Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 03 Oct 08 6:35pm

kaka22milan

Member since Sat 12 Apr 08

Brie & Camembert

I've just purchased the above, and a colleague at work asked me what the difference between the two was, I can only suggest the regions.

I understand that traditionally Brie is produced near Paris, and Camembert in Normandy. As for the taste and texture, I think they're practically identical although I've not had Camembert in ages so I'm looking forward to comparing the two before I cook with it.

The Camembert I'm using on Saturday to stuff potato skins, that I'm serving with gammon and a tomato salad.  I'm going to do the potatoes in the oven a while then scoop them out (making a nice circular dollop of potato with a chive sticking out so as not to waste the scooped out bit) and then fill with the cheese and grill, or oven it for about 5 - 10 mins close to serving time.

Any suggestions? Do's and Don'ts with cheeses like this?  Serving ideas?

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 03 Oct 08 7:21pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Brie & Camembert

Besides region and shape I was told by someone French that traditionally camembert has a stronger flavor while brie is milder.
(Though I have had some really mild camemberts...)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 03 Oct 08 8:10pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

They are similar cheeses but they still have their own identity...

Brie will usually come from Melun or Meaux.... (I prefer the one from Meaux!)

and Camembert is usually made in Normandy...

They are various varieties of camembert but you should aim to buy one made from "Lait cru" - they are so much nicer...  yummy

My favourite recipe for camembert:

You remove it from the wooden box, peel the packaging off and then put the cheese back in the box. Add dried thyme or any other strong dried herb (marjoran is good too) and a drizzle of honey... grill in the oven and serve with crusty french bread... I like to use a rustic loaf for this or a walnut bread that I toast a little bit... absolutely fab!
big_smile
Frenchie

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 03 Oct 08 8:21pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Frenchie that sounds absolutely lovely! How long do you have to keep it in the oven for?

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 03 Oct 08 8:24pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

It depends how mature is the cheese to start with...

If the skin is very white and the cheese still feels very compact, then you might want to leave it in the oven a little longer....

I would say, start with 15mn with a pre-heated grill/oven and do a little checking after that... it should kinda sink a little bit in the oven as the cheese is melting under the skin....

It's really yummy.. you could also serve it with sweet stuff like a few grapes on the side.. some chutney..... or why not some walnuts/hazelnuts......

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 03 Oct 08 9:37pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

I went to a lunch given by BNP, the French bank, not the British Nazis, a while back and had Brie and grape sandwiches, something I would never have thought of, but it was really good together.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 04 Oct 08 10:45am

kaka22milan

Member since Sat 12 Apr 08

Thanks for the responses, was the Selfridges cheese counter woman correct in saying that brie doesn't cook very well?

I was a bit shocked at first when I read MrGrumpy's comment, sounds nice though....I wouldn't like to imagine what they serve at the skinhead gathering...

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 04 Oct 08 12:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Brie and grape sandwiches or baggetes are very enjoyable.
Brie and cranberry sauce sandwiches or baggettes are also good.

I find that Camembert has a deeper flavour than that of Brie. Although both are milder cheeses.

Camembert baked or grilled as Fench_vanilla says is realy very good, even without herbs on top it is realy nice , but watch out because you will probably eat the whole cheese before you realise !!

kaka22milan , I think that it depends what you want to do with the Brie as to wether it cooks well or not, it melts fast and does not have much depth of flavour if its added to a dish , I sometimes like to lie thin slices of Brie over things that I have cooked as the heat of the food will melt the Brie and I find that enjoyable.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 04 Oct 08 2:06pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

I have eaten lovely brie that was just grilled and served with bread. - sort of like Frenchie's suggestion, but without the lovely seasonings etc. (At someone else's house)

Thank you Frenchie! Sounds wonderful. You already made my mouth water in the other thread - but now I think I need to do some shopping lol

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 04 Oct 08 2:40pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I had some Brie in France last week that was a realy soft but closer texture and very creamy, I have no idea what variety it was. It was far deeper than I have seen Brie before.

Likes (0)