forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 24 May 08 12:32am

maudie1

Member since Fri 23 May 08

New to keeping chickens in the garden - help needed

Thinking of having chickens - but what do you do when you go on holiday?

What about a housing system that can be transported on a trailer to a relative a couple of miles down the road? Any thoughts?

If you have chickens do you need to be around at dawn and dusk everyday to let them in and out?

help

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 24 May 08 10:58am

markanderson

Member since Wed 19 Dec 07

Re: New to keeping chickens in the garden - help needed

hi i have chickens in an eglu and is small and easy to take to a friends house if i go away for a long time , they do take themselves off to bed at night but i do put them in there run if i go out ,the food and water last for about three days so you can go away for the weekends but they are really great fun and the eggs are really nice , hope this helps.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 24 May 08 12:50pm

starbrite

Occupation Butcher
From France
Member since Sun 11 May 08

I see a lot of debates about eglus V wooden house, the topic then goes onto the cost of each, it amazes me that people want to spend money on this. Ive a collection of sheds on my land, each one getting better and more complicated as I improve my technique, the one thing they have in common is they are all built out of old pallets, my only expense is I cover them with a waterproof cover and then use cheap, sometimes free ( I like free) tongue and groove wood to make them look professional. My chickens free range, often they go off over the neighbouring land, but are always back in there house at dusk. My other birds cant get over the fence but have the run of just over 1000 sqm.
  As you want to keep them in the garden you need to think about, Dogs, Foxes and the height of your fence. A fox when finding free range chicks will take one, however in a confined area will kill them all. I don't clip wings, and because of the way I'm set up, the chicks have a chance of getting away from the fox. Having 5 dogs and my goats also discourages the fox.

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll4/ … _tab_album

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 12 Oct 08 1:03am

louisewomble

Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

I bought a seconhand eglu last march and now would never be without garden chickens!!! 

The eglu is easy to keep clean and is ideal for taking to a friends house when you go on holiday!  The only problem would be persuading the friend to let you have them back again!!!! big_smile

Louise

and Emily and Chirp!!!!

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 16 Oct 08 4:51pm

wendywoo007

Occupation childcare provider
From kent
Member since Fri 26 Sep 08

Hi everyone to be truefull im new to this, i love jamie, and love the drive he has. i really have a problem with the way chickens are kept, so much so i went and brought 4 and have them at home,, wen i go shoping with my kids one 6 and one 4 they say we dont have to buy eggs mum do we, and somethimes u will get the odd person say oh why not. and of course i dont have to say anything the kids say it all. dont get me wrong i live in a bigish house, but it dosent have really any garden as such, but after letting the chickens run free for the first 2 weeks, i went out to put some wine in the fridge in the garg and nearly feel arse over tit, so my best friend fenced off a bit of my garden for my lovely girls, ive got 4 children and had my hens now 6 or so months but my kid (the younger one of course) every morning go out and get the eggs like it was the first morning, when we got the hens they were to young to lay and yes me and my husband did thing of getting an egg out the fridge and putting it in the cop. but we didnt and the first morning that chickin layed that first egg was great. we fryed it and all 6 of us had a bit lol and to this day my kids still get dressed and up for school and go out and get the eggs. its really great...i wud really say to anyone u dont need much land they are happy just with a bit  and a rabbit hutch to sleep in at night. please dont buy smart price eggs or value eggs the chickens they come from live 1 year and after the have lived on a A4 peice of papper they are minced for dog and cat food at just 1 years of age, not good really think u only need a small garden and a rabbit hutch and think about the money u wud be saving in the long run as each chicken is 12.00 u wud never need to buy anymore eggs i havent please think about it guy......Hope this help anyone thinking of buying garden chickens  big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 17 Oct 08 12:28pm

marydoll

Member since Fri 17 Oct 08

Hi folks
3 weeks ago I got 4 hens from a farm that would have been turned into dog food. The farm keeps them for about 15 months then they get in new stock. I was a bit worried about taking on this type of hen as I am new to keeping hens and I thought that they would need more attention than I could offer.

The poor hens had never seen the light of day before and had slight baldy patches. They are now loving life, we get 2-3 eggs per day and they are HUGE!! I cant even fit them into the egg boxes designed for large eggs, the lid will not go down. They all have different personalities and I have named them all, its funny as visitors cant tell the difference to look at them but I can. 

We open the coop door at about 7 in the morning and they go into the run which is attached. As long as someone is in the house I let them out of the run and they wander around their new garden and attempt to come into the back door - I dont let them in. If we are not at home the run is secure enough to leave them there.

At 7pm they are always in the coop snuggled up for bed so we shut the door. I think that in the winter as the day gets shorter they will go to bed a bit earlier and in the summer they will stay up longer.

It is lovely having the hens in the garden, they are lucky ladies! I feel quite good about rescuing them but I cant help thinking about the amount of hens that are stuck in those cages just now. I know they are there for a reason but in this day and age there is no excuse. People have been turning a blind eye to this for too long. I dont know anyone who would eat a caged hens egg if they sat in front of them and watched it suffering.

For the little time/expense that is needed to keep them we get about 16 eggs a week(I think that this will increase in the summer). I dont know how much a supermarket would charge for these as some of them are so big, put it this way it is well worth it.

I will not be eating my hens but I am certainly eating thier eggs - guilt free big_smile

PS dont get a cockrel if you have close neighbours.
mrgreen

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 18 Oct 08 5:49am

geelong

Occupation mum of 2
From australia
Member since Wed 15 Oct 08

I have had chickens for about 2 years and some have been ex battery some i have had since thay were 6 weeks i all so have ducks if you dont  foxs it is much easier thay will go to bed all on there own mine sleep in the shed now thay have there own place to live i feed them in the morning with pellets and get fresh scraps for the veggie place i worm them every 6 months .
Thay also need somewhere to lay their egg  so thay are kept clean as dirty eggs can make you sick get a book on chickens and read up on them there is always something to learn good luck thay are lots of fun and the kids love it. 

smile

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 19 Oct 08 2:31pm

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

What came first the chicken or the egg, well i think the chicken because after that people got eggs big_smile
So much fun a chicken only some people dont think about what it needs for food and what to do when sick  etc.Please also talk about this and think about this before you take a chicken or more...
You care about the food, you care about the animal.. thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 20 Oct 08 10:07am

wendywoo007

Occupation childcare provider
From kent
Member since Fri 26 Sep 08

HI guy, i would love to rescue some batt hens but ant find any were in kent, does enyone have any ideas...... already have 4 hens ...................

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 20 Oct 08 12:31pm

geelong

Occupation mum of 2
From australia
Member since Wed 15 Oct 08

What came first the chicken or the egg it was the egg .what layed the egg was not a chicken but what hatched out was .
Love all my animal and if i dont know something i go and find out so every day i learn something new.

Likes (0)