forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Mon 22 Mar 10 6:40am

CAHOPEFUL

Member since Mon 22 Mar 10

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

I am so glad Jamie is making everyone aware of how BAD the food is that our children are eating EVERY day at school.  I am trying to cut ALL proceesed foods from my families diet, but it is hard!  My son is hooked on school food and I think it is junk!  I just learned that my kids get to serve themselves in their lunchroom with as much as they want!  I was told because of budget cuts it has to be this way!  BULLSHIT!  What has happened to our country!  I am with you Jamie and I am going to try to save our kids too!

Likes (0)

#22 Mon 22 Mar 10 6:48am

Sharonbrookes

Hi Jamie, I just watched your show tonight on Huntington school.  I cannot believe the ignorance of the dinner ladies there, they probably feed that same crap to their own families "Yuk"  They are absolutely ignorant and do not seem willing to take good advice and appreciate what you are trying to do for them.  Good luck with that, you have more patients than me. 
They don't know how to find their own country on a map, let alone what to feed their children.  I also see Canada following right behind them, everyone I see lately is obese.  It is just pure laziness!

Likes (0)

#23 Mon 22 Mar 10 7:03am

rmajean

Go Jamie!

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 22 Mar 10 7:30am

Melani

I have was born in Chicago.  I grew up and live in Memphis, Tennessee.  I am an elementary school teacher by profession, wife, and mother.  Our food system in the U.S. is less than adequate.  I see the statistics steadily rising for children developing type 2 diabetes.  Having grown up in the Dorito and Little Debbie generation of the 80's, I have struggled with weight most of my life. 

I have worked hard to educate myself on nutrition and organic food to provide the best I can afford for my family.  I find spending more for quality, fresh, organic ingredients is worth it.  We aren't spending on fast food nor are we buying the processed junk!  My son still needs to reduce his chip intake even if they are baked or organic.  However, both kids eat Greek yogurt, salads, whole grains, and fresh fruit daily.  I would much rather spend the "fast food dollars" their favorite apples or grapes than artery clogging burgers and fries.  I purchase organic meats on the day the butcher marks them down and freeze them.  The money we used to spend on Oreos now goes to strawberries or blueberries.  I cleared out trans fats first a few years ago. 

It does take more planning and prep to cook and not depend on convenience foods.  For example, I packed turkey breast on whole wheat wraps to take to the park for a Saturday lunch after a morning of errands.  In the past we would go through the fast food drive through for burgers.  We do still have dessert on occasion; however, I try to make it from scratch with real ingredients. 

I still have a ways to go personally before I have improved my relationship with food.  But I feel confident that my children are on the right path.  There is still room for improvement...progress not perfection!

Areas of poverty where students receive free breakfast and lunch are most at risk.   There was a school here that actually served funnel cakes for breakfast recently.  Yet, they claim to be adapting Mrs. Obama's initiative against childhood obesity.  There is a great deal of resistance to change, a lack of nutritional education and funding.  I am thankful Jamie Oliver is willing to take a stand and genuinely care.  I would be willing to start a movement in my city for change.  It will not happen if we do not push for it.  Our kids are our future.  Is there anything worth more than them?  The time has come for change or no amount of healthcare reform can help us if we keep poisoning our children!  Thank you Jamie!  Keep up the good work and let us know what else we can do! 

Melani

Likes (0)

#25 Mon 22 Mar 10 7:44am

leamas

Jamie,

I am from Vancouver, BC and I just finished watching the first episode of Jamie's Food Revolution and I'm proud of what you are doing.  I hope you stay strong because I know I would have cracked the first day.  I don't understand how people can be so stubborn with listening to advise.  For example, the news radio jockey is suddenly getting defensive and stating he won't eat lettuce for dinner, even though you weren't even criticizing him.

I don't preach myself since I have bad habits when eating, such as grabbing a hamburger on the run...  but when shopping, I will not buy any products that have ingredients I don't recognize.  These products usually are all from the frozen department like TV dinners.  When it came to those lunch ladies (cooks), they were so stubborn.  You tried to show them that these items that they are serving is full of preservatives and they treat it like "well the first ingredient is chicken, so it is all good!".  What ignorance.

