Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 16 Mar 08 6:39pm

Marigold

Occupation Purchasing & Part Time Therapist
From Nr Colchester, Essex
Member since Sun 16 Mar 08

Free Range Chickens in Essex

Hi
I have spent so long looking for somewhere to buy proper free range chicken - and..... I have come up with something that I thought I would share and would welcome your thoughts on.  Diaper Poultry claim that their brand "ST George's" now has a range of chickens that are produced to high welfare standards as set down by the RSPCA's Freedom Food Scheme.  The animals are barn reared, in smaller flocks, have natural daylight and perches.  The label allows traceability from "Farm to Table".  Sutton Hoe is another one to look out for.  I have contacted so many butchers in my local area to a ask if the chickens they sell are "field Free Range" and I was so disapointed.......most think that Free Range is in a barn!!! How hard can it be to find chickens for sale that have a life outside and are organically reared!  I live in Essex (near Colchester) surrounded by farms - but still no real joy.  If anyone knows where I can buy what I want, please let me know.  In the meantime, Diaper Chickens will have to do.  J if by remote chance you read this - as an "Essex Boy", where to do you source yours!?
Cheers xx

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 16 Mar 08 8:49pm

hotcookie101

Re: Free Range Chickens in Essex

am prob really naive but i buy lovely FR chic from the food co in marks tey.. or lots of farmers markets if you get the time check out big barn smile

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 22 Mar 08 6:14pm

Marigold

Hi
Thanks for reply.  Will check out the Food Company - to be honest I did not think about them.... they are a fair drive away from where I live - but if they are field reared and organic - I would buy from them.  What is "big barn"?  Love the farmers markets - but so many are held weekdays - which I can not do.  There is one at Dovercourt on a Saturday, not that much there though and one at Wivenhoe, again not really that much there.  Colchester's is on a Friday - no good to me.  If you know of any others that are around the area, would be very interested.  Keep warn and well.  Happy Easter.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 23 Mar 08 4:20pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Big Barn is a "Virtual Farmers Market" - lists many farm shops and suppliers:-

http://www.bigbarn.co.uk/

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 24 Mar 08 1:00pm

Marigold

Hi GeoffP
Thanks... will check it out now. big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 24 Mar 08 2:51pm

Marigold

Also - thanks to hotcookie for the bigbarn tip - have had a look - great website. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 07 Apr 10 12:38pm

Essex Birds

Member since Wed 07 Apr 10

Hi I would like to introduce the company that I work for Essex Birds we are producers of high quality free range chicken, based near Maldon in Essex. We pride ourselves on our chicken being keep to the highest free range standards and by using traditional processing methods our chickens are succulent and tasty and have the traditional chicken flavour rather than being bland like so much chicken is these days. I'm glad to see that one of you brought a chicken from the Food Company as we supply them with our chicken. Please see our web site for other place our chicken can be purchased or contact us direct. I can guarantee you love it. Thanks Jody www.essexbirds.co.uk

Likes (0)