forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 22 Mar 10 3:22pm

kswisher74

Member since Mon 22 Mar 10

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Maybe they should show this community films like Food, Inc or Super Size me.  Maybe they would get a clue!

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 22 Mar 10 3:52pm

jackeroo

Occupation network architect
From Boston MA

HI, I am so excited to see the revolution in Huntington.  I grew up in Anawalt WV, it is a small coal mining town in southern WV.  I grew up with a horrible diet which I am struggling to change now at 37 years old, I weigh in right now at 280 pounds but am using Weight Watchers to change my eating habbits.  I just wanted to say good luck, I hope you can make a difference in WV.

Jack.

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 22 Mar 10 4:20pm

metalmaiden

From Connecticut, USA

Everyone has expressed my feeling. Not much more I can say except to add my "ME TOO!!"

Thank you Jamie! I'm behind this revolution 100%.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 22 Mar 10 4:44pm

Clorisa

I use school lunches as a punishment for my son.  The school food here is terrible.  I have on several occassions ate lunch with him and tried to keep down what they served but couldn't.  What is sad, some of these kids, this is their only meal for the day.  We have a lot of backpack meals going home with kids so they can eat in the evening or weekends.  Its just so sad that the trash they serve is all they have to choose from. 
Wish you could come to Oklahoma and show them how its done.  Great job.  smile

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 22 Mar 10 5:31pm

Christli

Member since Mon 23 Apr 07

It broke my heart watching your first episode of the new series last night.  I watched Ministry of Food on the Food Network last year, and thought it was incredible that you would be willing to try this in America.  I felt like that you may have gotten in over your head a little with all the negative press and bureaucratic issues on this one.  I mean really, how are you going to the change the minds of brainwashed kids in just one week with having to compete with all the pre-made "food" they are serving. 

I know you had this challenge in the UK as well, and it was clear that the kids will most often choose the more familiar product if given a choice (usually the premade frozen foods) and not the healthier food.  As parents we try to do what is best for the kids, but rarely take time to look at what is really in these products.  Sure the 1st ingredient on the list is chicken, in the chicken nuggets at the school, and I'm sure they could have the choice of some products that may not.  So, I'm sure they feel they are making the best choice of the ones given. 

We don't have such lunch programs in cities and towns around where I live in Canada.  Though we still have food issues.  Many people have lost the art of cooking, and have given in to the temptation of convenience.  Of course convenience comes at a cost.  They now have prewashed, peeled and cut potatoes that you take out of the freezer and steam in the microwave to cook mashed potatoes.  Granted it's a better option than some others out there, but seriously have we really lost the ability to peel and cook  a potato!  With most of us experiencing a major financial crunch the last few years, you'd think we'd realize that making our own food is more costs less, though it is more labour intensive.

It's brilliant to start with the children, as they eat what we feed them.  Our food dollars are often spent trying to appease them.  No longer are sweets, chips and fast food just a "treat" it is the norm.  The horrid part of all this is we are paying to  do this damage to our health, our bodies and our children!

For as many children who go hungry in North America, it sickened me to watch these kids take portions of food and barely taste them.  What a waste.  Why are they forced to take food they aren't going to eat.  I realize this program is supposed to help them want to eat the nutritious food.  Why not smaller portion options for some kids.  Seriously there were milk bottles almost 3/4 full being thrown away; as well asfruit with barely a bite taken from it, and almost full servings of beans, potatoes, salad and whatnot.  Can we cut fruit up?  Smaller drink portions? 

I realize the school board is trying to serve up what the Food Guide recommends, but maybe it needs to be distributed differently.  Couldn't some items be handed out as a snack during recess or at the end of the day.  I know my kids can't always manage to finish a big breakfast and lunch everyday.  I try to get in those missing servings of fruit, veggies, milk products, etc. as snacks instead of chocolate bars and cookies!

I was also appalled that the head man insisted that there be 2 bread servings with lunch.  Unless I'm wrong, and the Canadian and America Food guides are that different, isn't the category grains (or breads) and cereals not just breads?  I think someone in the school board who creates the food requirements needs to read what is included in that food group, I'm pretty sure whole grain foods (including rice) would be included.

It truly broke my heart to see you so hurt by the rejection of the process.  You continue to sacrifice so much to make people aware of these issues.  Your ideas do create change.  I hope this series breaks through the hardened hearts of all North Americans to want to do better for our children, and not leave them continually struggling with a legacy of worsening health problems, but an ability to make healthy choices for themselves!

