Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 16 Jan 08 12:12pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Re: Jamie's thoughts on getting the most out of a chicken

My family all eat free range chickens and eggs, so when they cook chicken they give me the carcass so I can then make a soup or casarole and invite them round to share I always make lots so they have take home aswell. I also get the egg shells, we have a composs bin so with all the organic veg we eat I think it gonna be good stuff

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 18 Jan 08 4:12am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

samandjoe wrote:

Me and my wife watched the hughs chicken run and jamies foul dinners,
We were amazed at what we saw. We are never ever going to eat or feed our 5 kids prosessd chicken or any other type of prosessed food again, we found it discusting how every bit of the chicken goes in. Like the packages say 100% chicken.

Thats what I say about the burger patties from "you know who"!

They advertise here in Australia that they use 100% Aussie Beef.

Hooves & all puke

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 19 Jan 08 1:25am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

[/b]Unfortunately for us we are still going to buy the cheap chicken for now until they are totally fazed out we seen in our local tesco that they charge £7 for a free range, because of the size of our family we have to cook 2 whole chickens to get a good serving as our two oldest are in there teens and eat everything going.[/b]

Why not just stop eating so much chicken, save up and treat yourself to the occasional free range?

If more people ate more free range, it would become cheaper.

Simple supply and demand logistics.

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 19 Jan 08 2:30pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Everyone knows how wonderful free-range is for flavour etc, but I was amazed how much difference in flavour there was between "Freedom Food" & "Standard" ! Having never being keen on the "2 for a fiver" birds, I went & took a good look at them yesterday, & they are more carcass than bird anyway...............I mean yes, they are very cheap, but they didn't actually look very nice ! Go on, pay a bit more, buy better...............oh, & don't smother the meat in sauces & gravy straight off..........put a bit of meat in your mouth & chew slowly...........it will taste SO good!

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 19 Jan 08 7:22pm

Jerseyporter

Member since Sat 12 Jan 08

I'm pleased people are starting to remember that there is the Freedom Food option between the sub-standard and unacceptable standard birds and the more expensive free-range ones.  I'm also pleased to see people sharing their ideas for getting more out of the chicken that they buy (more of that in a mo!)

The only issue I had with Hugh's programme was that he didn't really present the Freedom Food labels as viable options.  Perhaps any comments he made about them were edited out, but for people worried about their budgets it's no wonder that pushing free-range exclusively puts some of them off.

I live in Jersey and we are limited as to what is available to us, but we do have M&S and the Co-Op.  I now buy the Co-Op Elmwood RSPCA approved chickens.  I also note that the Co-Op have changed the labelling for their standard chickens, just as they said they would on Hugh's Chicken run (because it was misleading).  Unfortunately only whole chickens are available under the Elmwood label.  Does that mean I resort to the standard breast/leg portions?

Nope!  I have invested in a good boning knife (it cost under a tenner for a good quality one - James Martin's) and I bought two Elmwood whole chickens today for around £3.50 each.  In less than 20 minutes I'd jointed my chickens to give me 4 breasts (3 went into chicken korma tonight, one left over for a pie tomorrow), 4 leg/thigh joints for the freezer (or 8 joints if I separate them down into separate legs and thighs), 4 wings - also for the freezer, will add to them everytime I do this til I have enough wings for a meal! - and two carcasses from which I made a fantastic stock (probably 4 or 5 pints of it) and picked off enough meat off of the carcass to go with the one chicken breast set aside for my pie to make a pie big enough for 4 hungry mouths (or I could use it for sarnies or a salad).

So that's 3 "proper" meals at least, or even 4 if I separate the legs and thighs into 8 joints instead of the 4 combined joints I took off the chickens, not to mention stock which I've used for chicken korma/pilau rice tonight, which will go into the base for my pie tomorrow and still more for the freezer for future risottos etc.

It's nonsense that people have to keep buying standard birds.  The difference in cost is negligable to trade up to the Freedom Food labels.  I'm on a fairly tight budget and look how much I got out of fresh chicken totalling less than £7 - not much more than the 2 for £5 standard birds but infinitely more tender, flavourful and much less sinewy and tough than the cheaper birds.

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 01 Mar 08 2:54pm

lei_lue

Member since Sat 01 Mar 08

My Chicken Yuck.

(Named that by my children cause it looks yuck but tastes yummo)

I know sounds truley unattractive but is always a huge hit in our household , 2 adults who like to eat and 4 always starving children.

This is totally adaptable with what type of pasta you want to use and also whether or not you use your own made or (pref good qual) jar/pre pack (please organic if possible) stuff.

You can make this to be a totally posh meal or bleeding poor depending on how and what you use. You can make a life (and budget) saving meal in those tough few days before pay day. Adapt to expense on all ingredients.

My Way....Adapt at will.

Chicken, about a handfull per person, big for big people small for small eaters or kiddlings:
Either use lovely bought thighs pan cooked and chopped up (if influential) or pickings off last nights whole roast chook.

Either around half a pumpkin (any breed depending season cost etc....), squash (whatever you call them depending where you come from) or sweet potatoe, my personal fave for the time being...

Sundried tomatoe pesto. Around a tablespoon or so roughly per 2 person serve.... Make your own or buy a jar.

Cream. I love thick full fat pouring cream, double cream or creme fraiche. Use at will...

Pasta: Really any is delightfull. This is a posh/comfort/budget/last minute on a wednesday night meal... Posh: Looks fab served seperately on a bed of homemade...Whatever. Poor: mix the whole lot in a pot with chosen pasta (Pre cooked, spirals work well).

Long winded intro but here is how it goes.

Get your chicken if its raw cook it. Then when and/or if already cooked, pick it to bits or chop it.

Boil or steam your pumpkin or squash or sweet potatoe until tender.

Drain the above veg and add a dollop of the pesto (per person) and a pour of cream and bash/mash to how you like.

At this point either, for posh presentation: put pasta neatly into bowls followed by pumpkin/squash/sweet potatoe mush/bash then top with chicken or dump all ingredients into one big pot or bowl stir, serve and enjoy.

Over the years I have added mushrooms, spring onions, bacon, garlic....great with garlic but my father in law hates garlic. Try it and let me know if you come up with a genious version of it.

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 02 Mar 08 3:18am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I just made something similar for lunch for my family.

We had a pile of chicken wings left in the fridge from a BBQ yesterday, so I picked all the yummy smokey meat off them, also had a few spoons of sundried tomato pesto left that I made a few weeks back, and approx 1/3 cup cream. Mixed all this together & then mixed it through some penne. Yummy! yummy

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 18 Mar 08 11:11am

Sweet Tomaita

Occupation Sales Assistant/Housewife
From Cambridgeshire, East England
Member since Thu 13 Mar 08

Hmm, lots of good points being made here  clap

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 23 Mar 08 7:35pm

Bugs Wabbit

From Hull, U.K.
Member since Sun 23 Mar 08

I watched the chicken and egg programme twice!! I needed to really take it all in and it changed my buying habits.

Since then, I have bought only free range birds and eggs and my conscience feels much better for it - plus they taste better!! yummy

I considered keeping my own birds but my wife was against it (for practical reasons) but I think that where there is a will, there is a way. I still would like to do this, maybe one day......

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 29 Mar 08 5:23am

macca1960

Occupation soft furnishings
From west midlands
Member since Mon 31 Oct 05

I've stopped buying whole chicken now,only buy breasts of chicken,get no waste that way. Best dish i do with chicken is a red hot curry,everyone in my house loves it.I'm going to  experiment tomorrow though,and do a chicken vegetable curry to see what the guys thinks yummy

Likes (0)