#231 Mon 04 Aug 08 6:38pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Jamie's Fowl Dinners

welcome to the forum phoenix123   smile

I don't think that it is the public that are soley to blame .

When I was a child , chicken was considered a treat , it was not as common place on peoples tables as it is nowadays. It was quite expensive.It was far more common to have a joint of mutton or beef on the family table.
However , with the introduction more intensive farming methods and the speed that the chickens grew, the chickens became more common place and cheaper.
I think many have grown to rely on chickens as a form of cheap meat and protein in their diets.

I think that the speed that chickens grow enabled the supply and demand to increase . At the end of the day , it is the marketing of these birds that drove down the price and made chicken more common place.

Chicken has become cheaper and cheaper over the years and its basically been encouraged by the supermarkets.

Likes (0)

#232 Mon 04 Aug 08 6:51pm

Pete

Forum champ
From The Office
Member since Tue 18 May 04

I've eaten raw chicken.. in Japan..

i must admit, it's much nicer cooked!

Likes (0)

#233 Mon 04 Aug 08 6:53pm

phoenix123

Member since Mon 04 Aug 08

Your right about marketing. But you can't disagree I have a point with the way people salivate so much over chicken! Maybe it is just my generation? But it seems not only are people eating it 5 times a week but it appears in nearly every meal that my friends eat. They also tend to choose chicken when eating out, over other things too, so price doesnt factor in there when they are paying $25+ for a chicken meal at a restaurant!

Likes (0)

#234 Tue 05 Aug 08 3:50am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Mummza... roast beef would be about the most expensive joint now....

And we NEVER see hoggart or mutton...

Its a disgrace really,, and anyone my age with whom I have this conversation tells me they wouldnt eat it as it tastes bad... I can almost guarantee they have never had it.. EVER!

Dad tells me when he was a kid the cartilage bit at the base of the breast bone was almost all bone when he was a kid. Im not sure if its what he thinks it means, but more to do with the fast growing breeds & the fact that the chicken are still babies when killed.
I think Dad thinks its a bit like the elephants now being born without tusks.. evolution at work type thing.

Likes (0)

#235 Tue 05 Aug 08 7:08am

Jinxed

Member since Tue 05 Aug 08

All I can say is 'Good on you Jamie', its great to get the issue more widely out these as so many people just don't have a clue what really goes on in factories to produce their lovely roast dinner, that or they just don't listen and then can plead ignorance. Its horrible what he did to the chickens but they are only a few of those killed everyday and sometimes people will only understand things if shown in graphic detail.
so  thumbsup to jamie

Likes (0)

#236 Sun 07 Sep 08 7:59am

boring_sundays

Member since Sun 07 Sep 08

just like to add, the whole meat is natural thing is a wee bit flawed. sure, we have those 2 little canines, but we have some major issues in the stomach department. to be proper carnivores, we need way more stomach acid to break meat down like a real carnivore, e.g. lions, tigers, bears, etc. also, carnivores have short intestines to make sure that meat isn't rotting inside them, not what we want at all.  i'm sure that whoever is reading this is perfectly healthy, I'm just saying that it doesn't have to be that way, it isn't even necessarily meant to be that way, cut the meat and everyone will be much happier.

by the way, my big thumbs up to jamie, this proggramme is just what is needed to get the public thinking. keep it up.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#237 Sun 07 Sep 08 8:26am

boring_sundays

oops, just read that other post, by that guy, called................something. i cant remember but he was a tiny bit aggressive and obviously not too keen on vegetarianism. firstly, found his arguments a bit funny, the sort of thing those people say who really can't be stuffed being vegetarian (which is ok if you admit it) but what you ened up saying is cpompletley ludicrous. if you havn't read his post i'll summarise:1.)
eating chicken is good for the chickens becuase if you become vegetarian they will be release and then die because they don't know hoe to look after themselves.
2.) Being vegetarian is bad for you becuase there is NO fat or protein.
3.) being vegetarian is bad gfor the planet becaause green house gases are caused by three not being plants, caused by all the vegetarians eating all the vegetables.

ok, now you see ehat I mean, RIDICULOUS. all 3 are completeley insane! firstly, if you become vegetarian the whole industry will not just stop killing chickens and release them all into the wild. instead demand will slowly go down, and then the number of chickens bred will go down too, slowly the number of deaths will go down. each year a vegetarian prevents a 100 animals being slaughtered ofr them.

