forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 18 Aug 09 6:07pm

Chrissa SKG

Forum champ
Occupation travel agent
From Thessaloniki, GREECE
Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

Hi,
I met somebody with who I hang out these days....he went to a biochemic doktor and followed Starch fee diet....lost 50kgr! and is on for another 25 he says...

anyway

I wanted to invite him to lunch/dinner
only things I could think of was veges meat and lentils/chick peas/beans

in my mind starch is pasta, potatoe, rice...

is ti all varieties of rice?

is it possible to set table on every day basis starch free?

I know I was pretty puzzled what to prepare for him...the table was full of bits and bites ...missing fundamental food not even as garnish!

    Likes (0)

#2 Tue 18 Aug 09 6:40pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

I have been making this type of food for my father because he has Diabetes.  You would want to avoid rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, pasta and breads and probably most fruits.  Beans and dairy have some carbs, if your friend's diet is quite strict, you may ask him if it's ok to include.  It's pretty safe to grill or broil fish or meat, serve with most any other vegetables and salads.  Root vegetables tend to be more starchy.  My advice is that you make a variety of colorful foods so that you won't have much if any need for rice and starchy foods.  Also, vinegar is a good thing.

Here are some sample foods that I make for my father:

Grilled chicken over mixed field greens, 'zhoozhed up' with red bell pepper, radishes, tomatoes, dressing of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and shredded parmesan/romano cheese.

Stuffed Cabbage (fill with meat and vegs, no rice) I layer with sauerkraut and cook with tomato sauce flavored with cinnamon, etc.

Some of the best choices for vegs on no or low carb diets - Cauliflower, Asparagus, Cabbage, Onions, Tomatoes, Lettuces

Sesame Slaw (serve with any fish or meat)
Equal parts red and green cabbage, finely shredded
Finely Sliced Red/Orange or Yellow Bell Pepper
Finely Sliced Red Onion
Small quantity of Apple, finely diced (you can leave this out if his diet is very strict)
Dressing - Sprinkle over the salad - Pinch of salt, Spoonful or two of Rice Wine Vinegar and Toasted Sesame Oil.

Meatloaf made without any bread filler.  Instead, I add a little tomato sauce, worsterchire, sauteed onion, garlic, two eggs, herbs.  Coat with tomato sauce to bake.

I made a version of Jamie's Spring Minestrone, you can leave out the pasta and starchy vegs and use whatever vegetables are in season.  Top with basil pesto to serve..

Homemade tomato soup, Onion soup minus the bread.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 18 Aug 09 7:01pm)

    Likes (0)

#3 Tue 18 Aug 09 7:32pm

Chrissa SKG

Forum champ
Occupation travel agent
From Thessaloniki, GREECE
Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

Re: STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

MsPablo wrote:

I have been making this type of food for my father because he has Diabetes.  You would want to avoid rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, pasta and breads and probably most fruits.  Beans and dairy have some carbs, if
...................

Onion soup minus the bread.

GREAT HELP MsPablo
THANK Y O U !

    Likes (0)

#4 Wed 19 Aug 09 2:32am

ljbritt50

Member
Occupation Gluten Free Cooking Coach and College Cooking Instructor
From Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Member since Sat 03 Jan 09

Re: STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet is starch, lactose and sugar free. Here are a full range of recipes.

http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/indexa.html

It's wonderful that you are such a great friend... Enjoy!

thumbsup

    Likes (0)

#5 Sat 22 Aug 09 12:15am

ljbritt50

Member
Occupation Gluten Free Cooking Coach and College Cooking Instructor
From Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Member since Sat 03 Jan 09

Re: STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

One of the things I have missed since I stopped eating starch was crackers, chips or crisps to have with appetizers or snacks. I saw this done on a cooking show on TV - Iron Chef America, and decided to have a go at it myself. It's very quick and simple to make. I call them cheese crisps.

I posted the photos and recipe on my blog space here:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=50295

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=50294

    Likes (0)

#6 Sat 22 Aug 09 11:08am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Re: STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

I don't think there is a good reason to stop eating starch...You can stop eating sugar, but if you REALLY want to lose weight you should walk everyday for 1 hour at 6-6.5km/hour for 5 days a week. After 2 months you will loose weight and the magic word is, you will lose fat.