The saddest part to this episode was that you tried so hard to provide something good for the school and community and you didn't give out as much chicken than pizza and the lunch lady (cook) laughs like she won.  I'm sorry girl, but you didn't win... you only gave out more pizzas.

People everywhere need to learn to listen and not get defensive when someone gives you information.  If you disagree, instead of arguing go to your computer or your local library and do some research.  This way you do not look like a fool if the information is valid.

In all fairness it was good to see one family listening to you, and I hope that they will continue to eat fresh food and be healthier.  I hope that family all the best and much love from Canada.

Once again, thanks Jamie for taking a step forward in making our world a healthier place.

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 22 Mar 10 8:19am

grammie

Hi all, I just want to say that this is a big problem in America and has been for a long time. I have discussed this for a while now. I know the biggest problem in the USA is the cost and the time. Most of us don't have the time or the money to eat right, right? Wrong! I am a grandma and was a single working parent for 18 years. I won't lie and say that I never fed my kids "Fast Food", but I was selective. If you look around and take the time (what little you have, trust me I know) you can find healthy food no matter where you go! I agree with Jamie and something needs to be done NOW!!!!! As I was raising my children (through the late 80's and 90's) I was surprised at how many people I met (even then) that did not know what a WELL BALANCED MEAL ACTUALLY IS!!! Sure, you have to splurge every once in a while, but why sacrifice your children's health just because you are tired (IS IT REALLY WORTH IT JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T TAKE AN EXTRA HOUR OUT OF YOUR LIFE). One of the biggest things that I agree with in his show was the fact that he is willing to teach the KIDS how to cook healthy. That is where it starts is in the home. When he was asking the kids what they ate for dinner the night before and most of then were saying "chicken nuggets and chicken fingers" are Americans REALLY THAT LAZY that they can't take the time out to teach their kids anymore. Some of the proudest moments of my life were when my kids cooked dinner and it was a WELL BALANCED MEAL, you know (meat, vegie, starch). You Kick A** Jamie and teach these LAZY AMERICANS WHAT COOKING IS REALLY ABOUT WHEN IT COMES TO THEIR KIDS HEALTH!

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 22 Mar 10 4:06pm

Sonomabound

Thank God for this man!
  My eight year old twins get teased at school because they bring a healthy lunch and do not like to eat the breaded and fried offerings at school.

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 22 Mar 10 4:42pm

lizdehart

Member since Sat 20 Mar 10

Anyone interested in a "Moms For A Food Revolution" Facebook page?

Likes (0)

#29 Mon 22 Mar 10 4:51pm

lizdehart

Member since Sat 20 Mar 10

Sharonbrookes wrote:

Hi Jamie, I just watched your show tonight on Huntington school.  I cannot believe the ignorance of the dinner ladies there, they probably feed that same crap to their own families "Yuk"  They are absolutely ignorant and do not seem willing to take good advice and appreciate what you are trying to do for them.  Good luck with that, you have more patients than me. 
They don't know how to find their own country on a map, let alone what to feed their children.  I also see Canada following right behind them, everyone I see lately is obese.  It is just pure laziness!

I would have to disagree. Calling someone lazy or ignorant is not the way to solve this problem. Educating them on healthy wholesome foods is the only way to go.

Likes (0)

#30 Mon 22 Mar 10 5:15pm

mgd66

You go Jamie!!!  Good luck with the Food Revolution.   Your show was fantastic and you will find that most (and I wrote most - not all) of America thinks and feels like that small town and we need not only a food revolution in this country - but glad you are taking on the food project. It is ridiculous all the red tape involved with the so-called USDA guidelines.  I think it is rubbish - especially about the 2 breads a day - really?    I learned in growing up and also in raising my own child that you keep introducing the good foods to children and as their taste buds change and grow they will choose the fruits and vegetables and good foods but as long as we keep throwing all that "brown and white" and processed food at them, of course, they will choose that every time and as adults will have the taste buds of children.  It is sad how much of our food is processed and how little fruits and vegetables America eats.  I try every day to influence someone to make better choices about what they eat and to do some sort of exercise.  Again good luck to you.  If you come to Houston, Texas on this Food Revolution, I could only hope to have the chance to see you work and meet you.  wink

Likes (0)