forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 09 Mar 09 5:15pm

fireworkmaster

Member since Mon 09 Mar 09

Re: Kitchen knives

hi i have used these for many years both in work and at home www .richmondcookshop.co.uk/index.php?manufacturers_id=22&gclid=CPWY3rGelpkCFQrFGgodtFNNZw  i prefer the the classic range.
For home use I would say a good 10" knife a 6" knife, boning and filleting knives and a couple of good pairing knifes also a good bread knife is very handy
had to put a sapce after the www as newbies not alowed to post links
hope this helps
martin

Last edited by fireworkmaster (Mon 09 Mar 09 5:17pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 09 Mar 09 8:59pm

snakeman

Occupation Professional snake breeder - Herpetologist
From Ontario Canada
Member since Mon 16 Feb 09

I'm actually leaning towards a Misano UX10 Santoku 7.1 inch. Any feedback on them?

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 09 Mar 09 10:08pm

Cotty

Member since Sat 24 Jan 09

Not sure if I can post a link but will try anyway
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Molyb … T:%20240px
I have the Misono Petty 120mm  and it is very good. I need to get a whet stone  to keep it sharp. Best knife I have ever used

Last edited by Cotty (Mon 09 Mar 09 10:10pm)

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 21 Nov 09 10:14am

philip8

Member since Sat 21 Nov 09

I am a newbie here also, I'm so interested if knife is the topic. I've been in my uncle last month then he showed me his
throwing knife  . I am really amazed because he showed on how to throw a knife easily.

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 21 Nov 09 8:43pm

Torilla

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

Not quite the thing which is useful in your kitchen unless you got very nerving guests around  whistle

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 22 Nov 09 9:23am

jerkseasoning

Member since Thu 05 Nov 09

This is a really useless bit of information, but about 10 years ago I purchased on of those chinese chopping knives, the ones that look like meat cleavers, and apart from using it trying to chop through thick raw meat bones (which by the way only dented the wretched knife) have never used since for chopping anything, sits on the shelf going rusty as only made from steel, always go for my good 10 inch stainless, one of those that keeps a good edge and doesn't need sharpening. mad

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 22 Nov 09 9:27am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

philip8 wrote:

I am a newbie here also, I'm so interested if knife is the topic. I've been in my uncle last month then he showed me his
throwing knife  . I am really amazed because he showed on how to throw a knife easily.

Personally...I only use my knives when cooking and I intend to keep it that way !!!!

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 22 Nov 09 12:32pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

jerkseasoning wrote:

This is a really useless bit of information, but about 10 years ago I purchased on of those chinese chopping knives, the ones that look like meat cleavers, and apart from using it trying to chop through thick raw meat bones (which by the way only dented the wretched knife) have never used since for chopping anything, sits on the shelf going rusty as only made from steel, always go for my good 10 inch stainless, one of those that keeps a good edge and doesn't need sharpening. mad

I can tell you what they are really good for! Cracking coconuts! You use the blunt side. Set up the coconut so its eyes are half way up the side and then give a good whack with your cleaver and it should crack beautifully.
(That is all my big cleaver is good for too wink )

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 22 Nov 09 12:57pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

I bought a knife from Aldi in England when I was home last Christmas.
It cost 13 pounds, instead of the 21 euros it was selling for in Germany.
It is a HGS, 6" Damast Steel, made in Solingen.
I use it daily and it stays sharp for ages.
I'm really happy with it.
I'd love a nice set of expensive knives, but I've bought some in the past (wmf) which really weren't as good as I expected...so I'm quite wary neutral

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 22 Nov 09 5:04pm

jerkseasoning

Member since Thu 05 Nov 09

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

jerkseasoning wrote:

I can tell you what they are really good for! Cracking coconuts! You use the blunt side. Set up the coconut so its eyes are half way up the side and then give a good whack with your cleaver and it should crack beautifully.  mmm!
(That is all my big cleaver is good for too wink )

mmm! luv coconut

Likes (0)