2.) this is so badly researched i really can barely beleive it. if you are vegetrain you generally live longer. for protein yo have dairy products, nuts, soy, grains, legumes and a whole lot in veges and fruit. fat is easy! you can still eat chocolate and chips as a vege.

3.) insane! plants are much more space efficient that cattle. think of the number of corn cobs per metre compared to cows. the amazon is being cut down so cattle can be kept the cleared ground. like the chicken scenario, vegetariansism reduces demand, so less cows are injected with sperm to make new ones. not even breeding happens naturally in most meat places.

so, in conclusion, the person who said being vege is good for those three things was right. the other guy was wrong. what a shame. i might just go take cover now, that other guy will be aiming a gun at me soon. wish me luck.   crossed

Likes (0)

#238 Sun 07 Sep 08 9:13am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

boring_sundays wrote:

oops, just read that other post, by that guy, called................something. i cant remember but he was a tiny bit aggressive and obviously not too keen on vegetarianism. firstly, found his arguments a bit funny, the sort of thing those people say who really can't be stuffed being vegetarian (which is ok if you admit it) but what you ened up saying is cpompletley ludicrous. if you havn't read his post i'll summarise:1.)
eating chicken is good for the chickens becuase if you become vegetarian they will be release and then die because they don't know hoe to look after themselves.
2.) Being vegetarian is bad for you becuase there is NO fat or protein.
3.) being vegetarian is bad gfor the planet becaause green house gases are caused by three not being plants, caused by all the vegetarians eating all the vegetables.

ok, now you see ehat I mean, RIDICULOUS. all 3 are completeley insane! firstly, if you become vegetarian the whole industry will not just stop killing chickens and release them all into the wild. instead demand will slowly go down, and then the number of chickens bred will go down too, slowly the number of deaths will go down. each year a vegetarian prevents a 100 animals being slaughtered ofr them.

2.) this is so badly researched i really can barely beleive it. if you are vegetrain you generally live longer. for protein yo have dairy products, nuts, soy, grains, legumes and a whole lot in veges and fruit. fat is easy! you can still eat chocolate and chips as a vege.

3.) insane! plants are much more space efficient that cattle. think of the number of corn cobs per metre compared to cows. the amazon is being cut down so cattle can be kept the cleared ground. like the chicken scenario, vegetariansism reduces demand, so less cows are injected with sperm to make new ones. not even breeding happens naturally in most meat places.

so, in conclusion, the person who said being vege is good for those three things was right. the other guy was wrong. what a shame. i might just go take cover now, that other guy will be aiming a gun at me soon. wish me luck.   crossed

If this is so how come every time this topic has come up with any GP I have ever visited they ask if Im a veggo & then express sincere gratefulness that you are not, i have even had doctors tell me that to be a veggo is crazy as you miss so many essential nutrients unless you are very careful to plan your food combining.

And as for your gun comment... thats just idiocy, and offensive to boot.

Likes (0)

#239 Sun 07 Sep 08 1:33pm

JMW

Occupation Manager and Projectionist
From Christchurch, New Zealand

I just saw this show - it aired last week in New Zealand.  THANKYOU JAMIE FOR BRINGING THIS TO OUR ATTENTION!  After watching this I have emailed major poultry suppliers in NZ to ask similar questions on the welfare of chickens in NZ as I want to know what im eating and where its coming from!

Likes (0)

#240 Mon 08 Sep 08 2:40am

kiwiteen

Member since Wed 03 Sep 08

I watched J.F.D with my mum and about half an hour into it we were both crying. But I thought it was great because everyone has this attitude that if they dont see it, it isnt happening so Im trying to get all of my friends to watch the proggrammes.We both agreed that we'd like to do something like buying free range eggs, but we cant afford to.Solution; We have 4 chooks now! I just have to go hunting for the eggs. . . thumbsup

Likes (0)