forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 12 Jul 09 6:37am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Ready, Set, Cook Discussion Thread

Forum members with a desire for new experiences in cooking started this thread a few weeks ago. In that time we have revised and discussed the ideas we began with, to make the challenge suitable to all forum members.  If you want to see how it began and why changes have been made, please refer to the link below.  If you have any ideas or suggestions jump in and say so, we want everyone to be involved.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47552

At the moment a majority of challenge participants are in their winter, so you may have noticed some of the challenges have matched that season. We would love more involvement from our Northern forum friends for summer cooking challenge ideas to balance it out for all.  So get off your lawn chairs guys, we miss you  kiss

HOW IT WORKS

I will post, once a month the 2 challenges. This is to give people the ability to prepare in advance. I will put up a reminder posts if we get behind or the thread gets lost in the masses.   

There will be two types of challenges; a 'Theme Challenge' and or an 'Ingredient Challenge'. 

This is a community challenge we rely on submissions of ideas from all forum posters to keep this going.  Just consider me the typist, I get the info and put it back out.  If you have an idea, simply post it in here and or go to my profile and send me an email, I check it daily. 

Once you have completed the weekly challenge, post it in your blog or foodwise and link it here for us to see.  If you don’t want to blog it, simply tell us how you went.  The whole point of this is to open us up to new ideas we may not have considered before.  You don’t have to commit yourself to every challenge, just give it a go as time and taste permits.

THEME CHALLENGE

The theme challenge works around a theme dish eg, goulash, apple pie, or a recent one we did Dahl. 

Or

It can be a dish for an occasion like Valentines day, Easter, Hanukkah.

Or

A country could be suggested eg; Indian, Italian, Thai, French, Antarctican wink

INGREDIENT CHALLENGE

The ingredient challenge generally has 2 ingredients and 3 components.  You can choose to do all 3 challenges or just 1.

CHOICE 1

One category is chosen from Jamie’s recipe section http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes

Eg Cheese recipes, Chicken recipes, Curry recipes, Vegetarian recipes.

Cook what ever you like from that weeks suggested category. 

CHOICE 2

For the second choice two ingredients will be posted.  A meal has to be created using those two ingredients. 

This meal should be a known dish, or one you have always wanted to try, if you're hard up for ideas use the website search function and put in the two ingredients, something is bound to come up that you like.

*Vegetarians, and those who may have an allergy to an ingredient, may need to change one of our challenge ingredients to suit their needs.  If you post your creation after changing the ingredient, it would be great if you could note why you had to replace an ingredient for the benefit of others learning from your recipe. 

CHOICE 3

The third choice uses the same two ingredients for the second challenge, but the recipe must be “original”; not taken from another site or book or person, it must be your own creation. 

Your completed challenges need to be submitted by the end of the month, otherwise it wouldn’t be much of a challenge hmm .

Last edited by Tara (Sun 15 Aug 10 4:10am)

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 12 Jul 09 6:50am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

Re: Ready, Set, Cook Discussion Thread

WEEK 4 COOKING CHALLENGE COMMENCING 13th July 2009

Suggested by - Frizz- Parsnip and Thyme

Choice 1 –

Go to this link and choose a Vegetarian recipe - http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes

Choice 2 –

With parsnip and thyme create a dish inspired by a something you have always wanted to try, one already in existence.

Choice 3 –

Using the ingredients parsnip and thyme, create a dish totally unique to the culinary world, as dish stamped with your name.

WEEK 5 COOKING CHALLENGE COMMENCING 20th July 2009

Suggested by- JoyYamDaisy

Theme- Krugel

If you’re as unsure as I was about this dish, heres a starting point.

http://kosherfood.about.com/od/sidedishes/p/kugel.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugel

I’m happy to post a Krugel support thread for ideas when the challenge begins. 

WEEK 6 COOKING CHALLENGE COMMENCING 27th July 2009

Suggested by- Mrs_Master - Salmon and Tomato

Choice 1 –

Go to this link and choose a Fish recipe - http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes

Choice 2 –

With salmon and tomato create a dish inspired by a something you have always wanted to try, one already in existence.

Choice 3 –

Using the ingredients salmon and tomato create a dish totally unique to the culinary world, as dish stamped with your name.

WEEK 7 COOKING CHALLENGE COMMENCING 3rd August 2009

Suggested by- Shammrok

Theme- Lasagne

Try to make the best lasagne ever; there are so many different lasagne recipes out there there’s bound to be a variation you haven’t tried.

Next 4 cooking challenges will be posted on August 4th 2009, so dont forget to put your ideas in. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 12 Jul 09 7:04am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Fantastic Work MrsM I am keen to start! smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 12 Jul 09 7:36am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

Me to Joy, might be a parsnip soup next weekend. yummy

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 13 Jul 09 12:35am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

We are having Christmas in July this weekend so parsnips will be on the menu in some form.  Meanwhile a large container of left-over dahl sits unwanted in the fridge ....  sad

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 13 Jul 09 3:34am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

With the kugel recipe, can it be any recipe such as using the noodle kugel or does it have to be a straight Kugel?

Says me who has never eaten or even seen this dish either  lol

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 13 Jul 09 4:09am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I think it should be something called a Kugel (whatever that is!)  Am still to follow link! Luckily we have a week to prepare!

I went and checked JO's vegetarian recipes and the first one up was a gorgeous stuffed butternut, so that's my aim for the challenge!

smile

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 13 Jul 09 4:10am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

my name shall appear at the end of all threads, none shall post after me. evil

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 13 Jul 09 4:41am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

shammrok wrote:

With the kugel recipe, can it be any recipe such as using the noodle kugel or does it have to be a straight Kugel?

Says me who has never eaten or even seen this dish either  lol

Kugel, bugel, spewgle, as long as your source says its Kugel I reckon its fair game.  thumbsup

Got you again MrPabs  cool

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 13 Jul 09 4:43am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

OK, you got me ... ... ooops! evil

Likes (0)