Jamie Oliver

forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sun 19 Oct 08 12:36am

louisewomble

Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Re: what the law says about keeping cockerels

little dog wrote:

Your home is supposed to be somewhere that is safe and you can feel comfortable in - why so dome people have to try and make it as unpleasant as posisble for you??  Narrow minded people - I agree!!  Try living under the flight path of the Hercs that fliy in and out of Lyneham - they are a lot noisier than my 'natural' cockerel, but who moans about them??  Personally I believe in live ane let live. big_smile

I have had various dealings with my local Environmental Health department regarding "noisy boy" - and I have found them to be pretty helpful.  They were very open to meet me (and him!) and acted as 'mediators' when I agreed to move my cockerel from back to front garden, away from the neighbours who disliked his crowing.   thumbsup

Sadly now my hen who lived happily with him has died - I need a new home for my cockerel as it is not fair to keep him on his ownsome  help any body any ideas?  I live in rural Wiltshire, there must be someone out there who has some hens that need some loving!!

Thanks

Why not get him some more ladies to become aquainted with?

Louise

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 15 Mar 09 11:20am

LoppyLuggs

Member since Sun 15 Mar 09

The key with "live and let live" is consideration.
We have lovely people living around us, but their lack of awareness of the effect their noise is having on their neighbours is making many lives pretty difficult. Their 4 cockerels are splendid fellows, but they don't lock them up at night even though many of us have suggested it, and we are so, so very tired. yawn  It is definitely affecting my ability to do my job well, which in turn affects my students. If you live under a flight path, or by a busy road etc there is unavoidable noise, and it must be really tough. However, being woken at 4am by cockerels is avoidable; all that is needed is consideration from the owners.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 15 Mar 09 12:04pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

As has been said before talk to your local council.................they will very often deal with it for you!

Likes (0)

#24 Sun 15 Mar 09 12:11pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

The thing I have NO time for is the people from the towns that come to live in the countryside (in residential areas............you know, villages!) & then moan about the noise of sunday morning church bells, calving cows lowing, cockerels crowing, lambing sheep bleating, tractors rumbling along (often extremely slowly!) at all hours..................

................................if you don't like livestock, farming & country noise...........

..............................................s*d off back to town!

The truth is these are the people who totally kill village life............ie the very thing they bought into!

(sorry, had to get all that off my chest..................we have a new "townie"tenant in a rented house near me, & he has totally changed the previously very harmonious village I live in within a few weeks with his incessant complaints about normal village noise)

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 15 Mar 09 6:34pm

Dalesbred

From Cumbria
Member since Mon 09 Feb 09

I feel your pain M.  I have troubles of that nature tooooooooooooooooo............bring on the next Parish meeting i say!!!

(Rant over)

whistle

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 01 May 09 8:57pm

austenozzy

Member since Fri 01 May 09

We've got a noisy cockerel living across the road from us.  We've asked if he can be kept in (repsonse - "no, they're bantams and cant be kept in" - ???) and they've made it clear they've not even going to try.

We explained that my wife is being woken every single day at 4am almost without fail, and after 5 months is really struggling, often in tears. Not a flicker.

We understand about 'country living' etc; the wife grew up on a farm in Cornwall, she's about as rural as you can get!  Minerva, we dont mind any of the other noise from tractors, cows, horses, traffic, other people... because they have the consideration to not do it at 4am!

So, we've had to approach environmental health.  We dont want to, we've tried to live with it and we've tried to reason.  No dice.  We don't want an argument, but the neighbour won't, or can't be bothered, to try to resolve it.  So it's out of our hands.

I hope you get a friendly resolution to your cockerel problems, and I hope it's small comfort that there are other people in the same boat!  We love the countryside too, but I dont want to experience it at 4am!

Oz.

Likes (0)

#27 Fri 01 May 09 9:52pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

i love country noises  clap especially croaking frogs and chirpy crickets..i always leave my bedroom window wide open so i can hear them...the cockerels and church bells took a bit of getting used to but i don't really notice them anymore...to be honest,i find the neighbours (human) noises more disturbing than the animal ones  whistle

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 07 Jul 09 12:38am

brucethecock

Member since Mon 06 Jul 09

Hi everyone I'm having the same problem with "Bruce" the cockerel , the local paper have even done an article on him www.warringtonguardian.co.uk  enter bruce in to the search box . I now lock him in until about 7.30am , but I don't want to get rid of him .

Steve Adamson

Likes (0)

#29 Sun 28 Mar 10 12:43pm

headlongrush

Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

We have a small bunch of chickens and one cockeral. We recently took on two new birds from a local school (hacthed from chicks) but unfortunately they had not sexed them correctly so now we have two additional cockerals! For the first few months we were ok - the new teenager cockerals started to grow their bits (thus letting us know they were not, in fact, hens) and took to roosting in the trees rather than in the hen-house with the rest of the community. We have enjoyed a kind of status quo until recently (this morning, in fact) when we found one of the new cockerals in what appeared to be a death-fight with our existing, resident chap. They were both pretty tired and bloody but we managed to catch and cage the teenager to keep them apart. The question is, what can we do now?

We know it's a devil of a job off-loading cocks for this very reason; I understand castration is illegal (???) and can't imagine slipping bromide in their feed will help very much (besides, we're trying to keep them as organic as possible). Eating them will be tricky as the kids have given them names (funny how much easier it is to eat something without a first name).

These two teenager cocks are very handsome fellows, what should we do with them?

Likes (0)

#30 Mon 01 Nov 10 8:01am

smiley83

Member since Sat 23 Oct 10

I've lived in villages all my life... but I work. I have to get sleep. And it drives me mad how someone can selfishly get an animal that wakes me and the neighbours up at 4:00am and call that 'village life'?! Move to a farm if you want livestock in your garden, don't burden the entire street with your nuisance noise.

Likes (0)