forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 23 Mar 10 2:10am

yonderways

From NC, USA and Shanghai, PRC
Member since Mon 22 Mar 10

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Brilliant concept and Jamie you're downright lovable and to be commended for your efforts.  I'm holding out hope that in the end the Americans are not patronized for the sake of reality TV ratings.  (It's sort of like sending an American dentist to England to promote good oral hygiene, now isn't it?)  I truly hope you will create a healthy monster to be reckoned with and one that can overcome bureaucracy and lobbyists with deep pockets.

And by golly, the school cafeteria staffers, no matter how well intentioned, are LUNCH LADIES (IMHO) until they start cooking. 

Rock on Jamie and THANK YOU!

Likes (0)

#22 Tue 23 Mar 10 2:38am

dawnmcpherson

Member since Tue 23 Mar 10

First of all, as so many others have stated, what you are doing, Jamie, is quite necessary and so very commendable.  I hesitate to thank you, though, because I am fearful of the connotations that have been evoked on this forum as well as from several of my friends while they were watching the premier last night.  I tend to take things personally, so as I watched, I began rehashing all of the problematic eating habits I have in my own life and how to make them better or eliminate them all together, as well as what I could be doing in the schools near where I live, but haven't done even though I was aware of the problems. 
With these thoughts going through my head, I was rather appalled to hear my mother and her neighbor make judgmental sounds and pretend to be shocked by some of the things filmed.  It seems that many people on this forum have snapped into that self-righteous position of repeating the mantra "Well, I eat..." and "My kids only eat..."  This is so frustrating.  "Maybe they would get a clue!"---This kind of bull is the very epitome of counter-productiveness.  Jamie made what I believe to be an excellent example against this type of holier-than-thou thinking by FIRST taking direction from the cooks at the school and participating in their routine before making his critiques and suggestions.
Perhaps rather than point fingers and make disgusted faces, we should examine our own lives and try to make even better choices for our own health and our families' health.  And if you really have all of the answers, than for goodness sakes, let's take up the revolution!  Stop complaining about your kids' schools (even if you do have the time to pack them perfectly-balanced meals daily) and get your tails in the faces of the administrators and affect some change of your own!
In response to the previous poster, as a sociologist, I understand that generalizations and what people do with them can be difficult to swallow.  And in all honesty true grass-roots movements begin in the communities they aim to change, and by those living there and directly linked to the effects, but it wasn't happening.  When I heard Jamie Oliver was coming to the most unhealthy city in America, I thought he was coming near my hometown to Columbus (it used to be up there on the charts).  And I was so excited for the city.  I am overweight.  And sure, diabetes and obesity run in my family, but I would not rely on those excuses in any degree, partially due to recent studies that show family history to be less influential in an individual's health than previously thought (though the insurance companies would have us believe otherwise).  I also would not use that defense because I believe in human AGENCY, and I can make poor choices or good ones. 
Perhaps I am hypocritical in turning it around and making it about me, but I'm trying to make the point that critical thinking about one's own situation is far more productive than pointing fingers or holing up in defensiveness.  Only then can we move on to the point where we can share lessons.  So lets get over ourselves and get to the point where we can make a concerted effort to back Jamie's revolution (even if you don't back his attitude, Cmhs2013) and move it into our own cities.

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 25 Mar 10 3:07am

Cmhs2013

Occupation Student
From Ona, WV
Member since Mon 22 Mar 10

I get what he's trying to do, and it's great to see that he's trying to do that. However, I am sick of everyone getting on these types of sites and saying things about how obese we 'all' are. That's what really bugging me. The stereotypical thought that we're all obese and we don't try at all to do anything about it. That is what I'm sick of, along with the fact that they can spin any words or actions the way they want on there.

The cooks in the school for example. One of the cooks is actually a good friend of mine. They made it seem like it was Jamie (The faithful hero) against the cooks (The nasty cooks who wants to make everyone obese and laugh evil laughs). Maybe it was just me, but that's how it seemed on the show and by some of the comments I've seen, others viewed it that way as well. Let me point this out, Huntington is by no means a town that gets much attention. We recived some attention from 'We Are Marshall' movie about four years back, but other than that we're pretty much just another invisible town. Now, I'll admit they did seem apprehensive, but don't you think any person who's not used to having a camera shoved in their face would feel that way about having to work with one (Hypothetically or literaly depending on the shot) over their shoulder? I know it would freak me out if someone did that while I was trying to do school work.

I honestly just wish people would stop posting utter crap about people they don't even know. Some of us do try to eat right and lose weight. I have some friends who completely cut out sugar that wasn't naturally in foods (Like the natural sugar in fruit) and anything carbs. They've lost a lot of weight. My own sister has lost almost twenty pounds eating right and excercising, before Jamie Oliver even announced he was coming to town. That family with the deep fryer (By the way Jamie, so not cool burring it. That is so bad for the enviorment, you should've disposed of it properly and burnt a piece of paper that said 'fryer' on it for symbolism or something along those lines.) isn't what all of us cook like. My own family uses it rarely.

