forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 01 Feb 08 11:26pm

ShazzyM

Member since Fri 01 Feb 08

Antibiotics in Battery chickens

There has long been a debate about the routine usage of antibiotics in livestock.  The main concern is that over use can reduce the effectiveness of Antibiotics on Humans.  It is a bit scary to think that battery hens are still routinely treated this way when it is plain to see that little concern is given over the welfare and treatment of the birds themselves.  If they cant be cared for how can we be sure that the drugs are administered prorerly and safely.  Maybe it is why so many people dont respond to antibiotics today!

What say you! sad

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 04 Feb 08 12:22pm

SUZI Q

Occupation mum
From north east uk
Member since Sun 16 Sep 07

Re: Antibiotics in Battery chickens

As my Dad is a chicken farmer (i can only speak for the company he works for) if he suspects his chickens have an illness he sends some samples off to the vets (dead chickens) they then test them to determine what they have died from and then they will issue a script to treat those chickens every script that is issued is kept and logged for the supermarket they go to  to inspect .
Its not like the old days anymore where they were put into the food " just in case"
Hope this has helped!

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 09 Feb 08 8:57am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

This topic made me think about the fact that people in Australia still believe that chickens are routinely given growth hormones.. in fact people still recommend feeding chicken necks to "bull terrier" type dogs to build up that bulky chest.

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/stories/s543233.htm

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 17 Jul 08 7:39am

skirret

Member since Thu 17 Jul 08

Yes I read the landline story.Just one thought you might wish to consider if you have read it and are happily re-assured .It states how the size of supermarket chicken breasts have grown considerably in recent years making consumers comment.This is put down to chicken "growing larger".Evolution takes millions of years, not ten............Gosh, what might be causing this?

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 17 Jul 08 8:20am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Skirret - in a couple of words - selective breeding.

All domesticated animals (and vegetables, come to that) are selectively bred. Its nothing new, nothing unnatural, and its been going on since human beings stopped being hunter-gatherers and became settled agrarian.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 20 Jul 08 1:00am

HomesteadDiva

Occupation Licensed Veterinary Technician and Homesteading Diva
From Belfair, WA USA
Member since Tue 29 Jan 08

Sadly, Geoff is right.  The same hand of fate has been dealt to turkeys (& other small & large livestock as well).  What was once considered a fault is now desired.  Raising turkeys & chickens that are so huge that they cannot reproduce naturally disturbs me.  Weak legs (but large!), large breasts, meaty thighs...not a chickie I'd take to dinner.  ;-)

That's one of the main reasons I chose to raise "heritage" livestock vs. production.  Heritage chickens & turkeys are probably different in each country but I'm raising Narragansett & Slate turkeys, Dominiques & Black Java chickens.

The turkeys have much less breast meat and certainly do not qualify for "ButterBall" status but oh my goodness the meat is to die for yummy ....not from.

HD

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 20 Jul 08 2:46am

Ms Kira

Occupation freelancer
From Greenville, SC
Member since Mon 07 Jul 08

skirret wrote:

Yes I read the landline story.Just one thought you might wish to consider if you have read it and are happily re-assured .It states how the size of supermarket chicken breasts have grown considerably in recent years making consumers comment.This is put down to chicken "growing larger".Evolution takes millions of years, not ten............Gosh, what might be causing this?

Wasn't there just a post here recently about someone whose grandfather grew up raising chickens, and he said when they started giving them the hormones they grew 3 months' worth in 5 weeks?

I did see that recently, but maybe it wasn't on this site.

And again, not sure what country he was from either, but... yes, extremely rapid growth can be caused by hormones. It can also be caused by forced feeding/overfeeding and feeding the wrong types of food (what the chicken wouldn't normally eat) or GM food. Chicken farms for KFC have been found to routinely feed the birds so much their legs break and they can't walk. I refuse to go there, and I can't find anything better in the store, so I haven't had chicken in a while, except for celebrations 2x this summer.

~Kira

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 20 Jul 08 3:24am

HomesteadDiva

Occupation Licensed Veterinary Technician and Homesteading Diva
From Belfair, WA USA
Member since Tue 29 Jan 08

Ms. Kira wrote:

Chicken farms for KFC have been found to routinely feed the birds so much their legs break and they can't walk. I refuse to go there, and I can't find anything better in the store, so I haven't had chicken in a while, except for celebrations 2x this summer.

Just about any chicken is better than KFC.  I've never been impressed with their chicken and it makes me so sick that even the thought of eating it makes my stomach gurgle. 

Fast food is boring and tasteless to me, way too greasy and oddly sweet.  I prefer my food home grown & home cooked...
But then..that's why I'm the "Homestead Diva".   big_smile

Oh...but there's a caveat; I have yet to make a decent pizza, I'm workin' on it!  (thanks to J.O.)  Mostly have to train my taste buds...hehehe

HD

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 03 Aug 10 2:08pm

JohnConnor12

From usa
Member since Tue 03 Aug 10

hi i'm new to this post can't beat you stalwarts on your composite..just can suggest that antibiotics are simply quick relief not permanent solution from disease.  roll

Likes (0)