minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Pancakes !

mrpab wrote:

minerva wrote:

... sweet OR savoury please, not both on the same plate at the same time! ...

now come on min, don't be a shrinking violet, you have to experience the combo sweet/savoury, it's a whole new world!

puke  puke  puke  Yeah, right ...........I will when I've finished  puke

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 18 Feb 10 1:46pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

oh good, I'm glad you will try it min, but why the green face? wink
by the way you can also have your butter-and-maple-syrup pancakes with sausages, that's another great combo - now, no green faces please, but if they had a "i feel fat" smiley that would be appropriate!

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 18 Feb 10 2:13pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

smile  tongue  smile lemon juice and a little sugar yummy

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 18 Feb 10 3:28pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

mrpab wrote:

oh good, I'm glad you will try it min, but why the green face? wink
by the way you can also have your butter-and-maple-syrup pancakes with sausages, that's another great combo - now, no green faces please, but if they had a "i feel fat" smiley that would be appropriate!

Sorry bub, that combo wouldn't stay in long enough for me to need a fat-face smiley!  lol

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 18 Feb 10 4:04pm

whitedog

Forum champ
Occupation striving to be a better human
From america
Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

Minerva, you are pulling our collective leg, no? Never had sausages or bacon and pancakes with maple syrup? Sweet and savory like turkey and cranberry sauce or curry and chutney, leg o lamb and mint jelly....barbeque sauce???!!! Its not that strange, and in US its traditional. The sausages or bacon are on the side, get just a little stickiness on their edges, or not if your careful.... it could be a whole new thing for you, maybe wait till your feeling calm and even bored   shocked  yikes  might be a while.

Last edited by whitedog (Thu 18 Feb 10 4:07pm)

Likes (0)

#26 Thu 18 Feb 10 4:13pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

Don't worry Minerva, I have never had those american style pancakes either, although will give them a go sometime. It is not as common it seems in the UK or Australia to have the savoury/sweet style pancake like in the US.

Likes (0)

#27 Thu 18 Feb 10 6:39pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I first tried the combination when we were in the US for a holiday in 2004.  Before that, I was rather against the idea - but we found this superb diner in Jackson Hole, Wyoming which made the most delicious buckwheat pancakes slathered in maple syrup with crispy bacon on the side  dribble   It smelled so good whilst waiting for a seat that we just had to try them when we finally sat down, and I've been making them at home ever since (although it's never quite the same or quite as good).

But I still reckon there's nothing much that can beat a proper British pancake drizzled with lemon juice and sugar  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 18 Feb 10 7:02pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I regret that we didn't try fairy cakes and British pancakes on the short trips there.  Next time we'll be sure to ask all of you what and where.  I love Brittany crepes with butter, dipped into a big bowl of cafe au lait, or buckwheat crepes (galletes) with savory fillings, American style with sweet or with a side of bacon, multi-grain, buckwheat, I make them with many fillings.

Some things I might add to American style pancakes and this would be a typical jet-lag dinner:

- pumpkin and walnuts or pecans
- blueberries or other berries
- almonds or walnuts and bananas or apples
- cinnamon and raisins
- fresh squeezed orange juice, dash of Cointreau

Flavored maple syrups:  melt butter and maple syrup with:  blueberries, strawberries, orange juice, blackberries.  Using these helps cut down a bit on how much butter and syrup you need to use.

I love Korean savory pancakes, but can't find a recipe that really matches what I had there.

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 18 Feb 10 8:18pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Buckwheat pancakes were a favorite of my fathers MsP , He had a French Aunt ( I think ) who used to make them for him , as far as I know , he always savory fillings in the Buckwheat Pancakes.

The thin Crepes are more what I make , ou are right , buttered pancakes are good , one of my favorites , may be I should try them with some Cafe au lait .. good suggestion.

Likes (0)

#30 Fri 19 Feb 10 5:03am

dmfootycoach

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Mon 11 Jan 10

You guys are driving me nuts. What the heck is a svoury pancake? I'm familiar with pancakes (we know them as flapjacks) and crepes thanks to the Quebecois. But I now have to try these things.  And what do they go with?

Likes (0)