forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 07 Feb 09 7:32pm

Nutty Nette

Occupation Facilities Manager
From Hemel
Member since Wed 17 Dec 08

Re: Spudulicious, and I'm amazed!

Try a Stainless Steel Potato Ricer perfect creamy mash - 13.25 + P&P will help or buy a metal masher as the plastic one bend ( don,t use in your non stick pans though! )
Finish it off with a hand whisk, be careful in a blender because it,s easy to over work  and it goes gloppy.
Add doudle cream and butter, warmed you will never look back.
Add cheddar and chives or for sausage and mash try a little french mustard with  delicious. I also have dodgy wrists but it is worth a go  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 07 Feb 09 7:39pm

pennysaints

Forum champ
Occupation "Homemaker" and lovin it!
From Southampton
Member since Tue 10 Oct 06

Hi Nette
I've got the ricer, gloopy would best discribe results, been tossed into the deep dark recesses of the cupboards. Oh no, new kitchen next week it might be found again during the packing up. So might give it another whirl as suggested, Thanks

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 07 Feb 09 7:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Potato ricers are good Nutty Nette , Penny says that she has one but the problem is using it.
I still can't get enough pressure to use mine so I have to rely on someone else being around .

Penny I have an odd shaped potato masher that I was able to use called a spudnik , you sort of rotate it in the mash ,rolling it around with the palm of your hand . I find that its not a bad masher once you have got the hang of using it , but I do find that sometimes the spudnik does not quite get to the edges of the pan.However I have a feeling that this is my fault !  lol

Look at the link that I found and you will see why I called it an odd shaped masher.

http://www.cookinstyle.co.uk/default.as … e&pd=Y

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 07 Feb 09 7:53pm

Nutty Nette

Occupation Facilities Manager
From Hemel
Member since Wed 17 Dec 08

Hi had another thought if you must use a blender, then buy a little hand whisk least you can feel the consistency changing the Americans only make mash with a whisk and they make great creamed potatoes best I have ever had. They add cream and butter last whilst still on the warm stove ring.
wink

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 07 Feb 09 8:17pm

pennysaints

Forum champ
From Southampton

mummza wrote:

Potato ricers are good Nutty Nette , Penny says that she has one but the problem is using it.
I still can't get enough pressure to use mine so I have to rely on someone else being around .

Penny I have an odd shaped potato masher that I was able to use called a spudnik , you sort of rotate it in the mash ,rolling it around with the palm of your hand . I find that its not a bad masher once you have got the hang of using it , but I do find that sometimes the spudnik does not quite get to the edges of the pan.However I have a feeling that this is my fault !  lol

Look at the link that I found and you will see why I called it an odd shaped masher.

http://www.cookinstyle.co.uk/default.as … e&pd=Y

Mummza, thats fab' gonna get one to try, postage doubles the price so will google and see if I can get it locally!  Have recently acquired a "palm peeler" which is great but only with certain foods (not small pots) makes sweet pots carrots swede etc. a doddle.
link is

http://www.blueshoots.com/products.asp? … 56%2005209
Motto, all things are possible, sometimes with help if not, shout, or scream, then find a solution, hence ready mash today!! Thanks hon!!!!

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 08 Feb 09 3:39pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I thought I read somewhere that making mash in a food processor turns it into a huge gloopy mess? I think I even tried it and it was not pretty! But what does work is if you do not have a ricer, a hand mixer works really well.

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 08 Feb 09 3:49pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

A stand mixer works for making mashed potatoes, a chef relative of mine does it that way, the results are excellent.  We do use butter and milk, is that not done elsewhere?

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 08 Feb 09 4:54pm

pennysaints

Forum champ
From Southampton

Thanks MsP, will try that the next time there's more than 2 of us. Always use milk and butter, think that's universal, but not certain! big_smile

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 08 Feb 09 5:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

bcrain wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that making mash in a food processor turns it into a huge gloopy mess? I think I even tried it and it was not pretty! But what does work is if you do not have a ricer, a hand mixer works really well.

Hand mixer...I had forgotten all about that, we always made mash with a hand mixer when I was a child. It does work really well .

Likes (0)