So to those who feel the need to get stereotypical, don't. Not everyone in Ireland has red hair, not everyone in England are snobs, not everyone in New York City eat bagles every morning, and not everyone in Huntington is fat and lazy.

Last edited by Cmhs2013 (Thu 25 Mar 10 3:09am)

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 25 Mar 10 3:18am

cmazzullo77

Member since Thu 25 Mar 10

You are 100% right!!  Everyone in the United States should want this for their children. 

I am trying to propose an idea to this revolution but have no idea how.  Do any of you know???

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 25 Mar 10 12:29pm

sparks1234

Jamie should be contacting the School Nutrition Association.  They have been advocating for all the things he is talking about.  Many of the changes Jamie wants to make are already being accomplished in a majority of the school acroos the country.  The biggest obstacle to improvement is funding.
School Meal operators are expected provide heathy meals at a very low price and still break even financially!  In many school districts the Food and Nutrition Dept. pays for all the food, paper supplies, labor, benefits(if there are any), retirement, cleaning chemicals, equipment and repair, utilities, custodial services and anything else that pertains to their department.  The price students pay for meals is often less that the cost it takes to provide that meal so many districts sell snacks to offset the loss.
In states, such as Maryland, the Dept. of Education has set nutritional limits on the fat, sugar and salt content of snacks.  Maryland has funded the "Maryland Meals for Achievement" program where breakfast is offered each morning in the classroom.  The funding for this program was reduced due to buget constraints so the school meals operators have had to absorb the costs where possible or discontinue the program.
The Fresh Fruit and Vegetable program provides a fresh fruit or vegetable snack to students in the classroom during the school day.  Students also receive instruction from their teachers about the items that are offered.  The funding is limited to specific schools so not every student in the district can participate.
School Nutriton professionals would love to make all the changes Jamie wants, but like anything else, it takes funding. 
What restaurant would sell a Spaghetti (whole wheat pasta) and meatballs dinner with garden salad, fresh fruit, milk, and dinner roll for $2.50?

Likes (0)

#26 Thu 25 Mar 10 2:43pm

dgossman

Well Jamie ever since we watched the documentary Food Inc. we've been changing how our family eats. Our kids attend a school that the principal wouldn't allow them to walk our ride their bikes to school. I got that fixed by getting our councilwoman to put in a side walk now I've got to start on the horrific menu. French toast stix loaded with syrup and chocolate milk for breakfast.  NO FRUIT!!!!! We are in Mississippi, the #2 fatest state in the US. It would be great if you came here next!!

Likes (0)

#27 Thu 25 Mar 10 2:44pm

The Real McCoy

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I am now a fan after seeing the show on Sunday.  My daughter, who is 13, watched with me and she will now take a lunch to school.  She wouldn't before because she thought it was dorky.  I totally support this revolution.  The one thing I would add is that it's not just about living a longer life but a better quality of life.  Living a long life is not that exciting unless it's a good life.  Fueling your body with what it uses best will make you feel the best you can.  An added bonus is you look better also and that just boosts your self-esteem.  I am so excited to see change for the better in the USA.

Likes (0)

#28 Thu 25 Mar 10 4:26pm

SilverUnicorn

I just hope the whole country not only watches...But actually pays attention!  People think they're invincible.  How many smokers know the consequences but still smoke?  There are those of us who will learn from this and do better...And then there are those who still won't care.  It's their children I fear for.  I started my own revolution when my husband was told he could either change his eating and exercise habits, or die probably before seeing 50.  We went home that day and cleaned out the fridge and pantry and we haven't looked back since.  What I don't understand are our friends.  There are several couples where at least one has been told their cholesterol, sodium, weight, etc is way too high and they're at risk.  The answer is almost always the same...They just don't have time to prepare better foods or workout.  I'm always like REALLY???  You'd rather die than make the time to get healthy?  Sounds pretty crazy to me!

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 25 Mar 10 5:25pm

mbenton

I am Food Service Director for a small district in Turlock, Ca. We pride ourselves on making home cooked meals for our students daily. We have a free and reduced rate of about 80% so much of our funding is governmental. Of course the budgets are being slashed but i have found it to be more cost effective create meals that are healthy rather to buy processed foods that are not. I still downloaded all info possible from Jaime's food revolution because all advice helps. My program is not perfect but we are working to expand it too schools that substandard lunches but again with the budget situation it is always a continuing challenge.

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 25 Mar 10 6:10pm

Jerichogirl

The Food Revolution has started.
I will be an avid supporter and tell everyone I know how great this show is.
The lunch lady's are mean and fat! Just like the Lunch Ladies who served sludge at my school. I think that people who are active and eat whole foods are more tolerant and easy going in general. The lunch ladies have no tolerance nor do they want any change, even if it is for the better.
Your body is your temple!!!!!

Likes (0)