op's 'standard' chicken apparently exceeds the freedom food standards, Morrisons Freedom Food is priced similarly to standard. Jamie has a handy table showing what all the supermarkets sell so you can make an informed choice. http://www.jamieoliver.com/jamiesfowldi … rkets.html

Last edited by JennyR (Tue 15 Jan 08 7:58pm)

Likes (0)