forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 19 Feb 09 4:06pm

Jamie's Disciple

Occupation Realtor
From Surrey BC Canada
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

Marinated Lamb from Highland Fling

This is it, I'm going in, This weekend I am going to try the lamb from this episode and when I look over the recipe something just seems odd with the cooking times and the time to marinate the lamb. Has anyone tried this or does anyone know of a link to video of the episode? Also in the recipe it just says leg ( boned) but wasn't it butterflied?  Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Cheers 

Geordie

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 19 Feb 09 6:28pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Re: Marinated Lamb from Highland Fling

Yes it was butterflied, and opened up like a book, he said in his book, that it cooks quicker of the bone!!With a knife, follow the lamb bone down about 4 inches (you are just making a 'tunnel' where you are cutting the meat away from the bone). Do this from the top end and the bottom end. Pierce the skin at an angle with a sharp pointed knife 6 to 8 times at random around the leg. Where you have made the incisions, open them up a bit by poking your fingers down in them to make a bit of space.

heres the recipe:

Marinated Lamb Recipe
courtesy Jamie Oliver
Show:  The Naked Chef
Episode:  Highland Fling 

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 10 to 12 servings

1 leg lamb, boned
1 large bunch mint, roughly chopped
1 large bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled
17 1/2 ounces (500 grams) natural yogurt
1/2 (14-ounce/400 gram) can chickpeas, drained and mashed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, juiced
Tray Roasted Vegetables:
Baby carrots
Quartered fennel, with its own leafy tops
Quartered red onions
Whole baby turnips
Butternut squash, cut into chunks
Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed and halved
1/2 (14-ounce/400 gram) can chick peas, drained
Ground cumin
Coriander seeds
Nutmeg
Olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Lamb: Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Bash up the coriander and mint and mix with the yogurt, garlic, and seasoning. Reserve half to use as a sauce once the lamb is cooked.

Score the lamb pieces, season with the salt and pepper and mix with half the marinade and the chickpeas, so it is all coated.

Transfer the marinade and lamb to a plastic bag and seal. Place in the refrigerator until required.

To cook, place the meat directly on the oven shelf above the tray of vegetables for approximately 45 minutes.

Vegetables: Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place all the vegetables in a roasting tray, add the chickpeas, cumin, coriander seeds, nutmeg, sea salt, pepper, and olive oil and toss together.

Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes then remove the foil and continue roasting for 20 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender and golden.

Last edited by young mum (Thu 19 Feb 09 6:39pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 19 Feb 09 7:35pm

Jamie's Disciple

Occupation Realtor
From Surrey BC Canada
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

Re: Marinated Lamb from Highland Fling

Thanks young mum, thumbsup

I have the recipe from a couple of different places but is had been a while since I saw the episode, but I have just found a link to it
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/jamie … 1543849295
and now it makes sense again, sometimes reading the recipes I don't get itat all but when I can see it done it makes more sense to me.  We have friends coming for dinner on saturday and this is making me hungry already.

Thanks again and have a great weekend big_smile  big_smile

Geordie

Likes (0)