forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 04 Feb 09 2:11pm

ZenHarmony

From BC, Canada
Member since Mon 09 Jun 08

Jamie's diabetic?

I found this in one of Jamie's articles:

"You will cook the grains over your little flame. Then add some dried fruit (try currants, question they don't seem to spike my blood sugar shocked ) and if you really splurge, bring along a little peanut butter or almond butter."

Has Jamie been diagnosed as diabetic, or is this just an "awareness" statement?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 04 Feb 09 8:49pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Jamie's diabetic?

Besides being relevant for diabetics, many people watch their blood sugar levels (in terms of not spiking them so much) to lose weight or out of general health consciousness.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 04 Feb 09 8:58pm

alisonskitchen

Member since Sat 04 Oct 08

Aiming to keep your blood sugar constant will help to guard against energy and mood swings as well as food cravings.  Eating foods high in refined sugar will give you a short sugar high, which is good for an immediate energy or mood boost but you'll suffer a crash shortly afterwards which will leave you craving more sugar.  It's much better to go for slow burn foods that help keep you on an even keel.

www.alisonskitchen.com

Last edited by alisonskitchen (Wed 04 Feb 09 9:01pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 04 Feb 09 9:26pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

The glycemic index is a list of foods that indicate whether a food will give you energy for a short or long time. The latter is better as you don't get as hungry. I'm not sure where current sit but they should be on this website. It's not only diabetic people who look at this sort of thing, sports people, people wanting to lose weight and others who have conditions that can lead to diabetes.
http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Likes (0)