Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 16 Feb 09 1:00pm

Spesh

Member since Mon 16 Feb 09

Can anyone recommend the Amalfi Coast?

Hello all
This is my first post on here. Mainly to get views on the above topic.

I'm planning a holiday to Italy later this year (have already been to Florence and Venice) and we are very keen to try the Amalfi coast.

Having seen Jamies series a few years ago, I remember it looking like a really nice place to visit. My only problem is, I don't know anyone who's been so picking a specific part of the region is going to be tricky without any advice.

Have any of you been? If so, where did you stay and can you recommend any particular town/village?

Many thanks for any advice...

wink

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 16 Feb 09 1:14pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Re: Can anyone recommend the Amalfi Coast?

hi Spesh, welcome! we went to that area on our honeymoon, lo these many years ago, and highly recommend it. We went to Napoli, just to change trains, and stayed in Sorrento, side trip to Pompeii and Herculeneum. We meant to take a hydrofoil ferry to Capri, it was highly recommended to us by people who had travelled extensively in the area, but unfortunately we ran out of time. Aside from an attempted pickpocketing on the train, we had no problems. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 16 Feb 09 2:27pm

MarielH

Forum champ
Occupation Retired youngster but keeping busy!!
From Scotland
Member since Sun 14 Dec 08

Mr Pab - that was exactly what I did on my honeymoon too - many moons ago - but it was not with you!!!

We stayed in Sorrento - beautiful coast and travelled down to Amalfi - scary roads but beautiful.  Do visit there Spesh - its beautiful! smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 16 Feb 09 3:51pm

Jay30

Occupation ... basking in the sun....
From Anguilla & Liechtenstein
Member since Fri 17 Jun 05

Hi Spesh and welcome here....

Coincidentally I just spoke to a friend of mine (italian) about the same topic on Saturday - I have never been to the Amalfi coast but many other parts in Italy. He is saying do go to Capri it is incredibly beautiful - best months to choose are September / October - not as warm though but best time for prices. July and August too crowded as italian schools are off for the summer vacation as well and families will be vacationing.

He also recommends the islands of Elba and Sicily. Other than that he thinks any town along the coast is beautiful - just have a car and everything is close by and you can reach by car.

He recommends the Amalfi coast for the best food in Italy (and he is Northern Italian) so that should mean something ...  big_smile

J.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 16 Feb 09 6:07pm

Spesh

Member since Mon 16 Feb 09

Thanks for all comments and advice, I think I will look into Villas as there will be 6 of us altogether, I'd imagine a Villa would be more suitable than Hotels or B&B's in larger groups.

I take it the nearest Airport is going to be Napoli?

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 16 Feb 09 7:14pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Positana, Ravello are a must.
We had triangular pastries filled with ricotta and cinnamon, to die for, in Amalfi. Have tried many times to recreate them but cant even get close.
Clams and spaghetti, just amazing, at a hillside place overlooking the coast.
Drove from Naples, stunning. The whole experience will live within me forever.
I will never forget how beautiful it all was or my then Italian lover. smile
Capri OK, Sorrento OK, if not a bit commercial though, and no beach as such.

Likes (0)