forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 23 Feb 07 11:01pm

gregandjanine

Occupation Teacher/Registered Nurse
From Brisbane Australia
Member since Fri 14 Apr 06

What's your favourite wine.... and why???

Hey Guys,

Took me a while to find this part of the forum.... der.... how slow am I?
Anyway as I was just scrolling through the topics of the Leftovers, I wondered if we haven't had a thread talking about different wines and what goes best with what....

Even what we like...

For us, we are members of a wine club... 'All Saints' situated in Rutherglen in Northern Victoria. We get 4 to 6 bottles of red wine every three months, which is plenty for us. In the next pack we are receiving which is in May, we are getting a Merlot, Pierre - I am not sure about what that is, because I have never had one of those before and it's new to me... and a couple of other varieties... Durif and I think a Cab Sav.  I am going to ring the winery and ask them to add a Tokay to my pack. You can only buy All Saints wine via the wine club or at the cellar door. The quality is much better than the mass produced wines we often find in the bottle shops. They have a sister winery called St Leonard's which is just down the road. There are a number of packs that you can choose from, which can include wines from both wineries. There are many other wineries in Australia that offer similar services...

Areas of particular interest are:
Coonawarra in SA
Claire Valley SA
Southern Vales SA
Rutherglen VIC
Yarra Valley VIC
Hunter Valley NSW
Stanthorp QLD
Margaret River WA

I know that I have left plenty out, and maybe people might like to tell us a bit about those? Also add comments about different wineries and areas that are already listed above. It would be good to get other peoples opinions and ideas about different wines.

Plus lots of info about wines from different countries.. and what is popular and also new over there???

We particularly like sparkling Merlot.... very indulgent for a special occasion - yum. 

smile

I also like a dry white.. with Chardonnay being my favorite.. but this comes after the reds because hubby prefers the reds and I can't drink a whole bottle on my own...

puke

What do other people think?
POST AWAY!!!!

Janine

Last edited by gregandjanine (Sat 24 Feb 07 2:11pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 24 Feb 07 9:19pm

Steffi 100%

From Germany (Bergisch Gladbach)
Member since Sat 26 Jun 04

Re: What's your favourite wine.... and why???

Hello Janine. Unfortunately, I am no wine lover. Sorry!  oops
I rather drink a good beer. however, hello wanted to say on the way sometimes nicely. smile   

all the best Steffi xxx  wink

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 24 Feb 07 9:30pm

gregandjanine

Occupation Teacher/Registered Nurse
From Brisbane Australia
Member since Fri 14 Apr 06

I like beer too... but only on really hot days...
Sometimes the Queensland sun can send us some real corkers.... not so much the heat but certainly the humidity...

Having a beer at our BBQ's is something I really enjoy. We tend to drink XXXX, but there are many other varieties to choose from. Sometimes we drink the dutch one... I have forgotten the name of it.. it has a green label. ?Haan....

Christmas is a time we tend to drink more beer as well. Hubby enjoys a guineas from time to time.

Being a bit curious -
Where's the city with the 5th season???? 

Janine question

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 24 Feb 07 9:47pm

Steffi 100%

From Germany (Bergisch Gladbach)
Member since Sat 26 Jun 04

This is the city of Cologne and the fifth season is here with us the carnival. Thank God again is over. It was definitively too much beer in this time. lol

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 25 Jul 09 2:55am

I Hate Cooking

Chateau Lamothe de Haux Bordaux 2007 for white wine.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 25 Jul 09 3:06am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

MsPab's favorite whine: "When are we going to Hawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii?"

... just kidding sweetie! (I am in for it now shocked ... )

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 25 Jul 09 9:53am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia
Member since Sun 23 Nov 08

You are in big trouble now MrPab lol  lol  lol  You will be washing up for a week wink

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 25 Jul 09 9:57am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia

I don't like beer and my favourite wine is a sweet white by a local in the Mudgee region (where I live), Peter van Gent. I love his Angelique White and he also does a beautiful White Port.

I also like Chardonnays and there are some good ones around here.

We are only 20 minutes from about 40 wineries..... yummy  yummy  yummy

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 28 Jul 09 11:38pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Hi Gregandjanine, would love to answer to your question but unfort for me thats like asking me whats my favourite song or who do I like best my mum or my dad...
There are so many amazing wines, that its quite hard to tell you. One thing though: the top ten is portuguese! For one reason only: its cause they´re the ones I know best, not because there arent other good wines! Im patriotic, not blind wink

Janiz: this Peter van Gent you mention, does he do Port in Portugal, in the Douro region? Who for, would like to know?

Cheers

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 29 Jul 09 12:13am

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia

sergio1972 wrote:

Janiz: this Peter van Gent you mention, does he do Port in Portugal, in the Douro region? Who for, would like to know?

Cheers

Sergio,

I do not know, but here is  his website address... www.pvgwinery.com
As far as I know his only produces in the local area but he could do stuff overseas that I am not aware of. His white port is very popular here
thumbsup

Likes (0)