Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 06 Nov 08 12:52am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

Re: Roast beef ideas

lol at DB's mum's Sunday roast - we too had the brown/grey joint of string that actually crumbled when carved - there was always amazement at the amount of shrinkage!  And why were the peas always boiling for 3 hours and steaming up the kitchen windows?

Hope your dinner turns out lovely Captain.

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 06 Nov 08 1:15am

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Grey meat... brown peas... black yorkshire pudding... come to think of it there wasn't anything on the plate was actually the colour that it was suppost to be!!! lol

love ya though mum!!!

Dave

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 06 Nov 08 1:16am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

You can roast Silverside - but it needs a lowish temperature for a longish time - preceded by a 10 -15 min blast at the highest temperature the Oven will attain.

Dave is dead on though - you really can't beat a Standing Rib Roast - I suspect Jamie agrees too.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29394

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 06 Nov 08 1:34am

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Like Dave I think that topside, and its neighbour silverside, lend themselves best to pot roasting, as they just end up dry, tough and shrunken if roasted in the conventional manner.

I particularly like this recipe for Pot-roasted Beef in Red Wine with Red Onion Marmalade from Delia - it's in her Winter Collection, but if you Google "Delia pot roasted beef" the link to the recipe on her website should come out at the top of the list.

This is a really hearty autumn/winter dish, and goes beautifully with potato and celeriac mash and sautéed greens.

Tip: I think you can get away with omitting the red onion marmalade, and the dish won't suffer for it, but if you decide to try it, fry the red onions really slowly with a lid on the pan for super sweetness, or add a little brown sugar to the onions.

Last edited by john_lee (Thu 06 Nov 08 3:00am)

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 06 Nov 08 2:47am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Thanks Dave for the info on the Topside roast, being called a roast, I always thought you could roast it.

When it came out dry and hard I thought it mas me, thats when I started to cover and cook in the wine etc as posted.

Nice one thumbsup

Likes (0)

#26 Thu 06 Nov 08 11:16am

Captain C

Forum champ
Occupation Sales
From Essex
Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

Nice one Dave, top advice.

You could of saved me from disaster  oops

I also like Shamrocks idea of the wine bath  yummy

I might combine a couple of your ideas and see what happens  crossed

Thanks guys for some great help  clap

Likes (0)

#27 Thu 06 Nov 08 12:47pm

chaucerfoot

Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum - would just like to say that the recipe by Dave sounds great - im def gonna try it. However, when it comes to Sunday roasts, there is nothing that can beat a properly hung fore rib of beef (at least 3 weeks, even up to 6-8 - its amazing if you can persuade your butcher to do it for you!). Accompanied with fluffy rosemary roast tatties, seasonal veg, yorkshire pudding, beef bone gravy (my favourite thing about this meal is making the gravy!), and home made horseradish sauce. In my humble opinion, there is nothing better - roll on Sunday!!!   thumbsup

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 06 Nov 08 9:56pm

Dave Barker

Forum champ
Occupation Chef
From At the stove...
Member since Tue 29 Jun 04

Hi guys...

It may or may not interest you, but I thought that it was relevent for this thread!

I have just gone through my notes and compliled a roasted meat cooking times chart for beef, pork,chicken and lamb... and posted it on foodwise!!! in the cooks tips section...

Thought it may be useful!

All the best

Keep Cookin'

Dave B

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 12 Nov 08 2:18pm

Captain C

Forum champ
Occupation Sales
From Essex
Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

I overcooked it  oops

The kids hated it  roll

Other half thought it was ok  hmm

The sauce was pretty good, but I was rushing about too much and ended up leaving the joint in the oven longer than I wanted to.

The dog had leftovers for days though  neutral

Last edited by Captain C (Wed 12 Nov 08 4:06pm)

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 23 Apr 09 7:17pm

Daddy_or_chips

Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Just a word of warning for anyone thinking of making the Slow Roasted Topside of Beef with Porcini Mushrooms Red Wine Sauce and Polenta in post 20 of this thread. That recipe seems to be identical to the one I found on the Waitrose website for Slow Roasted Topside of Beef with Porcini Mushrooms, except that the Waitrose one says to use 15g porcini, and the one typed out here says 150g. I think this must be a scribal error when the recipe was copied over; 150g would be masses! and very expensive.

Anyway, here's the original recipe from Waitrose site (I'm getting a message saying I can't post a link in this forum). It was delicious, and only needs the smaller amount (just 15g) of porcini:

2 tbsp vegetable oil
800g Aberdeen Angus topside of beef
2 red onions, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 tbsp Waitrose tomato purée
1 Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients Bouquet Garni For Meat
2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
500ml red wine
15g Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients Porcini Mushrooms
2 tbsp cornflour
Method

1. Preheat the oven to 160°C, gas mark 3. Heat half the oil in a flameproof casserole dish and brown the topside quickly in the hot oil, turning regularly. Remove from the dish.

2. Heat the remaining oil in the casserole dish and lightly sauté the onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the tomato purée and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.

3. Add 500ml cold water and all the remaining ingredients except the cornflour and bring to the boil. Return the beef to the pan, cover and place in the oven for 3-3½ hours.

4. When ready to serve, remove the beef from the pan and place onto a serving dish. Cover with kitchen foil and keep warm.

5. Mix the cornflour to a paste with a little cold water and stir into the red wine sauce. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute on the hob until thickened. Season, and serve the sauce spooned over slices of the beef, with creamy polenta and green beans.

Likes (0)