Wishing you much success!  I wish I could sign the pledge, but I do not live in the US.  I hope it truly is a food revolution, we all could use a change for the better.

Teona P
Manitoba, Canada

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 22 Mar 10 6:38pm

ssonia1

OK, I watched the Food Revolution last night & I have a 17 month old. He doesn't eat pizza or chicken fingers all that much, but when they were showing all the bad food, he kept going up to the tv saying "nummy nummy". He does the same thing when he sees ice cream & he's only had ice cream twice in his life. There is a flash card app on my phone that has ice cream & he tries to lick the phone.  It's just weird, how does a 17 month old know that ice cream & nuggets are nummy by looking at them.  He doesn't do the same thing when he sees veggies.  If he eats veggies or chicken he will say it while eating sometimes, but from just seeing junk food.  What's wrong with this picture?

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 22 Mar 10 6:43pm

ives

Member since Tue 10 Feb 09

We all have to do our share to make the food revolution a global movement. Being aware of what we eat and what our families and friends eat every day is a big step. It's a difficult process--changing the cafeteria system and the fast food culture. But every successful campaign begins with people spreading the word and acting collectively.

Also, it's not just being aware of how bad or unhealthy the food some of us are eating, but ultimately knowing that there are places where hunger is real.

Likes (0)

#18 Mon 22 Mar 10 10:32pm

dtanski

Occupation Teacher
From Fort Collins, Colorado- USA
Member since Mon 23 Jun 08

Jamie,

I am a currently a teacher and I see this kind of travesty on a day to day basis. As a tax payer we try and put our money to good use, but the red-tape has seemed to jumble things all up.

The first episode was ROUGH! Any revolution is, but you said it correctly when you said that following your heart is the right thing to do and you know it.

Not only do I support you, I'd drop everything to work for you. That's what my heart tells me to do. You or your organization calls, I'm there.

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 23 Mar 10 12:46am

stigsbeast

I watched the show last night, out of curiosity.  I wanted to see how bad things were.

I don't have kids at school, but I was kinda shocked as to the junk they were serving up and that it was approved at the schools.  I'm like Jamie, I never heard of pizza being served for breakfast, either.   puke   I felt so bad for him, when he was met with negativity and the kids were not eating or wasting the good food items. 

So far, the only rays of light are the pastor and that one family he helped out.  I hope that family is still eating freshly cooked, healthy meals and that they did not get another deep-fryer! 

I'll continue watching the show to see how Jamie progresses.  I am totally rooting for him, that he can turn things around!  YOU GO, BRO'!!!!   crossed   clap   kiss

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 23 Mar 10 1:19am

Cmhs2013

Occupation Student
From Ona, WV

kswisher74 wrote:

Maybe they should show this community films like Food, Inc or Super Size me.  Maybe they would get a clue!

First off, I live in a smaller town right outside of Huntington (That's pronounced Hun-ing-ten, not Hunt-ting-ten. You only pronounce the last 't'). I obviously know about the movement.

Let me get this straight for you. Not all of us have health problems here because we're (to be put blunt) fat. It's called family history. True that weight issues won't exactly help that fact, but weight isn't the only factor.

Yes, the school food is disgusting. I know. Considering it's what I have to look at and (unfortunately) eat five days a week. Honestly though, most the students at lunch will pick off the icky, greasy parts. As for veggies? I love them, and I love fresh fruit. I can never get enough of them and no possessed or sugar filled thing can compare to them. Seriously, it's a freaking brawl for the strawberries and grapes. So it's safe to say the teens like them. However, you're only seeing the elementary school. What children go for veggies at that age? Not many, I can tell you that much.

I think Jamie Oliver has his heart in the right place, but his attitude, what you all didn't see when the cameras were rolling, that's what has angered us the most. He has called some people offensive names. So I think we have right to hold a little resistance to him as a person.

Also, thank you Jamie for causing people from other countries to come into our schools and take pictures of how fat we 'all' are. I want to especially thank you for the man from the Netherlands who took a picture of one of my best friends who isn't by any standards overweight. She cried for days because she was 'fat' due to the attention you brought to the area. The same supposed 'fat' girl who will possibly end up on Disney channel if her meetings and workshops go well.

We are not idiots, we are not all overweight, and we do not deserve to have anyone who feels like it slander us into obliteration because it makes them feel better about their own pathetic lives.

By the way, I've seen both those documentaries. Super Size Me is my favorite one of all time. Morgan Spurlock is an absolute genius, and I love his work.

Likes (0)