forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sat 29 Aug 09 5:52pm

ljbritt50

Occupation Gluten Free Cooking Coach and College Cooking Instructor
From Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Member since Sat 03 Jan 09

Re: STARCH -FREE- is it possible?

Some people are confused about carbohydrates and starch. They are not the same thing at all. Vegetables and fruit contain carbohydrates that are good for you. Some root vegetables contain high levels of carbohydrates in the form of starch. Some of us eliminate those from our diets, as well as grains, for health reasons.

To quote Dr. Brasco:

"Health Risk Associated with reduced Carbohydrate Intake

Another argument against carbohydrate restriction focuses on the purported health risk of this dietary approach. Of the three macronutrients, protein, fat and carbohydrate, it is only carbohydrate that is nonessential to the human diet. Humans can exist for extraordinarily long periods of time without carbohydrate consumption as long as essential protein and fat needs are met. It is thus perplexing why nutritional dogma ascribes so many risks to the restriction of this non-essential nutrient."

Likes (0)

#22 Sat 29 Aug 09 5:58pm

ljbritt50

If you want more information about the scientific and medical information related to the issue of carbohydrates and starch you might find the following of interest.

http://www.mercola.com/article/carbohyd … grains.htm

Low Grain and Carbohydrate Diets Treat Hypoglycemia, Heart Disease, Diabetes Cancer and Nearly ALL Chronic Illness

by Joseph Brasco, MD

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 29 Aug 09 11:56pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

lj, thanks, the problem is that Diabetes and the whole syndrome this article discusses is really very complex, we have to go on the advice of his doctors about diet and medications and it takes constant monitoring.  I am seeing the affects firsthand because I monitor his blood at every meal all weekend.  For instance, potato chips, not good, even a 1/3 portion today was a problem for my father.  Someone looking at that little picture that includes white potatoes in the 2/3 portion of the wheel, might think a big plate of those or french fries with some meat and maybe for a grain, some white bread is ok, well it's unhealthy for my father.  I am now understanding the diet and implications better and we are changing the way we eat, not cutting out fruits and all starches, but no one really needs refined white flour or sugar to be healthy.

Likes (0)

#24 Sun 30 Aug 09 4:18am

ljbritt50

I totally agree MsPablo. Each person is unique and has needs that are specific to them. Following the advice of your personal health care provider is the way to go. I also agree that it's extremely complex. Finding answers takes time, patience and a lot fo hard work. I've been struggling with this for more than 2 years and I'm still learning every day. Unless a person is going through it themselves or for a family member, they really don't understand.

I hope that your father does well and that you have all the support you need.

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 28 Jan 10 7:32pm

artypie

Member since Thu 28 Jan 10

I have ankylosing spondylitis which is an autoimmune disorder. The diet for this is low in starch but sugars are allowed. I have read that the only fruits and veg to avoid are rhubarb, bananas, parsnips, sweetcorn and cauliflower. Some nuts, lentils and beans should be avoided.

I have cut out all bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, cakes, biscuits, crisps and cornchips etc as well as avoiding sausages, stuffing and anything else with starch in the list of ingredients. I am eating fruit yoghurt and milky coffee for breakfast, cold cooked lean meat and a large mixed salad followed by grapes and a pear for lunch, then a hot cooked meal at night, such as home made beef bolognese sauce topped with grated cheese with a mixed salad on the side or gammon and eggs with grilled tomatoes followed by fruit. If I feel peckish in between I eat dried fruit, a yoghurt or some fresh fruit. Occasionally I might have some fudge or chocolate. I choose to drink decaf during the day with the occasional fruit tea, as fruit tea can make your joints more painful.

This diet is wholesome and filling and it is not cutting out any food group because sugars are allowed. Since being on it my pain has significantly reduced and my hair has become soft and lustrous. I am losing a little weight, slowly, which is desirable for my joints and breathing.

This diet was discovered to be beneficial to people with autoimmune disorders by a respected doctor and has been backed up by study.

Refined starches have never been considered good for anybody.

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 14 Nov 12 11:37am

starch123

Member since Wed 14 Nov 12

MsPablo wrote:

I have been making this type of food for my father because he has Diabetes.  You would want to avoid rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, pasta and breads and probably most fruits.  Beans and dairy have some carbs, if your friend's diet is quite strict, you may ask him if it's ok to include.  It's pretty safe to grill or broil fish or meat, serve with most any other vegetables and salads.  Root vegetables tend to be more starchy.  My advice is that you make a variety of colorful foods so that you won't have much if any need for rice and starchy foods.  Also, vinegar is a good thing.

Here are some sample foods that I make for my father:

Grilled chicken over mixed field greens, 'zhoozhed up' with red bell pepper, radishes, tomatoes, dressing of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and shredded parmesan/romano cheese.

Stuffed Cabbage (fill with meat and vegs, no rice) I layer with sauerkraut and cook with tomato sauce flavored with cinnamon, etc.

Some of the best choices for vegs on no or low carb diets - Cauliflower, Asparagus, Cabbage, Onions, Tomatoes, Lettuces

Sesame Slaw (serve with any fish or meat)
Equal parts red and green cabbage, finely shredded
Finely Sliced Red/Orange or Yellow Bell Pepper
Finely Sliced Red Onion
Small quantity of Apple, finely diced (you can leave this out if his diet is very strict)
Dressing - Sprinkle over the salad - Pinch of salt, Spoonful or two of Rice Wine Vinegar and Toasted Sesame Oil.

Meatloaf made without any bread filler.  Instead, I add a little tomato sauce, worsterchire, sauteed onion, garlic, two eggs, herbs.  Coat with tomato sauce to bake.

I made a version of Jamie's Spring Minestrone, you can leave out the pasta and starchy vegs and use whatever vegetables are in season.  Top with basil pesto to serve..

Homemade tomato soup, Onion soup minus the bread.

Im really not sure if Cauliflower & tomatoes are Starch free. Also be careful on how you Satuee your onions. If they caramelise it turns to starch and Worcester Sauce contains modified Starch therefore worcester sauce contains starch and is not starch free. You really need to check the labels closely.

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 14 Nov 12 12:12pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Cauliflower and tomatoes are both very low on the GI index.  You can google to find some Glycemic Index charts of various foods.  Onions are fine.  This is about relative amounts, not about always consuming absolutely zero carbs.

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 03 Dec 12 4:57pm

starch123

Member since Wed 14 Nov 12

MsPablo wrote:

Cauliflower and tomatoes are both very low on the GI index.  You can google to find some Glycemic Index charts of various foods.  Onions are fine.  This is about relative amounts, not about always consuming absolutely zero carbs.

Again, I think you are confusing Carbs with Starch. They are different beasts

Likes (0)

#29 Tue 04 Dec 12 6:10am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Isn't starch just another word for complex carbohydrates?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starch
whistle

Likes (0)

#30 Tue 04 Dec 12 9:12pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Yes. Carbs are either sugar, starch or cellulose (which we can't metabolise, so it doesn't really count except as dietary fibre).

And if someone wants to avoid starch for whatever reason, fair enough, but this doesn't apply to everyone. I have no argument with starch. It's always been good to me.

Also, voluntarily avoiding starch is a completely different thing from diabetes, which means being forced to limit all carbs, both starch and sugar, but not necessarily cut them out. Advice for a low-starch diet just isn't that applicable to diabetes.

Likes (0)