forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 28 Dec 09 10:55pm

bravestrong

Member since Mon 28 Dec 09

JAMIE! Congratulations on Winning the 2010 TED Prize!!!

"the chef who's transforming the way we feed our children ...

JAMIE OLIVER

The prize grants him $100,000 -- and something much bigger: "a wish to change the world." He'll unveil the wish on February 10 at TED2010 and we, the TED community, will make it come true.

Some key achievements:

* 12 television series, seen in 130 countries
    * 10 cookbooks, translated into 29 languages, and sold almost 24 million copies in 56 countries
    * His School Dinners/Feed Me Better campaign pressured the UK government to invest $1 billion to overhaul school lunches
    * Founded the Fifteen Foundation, a social enterprise and chef apprenticeship for 18-24 yr olds. Based in London, it has been replicated through franchising in Amsterdam, Cornwall and Melbourne
    * A new TV series, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution USA, is to air on ABC in 2010, bringing Jamie's unique vision to America

At the heart of Oliver's work is an assault on the obesity epidemic: The CDC states that one in four Americans are considered obese. It is estimated that 43 percent of Americans, or 103 million people, will be obese by 2018. The cost of this epidemic is anticipated to reach $344 billion per year. It currently accounts for almost 10 percent of the yearly US health care costs, and that rate will rise to 21 percent by 2018. WHO's latest projections indicate that, globally in 2005, approximately 1.6 billion adults were overweight and projects that by 2015, that figure will rise to 2.3 billion."

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 29 Dec 09 9:36pm

Tieneke

From Belgium
Member since Thu 28 Dec 06

Re: JAMIE! Congratulations on Winning the 2010 TED Prize!!!

Fantastic!

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 30 Dec 09 6:10pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Keep up the good work Jamie (and team). Can't wait to see just what the future holds in store. Maybe ensuring that the song 'Lamb Curry' will beat 2010 X-Factor release to be the next Christmas' number one. smile  big_smile  mrgreen  lol  thumbsup  clap

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 30 Dec 09 6:15pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Now here's a guy who's autobiography I would read. A man that who'd be fascinating to see on 'This Is Your Life'. thumbsup

Also, while we're on the subject of TED (Technology, Entertainment, and Design) and a person of outstanding creativity who has had a hand in the improvement of the way our children are educated about their food. Here's a very interesting viewpoint on education and creativity. clap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

Last edited by TerryKay (Wed 30 Dec 09 6:46pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 30 Dec 09 8:23pm

Ida T

Occupation Mother of two princes.
From Kristiansand, Norway
Member since Mon 05 Jan 09

clap  thumbsup  gratulations Jamie

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 30 Dec 09 8:52pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

thumbsup  big_smile well done you deserve it big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 30 Dec 09 10:31pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Thats fantastic... well done Jamie!

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 15 Jan 10 1:14pm

MrGlenn

Member since Sun 20 Jan 08

Hello,
I am so pleased for you Jamie, congratulations, in my opinion it's the most worthwhile award that can be bestowed. I have been a TED fan for many years and the talks are fascinating, I have always come away with something or a new way of looking at things. On a personal note I think you are a quite a decent chap and I admire everything you are trying to do, and that is the crux of the matter, you are trying where most people shrug and walk away. So once again well done and good luck.
Glenn

I don't know if Jamie reads these, perhaps someone could forward it to him.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 16 Jan 10 6:33pm

WackyFiasco

Occupation mother & management student
From Orlando, Florida, USA
Member since Wed 19 Mar 08

Grats, Jamie, well done!

I have been a member of the TED community for a few years now, and I have supported the efforts of past TED Prize winners Jehane Noujaim (Pangea Day: http://www.pangeaday.org/) and Karen Armstrong (Charter for Compassion: http://charterforcompassion.org/).  I plan to support your Ted Prize wish (whatever it may be) with the same gravitas and commitment! 

Welcome to the "club", and be prepared for a real turbo-boost to your cause.  No, seriously; I hope you're prepared for it, so get ready to roll those well-worn sleeves up even higher!  big_smile  clap

http://blog.ted.com/2009/12/ted_prize_winne_4.php

Last edited by WackyFiasco (Sat 16 Jan 10 6:38pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 16 Jan 10 7:03pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Congratulations Jamie!  clap   Looking forward to seeing what your TED wish is.

Likes (0)