I did it for 2,5 months and I lost 10kg(20 pounds) and the amazing part is that the biggest percent is fat. If you lose weight from not eating, you lose mainly muscules and less fat. There is not any healthy way to lose weight other than work out. And not jogging, just walking a bit fast.

    Likes (0)

#7 Sat 22 Aug 09 6:20pm

ljbritt50

Member
Occupation Gluten Free Cooking Coach and College Cooking Instructor
From Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Member since Sat 03 Jan 09

Re: STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

dukegus wrote:

I don't think there is a good reason to stop eating starch...You can stop eating sugar, but if you REALLY want to lose weight you should walk everyday for 1 hour at 6-6.5km/hour for 5 days a week. After 2 months you will loose weight and the magic word is, you will lose fat.

I did it for 2,5 months and I lost 10kg(20 pounds) and the amazing part is that the biggest percent is fat. If you lose weight from not eating, you lose mainly muscules and less fat. There is not any healthy way to lose weight other than work out. And not jogging, just walking a bit fast.

That's wonderful news and I'm really happy that worked for you.

I didn't stop eating starch to lose weight. It was under my doctors supervision in an effort to address serious concerns regarding food sensitivities and inflammation. The weight loss is a side effect. I honestly wish I could walk. I look forward to the day that my Fibromyalgia and Arthritis will be under control enough for me to be able to exercise. I envy people who can move freely and feel well. Perhaps someday that will be me too. In the meantime, my latest blood tests indicate my inflammation is down due to not eating starch, lactose and refined sugars. My doctor is thrilled and so am I! I realize we are all unique and respect that. People with medical issues do need to seek out the guidance and support of their chosen health care professionals, just as I have.

    Likes (0)

#8 Sun 23 Aug 09 12:45pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Re: STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

ljbritt50 wrote:

That's wonderful news and I'm really happy that worked for you.

I didn't stop eating starch to lose weight. It was under my doctors supervision in an effort to address serious concerns regarding food sensitivities and inflammation. The weight loss is a side effect. I honestly wish I could walk. I look forward to the day that my Fibromyalgia and Arthritis will be under control enough for me to be able to exercise. I envy people who can move freely and feel well. Perhaps someday that will be me too. In the meantime, my latest blood tests indicate my inflammation is down due to not eating starch, lactose and refined sugars. My doctor is thrilled and so am I! I realize we are all unique and respect that. People with medical issues do need to seek out the guidance and support of their chosen health care professionals, just as I have.

God sorry lhbritt50, I didn't know you had that kind of problems...The worst kind of diseases are the autoimmune...I got a cousin with common problems and he can't even get off bed. I wish medical research would be more intensive, don't know really why they aren't!

    Likes (0)

#9 Sun 23 Aug 09 6:07pm

ljbritt50

Member
Occupation Gluten Free Cooking Coach and College Cooking Instructor
From Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Member since Sat 03 Jan 09

Re: STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

Thank you for your understanding dukegus. On a lighter note, science is working hard to find solutions and there are a lot of us out here trying things other than drugs to address the problems. Once you begin to do the research and study, the subject is actually very intricate and fascinating. My background is in the languages and the arts ( I was a teacher and now work as a writer and fine artist - my work shows in Rome sometimes ) Learning all the science has been a challenge, but well worth the effort. I belong to a research and study group here in Canada called Health Pursuits. As lay people, we are working with medical doctors, dietitians, osteopaths, homeopaths, physiotherapists and natruopaths to find solutions. I believe there are answers for each person... keys to unlocking these complex problems. I refuse to sit by and suffer, while there is a possibility to improve my quality of life. Forums like this one provide an amazing opportunity to share information and explore options. It does not replace the dialogue you have with your chosen health care professional, it simply opens up the mind to explore new options. Food is a very powerful tool. It's the fuel that runs the engine known as our body. To quote a fellow countryman, Hippocrates, " Let food be thy medicine, thy medicine shall be thy food."

    Likes (0)

#10 Sun 23 Aug 09 8:10pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

ljbritt, is the diet supposed to reduce the symptoms?  If so, I want to tell a friend.

Chrissa, how did the dinner work out?

    Likes (0)

Powered by PunBB.