Jamie Oliver

forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 10 Apr 08 7:15pm

ian1969uk

Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

Re: Knives in a Nutshell

I know I'm not Ben, but will offer the opinion that Victorinox Fibrox knives are perfect for a trainee chef to use.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 11 Apr 08 3:02am

bennyb0

Member since Mon 07 Apr 08

Congratulations on your son being accepted into chef's school!  I actually agree with ian1969uk on this one :P  Victorinox Fibrox are great knives for a trainee chef.  Victorinox Fibrox are easy to sharpen so the class on sharpening should be a breeze, they don't cost a fortune and knives sometimes go 'missing' at chef's school (ie. stolen by some lame-brained fellow student), they won't shatter if dropped, etc. etc.  The one thing I'll say negatively about Victorinox Fibrox at chef school is when they teach you how to properly grip a knife (partially on the handle and partially 'pinching' the blade between your thumb and forefinger) the large Fibrox handle is maybe not as comfortable as a good European knife that has a slim riveted handle.

The first set of knives is rarely a chef students last set of knives or the set of knives they will use throughout their career.  Of course your son will be the envy of school if he shows up to classes with a set of Wusthof Classics but I would suggest following ian1969's advice and go with Victorinox Fibrox until your son has the hang of things (ie. maybe year two?).  Then maybe start with a knife or two from Wusthof or Henckels and slowly build him a collection of great knives that will last his career.

The school will probably give him a list of knives they suggest coming to classes with but in my past experience of equipping young soon-to-be chefs he only needs 5 knives to start with: an 8" or 9" Chef knife, a 5" boning knife (semi-rigid), a 9" or 10" bread knife, and a couple paring knives.  They will also require him to bring a sharpening steel.  But do not buy a ceramic or diamond steel, purchase a regular steel... most schools insist upon it.

Regards,
Ben
PS. Yes my name is really Ben.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 11 Apr 08 10:38am

proud mom

Forum champ
Occupation Proud mom....
From West midlands
Member since Wed 09 Apr 08

Ian and Ben,
Thankyou so so so much for your advice it is really so appreciated and helpful and I will certainly look at the ones suggested. Ben I also like your advice of building his knives up gradually that is actually a fab idea so again thankyou bucket loads...  thumbsup
Hope to speak to you both again and have a fantastic day..
Anna-Marie xxx

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 12 Apr 08 12:34am

CarlosAntonio

Forum champ
Occupation Administration for an Awesome Company!
From Arequipa, Peru
Member since Tue 16 Oct 07

OK I look forward to people wanting to kill me for this statement but first let me say that I do love Wusthof knives.  whistle

If you are looking for a very reasonably priced set of knives check out Martha Stewarts Knife set with block. It's probably only available in the US or Canada at Macy's.

I bought a set for my mom for Christmas and we have been very satisfied with them. She's not out to be a chef so these were perfect for her amount of cooking.

I have used cheap knives that cost $30 a set and I have used my Wusthof. The cheap ones handles break to easily and the Wusthof are just to expensive for the average home kitchen.

Martha Stewart's are perfect for an around the house set and they hold a good edge.

They usually sell for $150.00 US but Macy's always has a good sale on kitchenware I bought mine for $99.99

It included 4 steak knives, a paring knife, 2 Santoku knives, 2 Chef knives, 1 Bread knife, 1 Sharpening thing-a-ma-jiggy, plus one or two other knives.

The Santoku knives are my favourite.

Mac

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 13 Apr 08 7:09pm

bennyb0

Hey Carlos,
I'm not going to put down Martha Stewart knives too much.  They, like Victorinox, are a good bang for the buck.  I've attempted to professionally sharpen a few in the past with mixed success but I do have to admit, other than that, my experience with them is very limited.  However, I had an opportunity to speak with a few of my old colleagues in the industry and although they all said they were decent knives, they also all said the same thing about Martha Stewart knives, "quality control is sh*t".  If you are in the market for Martha Stewart knives, open several sets in the store and look at the edge, then feel the edge... pick and choose the best few knives to complete a set.  Apparently some people have bought Martha Stewart knives, took them home and found that the knife edges were all burred or extremely dull!!  This is inexcusable in my opinion but for $100 a set, I guess having someone inspect the knives before packing was just too expensive for multi-millionaire Martha.

Some other Martha Stewart knife notes:
Comfy handle, easy to sharpen, good corrosion resistance and durability, below average edge retention, and very poor quality control.  Highly recommend having them professionally sharpened before use in the kitchen.

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 13 Apr 08 7:32pm

proud mom

Forum champ
Occupation Proud mom....
From West midlands
Member since Wed 09 Apr 08

Well I am certainly not wanting to kill you Mac  whistle  but I have to be honest with you I am so over joyed with my son that I am prepared to pay anything really so that he can be the best  big_smile  (its a mom thing I think) and I have even threatened him that when he is on Ready Steady Cook I shall be showing baby photo's of him to Ainsley Harriet (if he is still doing it then of course).. Seriously though I just want him to achieve his dream and I of course am behind him all the way. Thankyou for your advice though and I certainly will give them a look and hope to speak again soon.
Anna-Marie

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 20 Apr 08 8:41pm

bennyb0

Shun are nice but in my opinion over-priced.  The low-end Shuns (the Classics) with the laminated blade sure look pretty but the knife edge of VG-10 stainless steel heat treated to Rockwell hardness 61 is just too fragile for kitchen duty.  That, and the requirement for being proficient with a sharpening stone (preferrably Japanese water stone), I don't recommend them for the average kitchen.

Don't get me wrong, Shun are very nice knives... very sharp and very pretty.  But for the price, I'd recommend a good German forged kitchen knife for most people's kitchens.  However, if you are into making your own sushi, pick up a Shun Pro Yanagiba and a Shun Pro Nakiri... they are one of the best of their kind (without going to carbon steels).

PS I own a couple of the Pro series that I use for fresh herbs, the thickness of blade is incredible on the 5" Deba...

Last edited by bennyb0 (Sun 20 Apr 08 8:43pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Mon 21 Apr 08 1:26am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I really like the look and feel of this kyocera black zirconia nakiri knife, but it is'nt really something i would use enough to buy.

http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/images/ … 150nbk.jpg

Last edited by Ashen (Mon 21 Apr 08 1:28am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#19 Wed 23 Apr 08 3:21pm

gardkarlsen

From Stavanger, Norway
Member since Fri 25 Jan 08

Hi

Thanks for the summary. I'm looking at buying a new knife at the moment and some of them are really, really expensive in Norway. Maybe I have to look into buying online  wink

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 23 Apr 08 11:21pm

bennyb0

I'm not surprised about the expensive knives in Norway.  Some of the most famous laminated steels are Norwegian.  If you don't find a good deal online, let me know.  Maybe we can do a trade... Wusthof for a custom Per Arne Berg?  Just kidding... mostly...

Ben

Likes (0)