Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 25 Aug 09 9:17am

MarielH

Forum champ
Occupation Retired youngster but keeping busy!!
From Scotland
Member since Sun 14 Dec 08

Tomato recipes - tomato glut

My husband visited a tomato farm yesterday and came home with a big box of beautiful tomatoes for only 5.  I made some tomato soup to put in the freezer for over the winter but still have loads left and plan making some tomato and apple chutney when I get my hands on some jars. 

These tomatoes were such good quality that I plan getting some more from the farm - any good recipes - soup etc crossed

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 25 Aug 09 10:58am

libra

Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

Re: Tomato recipes - tomato glut

Do you eat pasta? I make my own  sauce from home-grown tomatoes adding garlic, oregano and basil. It is useful to have in the freezer for a quick meal.

Or just cook and freeze the tomatoes to add to soups, casseroles etc.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 25 Aug 09 11:04am

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

Ive got loads of tomatoes every now and then and Ive always used them up, made sauces, soups and chutneys out of them. Now I am splitting the tomatoes, I am still making sauces, soups and chutneys, but I do simply put quite an amount of them in my food processor and freeze them in portions. This way Ive got tomatoes that I can use for several dishes, depending on what I want to do. Its come in very handy for a couple times now.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 25 Aug 09 12:11pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I love fresh tomato season!  My parents grow tomatoes and there are bucketfuls lying all around the house - we can only eat so many so what to do except process and store in the freezer for winter.

Roasted Crushed Tomatoes

- tomatoes
- oregano
- garlic
- olive
- salt/pepper

1. Cut the tomatoes into thick slices.
2. Lay in a roasting pan with garlic cloves tucked underneath
3. Season with salt/pepper and oregano
4. Drizzle with olive oil
5. Bake in the oven until they're oozy and roasted golden.
6. Blitz in the food processor after they've cooled
7. Portion into ziploc bags and store in the freezer for when you need crushed tomatoes.

The possibilities are endless here.  With or without the garlic, you can use any number of herbs or none at all.  I've been known to sprinkle them with a bit of sugar also while roasting in order to caramelize.  You could add onions too.  I would say go easy on the salt if you plan to freeze them for further use, but be generous if you're planning on using the tomatoes right away.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 25 Aug 09 12:33pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

That's a gorgeous recipe Kou!

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 25 Aug 09 4:10pm

MarielH

Forum champ
From Scotland

Keep these recipes coming - they are great - thanks - Mariel smile

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 25 Aug 09 4:16pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

In Amsterdam, a place called Buffet van Odette serves a thick homemade tomato soup with crisp pancetta or bacon, couple of arugula leaves, shaved Parmesan.  I guessed at how the soup was made, onions, carrot, garlic, thyme, marjoram, plenty of tomatoes.

Try some tomatoes stuffed with cold salads for lunches - rice/tuna/cheese, etc.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 16 Aug 10 8:18pm

MarielH

Forum champ
From Scotland

It's that time of year again - this time last year we visited our tomato farm and were coming away with baskets for 5 - today got one for 6 - any more tomato recipes - tried a few soup ones last year - anyone got a really good tomato soup one - looked at Jamie's which added milk but was not sure whether it would freeze?

Any thoughts folks?? crossed

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 16 Aug 10 9:27pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think my favourite is always tomatoes on toast .
A large pile of tomatoes cooked down with a bit of butter and a little fine chopped onion , a few leaves of thyme and some seasoning.
On a thick piece of fresh bread that has been toasted and has a slight rub of garlic.

Just love tomatoes like this.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 22 Aug 10 9:26am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

MarielH wrote:

It's that time of year again - this time last year we visited our tomato farm and were coming away with baskets for 5 - today got one for 6 - any more tomato recipes - tried a few soup ones last year - anyone got a really good tomato soup one - looked at Jamie's which added milk but was not sure whether it would freeze?

Any thoughts folks?? crossed

yummy There was one recipie I tried once.

Slice the top off one large tomato and a little of the bottom.  Scoop out some of the inside (the result will be a small bowl).  Crack one egg and put this in the hollowed-out tomato.  Break the yolk and place the tomato in a microwave-safe dish.  Microwave for about 2 minutes (until the egg sets). 

**You have to break the yolk prior to putting the tomato in the microwave.  You don't want the yolk breaking IN the oven.   hmm

Likes (0)