#11 Fri 14 Mar 08 11:03am

Sweet Tomaita

Occupation Sales Assistant/Housewife
From Cambridgeshire, East England
Member since Thu 13 Mar 08

Re: Have you tasted the difference?

itsmarie wrote:

Sweet Tomaita,
thanks for sharing your first post, how sweetly innocent, love stories like that, and yours of course GeoffP, we are all educated along the road of life and its so refreshing when we learn something new and make new disscoveries, we really do learn something new everyday, i am truly envious you live on a farm, i live in town and in a flat, im lucky as its a good area and we have lovely grounds that are cared for daily, but oh how i would love a patch of earth, my husband is now going to build inside our living room window a large window box, our window is south facing and has the sun all day, so it will hopefully be good growing conditions, in a sack, (just like Jamie) im going to try potatoes, and tomatoes and then onions.

Thank you Marie. Sharing our personal stories is in my opinion great. It makes reading and 'meeting' people online more enjoyable and even heart warming.

The window box sounds like a great idea. Keep me updated with how it all goes. I can just see it now, tomato vines growing up your window  big_smile  It'd be a talking point, don't you think?!

Unfortunately, I don't actually live on a farm, it's my in-laws that do. I've always wanted to live in a farm type enviroment. Not with too much livestock though, just a few chickens and ducks and of course, a big growing patch - a lot like Jamie.

We're (husband & me) looking forward to someday having a house that's a little more rural but until then we'll make do with our back garden. Also, thanks to Jamie we're currently saving up to start our own growing patch.

Like you, I'm eager to grow tomatoes, potatoes and onions, lots of herbs and tons of other vegetables too. I'd love to have a couple of chickens but our garden isn't big enough to house our dog aswell as chickens.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 14 Mar 08 12:13pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
Occupation Experimental learning
From Surrey UK
Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

My friend has a lovely big garden and she now has, 5 chickens, im lucky i often get her eggs, 2 goats, 3 dogs, rabbits and im sure if she gets her own way some sheep, and i will keep you posted on my super large window box, im going to see if we can make a start on it soon, in the mean time my son has a school project, which pretty much means i have a school project to do  lol  we have to make a hanging mobile of the solar system, a few weeks ago it was a tudor house, 40 and back at school, love it  lol

Last edited by itsmarie (Fri 14 Mar 08 12:15pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 14 Mar 08 2:41pm

Sweet Tomaita

Sounds like you've got your hands full. I loved learning about the solar system at school. Hope the mobile turns out well for you both. And a Tudor house, must've been a challenge? Our garden is a nice size for the area we live in, can comfortable fit say 10-15 people out there but I'd like a garden at least twice that size.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 14 Mar 08 7:02pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

Just been shopping and our local supermarket is definately changing !

Go back a few months and it was wall to wall "2 for a £5" on chickens with a small section with "organic" (as they have a small section of organic produce). After we watched the Hugh/Jamie shows on tv we thought right we will not only get the free range eggs but we will also buy free range chicken. That first time we couldn't find one so got beef instead. Next week we found a few "free range" birds (bit scrawny but I think they are keeping them to peoples budgets, ie most people going to that particular supermarket wouldn't be paying £20 for a bigger bird)...

Well this week not only have they got quite a row of "free range" birds there is also a new "Corn fed Free Range" so we're trying that some time this week !

Steve

Last edited by AskCy (Fri 14 Mar 08 7:04pm)

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 15 Mar 08 2:31pm

Sweet Tomaita

AskCy wrote:

Just been shopping and our local supermarket is definately changing !

Go back a few months and it was wall to wall "2 for a £5" on chickens with a small section with "organic" (as they have a small section of organic produce). After we watched the Hugh/Jamie shows on tv we thought right we will not only get the free range eggs but we will also buy free range chicken. That first time we couldn't find one so got beef instead. Next week we found a few "free range" birds (bit scrawny but I think they are keeping them to peoples budgets, ie most people going to that particular supermarket wouldn't be paying £20 for a bigger bird)...

Well this week not only have they got quite a row of "free range" birds there is also a new "Corn fed Free Range" so we're trying that some time this week !

Steve

That's great news Steve  clap 

May I ask which supermarket you're using to buy this chicken? I love chicken but have been really put off by all the PR about battery hens. Also, I've found that the taste is so watery and rubbery now. Looking forward to hearing your response, am really missing not eating chicken. Can't keep eating cuts of beef and lamb. Tis a tad boring now  yawn

Sweet Tomaita  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 16 Mar 08 2:26pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire

Was very nice indeed, just had it simply roasted (well sat on a bed of onion and white wine). I also noticed that uncooked it was much drier and fresh than the standard birds which always seem to be wet, greasy and have a slight smell to them (even when just bought well within date).

Made some roasts etc to go with it and then used the left overs and scraps to make a big pan of chicken and veg soup.

(its the supermarket where you have to pat your bum when they give you change...  lol )

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 16 Mar 08 3:31pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Battery chickens are usually "plumped up" by injecting the (dead) birds with water and sometimes hydrolysed meat protein - thats why they taste so watery. Cheap bacon is the same - have you noticed that the label always says something to the effect "87% meat".

If I'm buying chicken - I want 100%, thank you!

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 16 Mar 08 4:16pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire

Nice  puke

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 16 Mar 08 4:52pm

Khaines

Occupation Pigging out...