forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Mon 28 Jul 08 3:26am

kraven

Occupation eater of pie
From Virginia USA
Member since Sun 20 Jul 08

Re: Vegetables and fruits that we have forgotten about....

I like searching out heirloom seeds and growing old heirloom produce.
Lots of family recipes work around family heirloom vegetables for canning and cooking.

For example, our local Native population, the Eastern Band of the Cherokee, have what is known as a Cherokee tomato.
It's a large, dark, juicy, squatty tomato with a very unique flavor. They are a specific type of tomato and are very delicious to eat. They are, however, not the same as your regular slicer, big boy, or store tomato.

I also like to find edible plants in the wild, roots, and acorns/seeds.

Likes (0)

#32 Mon 28 Jul 08 3:29am

jdl

From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Tue 12 Sep 06

It is funny how foods come in and out of style.  When I was little my aunt had a pomegrante tree.  None of my friend even knew what they were.  Now ( 35 years later) pomegrante juice is becoming availible in the supermarkets.

Australia has an interesting history with food.  Much of what we eat is what was brought out to Australia by settlers from the UK and Europe over 200 years ago.  They did not know about 'bush tucker', native edible plants and so persisted in developing crops comparitable to those they were familar with.  As different cultures immigrated to Australia they brought with them their own specialitise.
The names we call our fresh produce is often that from the orginating country ie zucchini, wombok, galangal.

I am interested in heirloom vegetables, not only for their variety in taste but also for the preservation of genetic diversity. 

My mum sometimes makes quince jelly.  We get the quinces from two old trees (over 100years old) that mark the spot where my great grandparents house stood.

Mulberries are another old fashioned fruit that I'm trying to grow.  Once again I used to gather these from a tree that was over 100 years old.

Likes (0)

#33 Mon 28 Jul 08 5:02am

Shannon369

Member since Sun 27 Jul 08

I love finding out about old fruit and veg that have been forgotten about.  A few gardening companies in Australia sell heritage seeds and I love finding out about how many different varieties of things are out there - 200 varities of tomatoes, all different coloured carrot, etc.

I've never heard of Cardoon, though.  I'll ask one of my favourite gardening companies about it and see if they've used it.

It sounds interesting, though, so hopefully they do have it.

I've just got all of my fruit trees planted so it's just about time to start on the veggies.

Likes (0)

#34 Mon 28 Jul 08 10:20am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I often think I must contact the seedsavers and adopt some semi in pericolo di estinzione, but I'm too disordered and approssimativa in my sawing, I fear they would disappear or hide in my garden, and if I'm asked where they are????? oops

Likes (0)

#35 Tue 29 Jul 08 12:19am

andy simon

Member since Mon 28 Jul 08

I love cardoons and some of the most memorable dishes I've tasted have been when they've been slow-cooked - in Moroccan lamb tagines, Greek beef and cardoon stews and Provencal gratins. If you're in a European or North African market and lucky enough to find them, buy a bunch to cook immediatly, you won't be disappointed with their earthy, bitter taste.

Likes (0)

#36 Tue 29 Jul 08 4:32am

Ririn

Member since Tue 29 Jul 08

Hi Jamie!
This is my first message since I registered and I am still trying to get the hang of how this works...
Mmmmmm..., on the matter of forgotten vegetable and fruits, there are a few here in Indonesia... but I forget what's the name of it, hahaha...!
Oh yes, when you come to Indonesia? Because here lots of food that you can try to make although maybe not all the spices suitable for you and you have lots of fans in here...!!!

Add me to your MySpace Page and posted in MySpace page (qadri.laruku.mania@gmail.com)...

Reply please and sorry if disturbed you and also my English skills is so messy.

SUCCESS FOR YOUR CHEF CAREER...!!!

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#37 Tue 29 Jul 08 12:00pm

magenta

Member since Sun 22 Oct 06

Hi Jamie, here in the north of Spain is very usual eat cardo. Just have to boil the clean pieces of cardo. And then, in a sauce pan with olive oil, fry some chopedd garlic and then put some flour (to prepare the garlic bechamel white sauce), some milk and stir. Then put over the sauce the pieces of cardo, and serve hot with fryed almond slices or pine kernels. You can put some paprika in the sauce if you like a little bit hot flavour.
I hope you try it...
have fun!! big_smile

Likes (0)

#38 Tue 29 Jul 08 12:40pm

bugz

YAMS

i find these are very hard to find in australia, used to eat them when living in New Zealand. commonly mistaken to be sweet potato.

these ones : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oca

Last edited by bugz (Tue 29 Jul 08 12:51pm)

Likes (0)

#39 Tue 29 Jul 08 3:18pm

topcat1

Hi
My dad grew cardoon plants, given to him by my grandfather, under the illusion he was growing artichokes. As a result we ate them much as you would a globe artichoke with a hot butter vinagerette sauce.

We discovered that the stems are more commonly eaten but must be blanched during growing.

Likes (0)

#40 Tue 29 Jul 08 3:21pm

cypriot

Occupation Rehabilitation Coordinator
From Adelaide

Hi
Cardoon grows in the wild in Cyprus and was cleaned, and the globe was eaten in a variety of ways
- raw, with lemon squeezed on the top and a sprinkle of salt
- fried with eggs
- in risotto
and in a meat stew.  All delicious.

Lucky for me, it grows wild here in Australia too!  My unclie owns a few acres and every year, we go and pick these beautiful 'flowers', clean them and freeze them.  We then take them out of the freezer all year round and enjoy this cullinary delight!

Has anyone tried ochrus vetch (louvana)?
Drizzled with olive oil, vinegar and salt is a delicacy!

Likes (0)