forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 27 Oct 09 6:09pm

RDG85

Member since Tue 27 Oct 09

Defrosting and using pre cooked prawns?

Hi, I have a bag of pre cooked prawns in the freezer. The small experience I have using prawns is with fresh raw prawns!

I have 2 questions:

1) What is the best way to defrost my prawns?

2) I want to use the prawns on a pizza, I assume if I put them on the pizza at the beginning they will go rubbery because they're already cooked, would it be best to throw them on a minute before the pizza is ready or something like that?

Thanks in advance for any answers  big_smile

Last edited by RDG85 (Tue 27 Oct 09 6:09pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Oct 09 6:30pm

trimmer

Member since Thu 15 Oct 09

Re: Defrosting and using pre cooked prawns?

Defrost them in a bowl of cold water -- they only need to be taken out of the freezer a few minutes before you plan to use them and covered with water briefly, so long as they are frozen separate, and not in a block.

As for the pizza -- well, I've never put them on pizza, only used them in things that don't require further cooking -- but I would think that you wouldn't want to cook them any further, or as little as possible, so I would suggest tossing them on at the end, or serving them separate for those who like to add as they will.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Oct 09 7:12pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Yes a bowl of cold water to defrost.
If you tip them into some kitchen roll in your hands and give them a light squeeze you remove any excess water.
I would also add them just for the last few minutes of cooking or fry them briskly and throw them on top once the pizza is removed from the oven.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 27 Oct 09 9:45pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Prawns, especially the incompletely defrosted ones, have a lot of water in them and can make the pizza soggy. I agree with mr spice, pan fry for a few minutes after defrosting and then pop on the pizza, I would then put it back in the oven for a few minutes - they don't go badly rubbery.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 02 Nov 09 8:29pm

formerYank

Member since Sun 25 Oct 09

We put the frozen pre-cooked prawns in boiling water off the hob and stir.  We usually have butter and a bit of minced garlic heating in another pan and then add the heated prawns to enjoy with bread or you could probably then use them to top your pizza.  Not putting cold prawns on a hot pizza! The bit of heating in the garlic butter tends to eliminate any excess water. smile

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 03 Nov 09 11:13am

lynnej

Occupation Web Designer
From Netherlands
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

I remember some time, some where, reading that you should defrost prawns in milk instead of water, there was a good reason for it, however I can't for the life of me remember why.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 03 Nov 09 11:31am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

I have always used a bit of salt in the defrosting water, just enough to be like the sea. Placing on kitchen paper or in a collander to drain after is necessary also. I agree with White Rabbit a little time in the oven is good. Good luck with the pizza.

Likes (0)