forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 05 Dec 08 7:00pm

nohejl

Member since Fri 05 Dec 08

Tipo 00 equivalent?

Maybe someone could help me. I've looked just about everywhere in Buffalo for Tipo 00 flour with no luck. I've tried our megamarts, food co-ops and the local Italian food store.  I can find a large variety of semolina flours as well as every variety of soft, all purpose, and hard flours. Both organic and non. Is there some form of equivalent I could use or mix myself.

Thank you,
Sara

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 05 Dec 08 7:26pm

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

Re: Tipo 00 equivalent?

I honestly don't know, but I find a strong flour (ie. high gluten content) works better than the soft kind used for baking.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 05 Dec 08 8:58pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

In the UK, its known as grade 00 or type 00, or "Pasta flour" - seems to be in most supermarkets.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 05 Dec 08 10:44pm

JennyR

From Whitby, North Yorkshire
Member since Thu 29 Jul 04

I don't know what flours you have but Carol Field in the Italian Baker recommends that you mix 1 part pastry flour with 3 parts all purpose to make a substitute 00.  Strong bread flour is totally unsuitable for Italian bread (according to Carol Field).

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 06 Dec 08 10:41am

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

yes...1 part plain 3 parts self-raising and it needs to be sieved 3 times or you can use wholemeal of the same quantities........

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 06 Dec 08 2:59pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

whole meal will be not at all like any white flour 00, bread, pasta, AP or other.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 06 Dec 08 7:03pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

In greece, if I have found the right one is yellow flour from hard wheat. Trasnsaltes to something like that...

You can use semolina flour which I think is the same but not so finely grinded.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 06 Dec 08 9:57pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Cookinlovebird - you wouldn't use self-raising flour in a bread recipe which is raised by yeast, and you certainly wouldn't want to use it in pasta!! Also - wholemeal is almost the reverse of typo 00, being generally coarse rather than fine.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 06 Dec 08 10:01pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Nohejl, firstly, welcome to the forums:)

Second, what are you wanting to cook- bread/pizza/variations on same or pasta?

It does make a difference.

From the others' comments, some are talking pasta flour. Others are talking bread flour.

I am confused (an almost perpetual state for me, so don't take it personally smile

There is a difference, though.

I will assume (possibly) incorrectly that you are making bread.

JennyR, now I know which of my two suggested books you bought -the generally reliable Carol Field.An oldie but usually a goodie.

Cookinlovebird, personally, wouldn't use self raising flour. If making bread, you'll be using yeast in some form. If making pasta, sr is not needed (no pun intended).

As for wholemeal, wouldn't use  more than 1/3 : 2/3 bakers' flour or will be too heavy (for us anyway).

OK, assuming you can't get the Tipo 00- I can only buy in 1 kg bags at huge mark-ups when I normally use 20kg+/week at this time of the year. I refuse to do that.

I buy bakers' flour in bulk instead.

OK, can't get bakers' flour?

Use all purpose (plain) flour and add gluten (so long as no one is gluten intolerant).buy from the health food store/"health" aisle of major supermarkets.

Just dragged out one of my fav family cookbooks (not a specialty bread one).

The AP flour: added gluten ratio varies. It depends on what you're adding to the bread. These are all yeast breads. For example:

1)450g ap flour + 60g wholemeal flour + 50 g gluten;

2)500g ap flour + 50g gluten;

3)450g ap flour + 50g gluten.

Roughly, you can see that for the mix of ap flour (+/- wholemeal or other flours) : added gluten should be about a 10th of the weight of the flour(s).

Hope that this helps.

Let's know how you go.

Good luck!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#10 Sat 06 Dec 08 10:57pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I personally use 00 flour for cakes
00 and 0 flour for pizza
0 flour and grano duro for pasta

the difference is that 0 and 00 flour are made from grano tenero and differ in texture, 00 is lighter and more finely macinata

grano duro flour is like semolino, but not so coarse, when I make pasta, I mainly use that adding some 00 or 0 flour until i can handle it and feel its smooth and elastic enough

try try try many times, until you are conscious you can do what you want and be ready to make mistakes all the time big_smile

Likes (0)