forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Mon 22 Mar 10 5:23pm

ives

Member since Tue 10 Feb 09

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

We all have to do our share to make the food revolution a global movement. Being aware of what we eat and what our families and friends eat every day is a big step. It's a difficult process--changing the cafeteria system and the fast food culture. But every successful campaign begins with people spreading the word and acting collectively.

Also, it's not just being aware of how bad or unhealthy the food some of us are eating, but ultimately knowing that there are places where hunger is real.

Likes (0)

#32 Mon 22 Mar 10 6:47pm

megrey

Member since Mon 22 Mar 10

I watched Jamie's show last night and was so incredibly saddened, moved, angered, and otherwise frustrated by the state of our Country's health.  The resistence to (and often outright hostility toward) Jamie's efforts, is nothing more than a cry for help!  I've read some comments from folks who watched the show and argued that offering chicken along side pizza was the core problem, e.g. "what kid wouldn't choose pizza over chicken?"  My question is "why do kids choose pizza over chicken?"  The first question doesn't get us past this national crisis; rather, it supports it.  Injecting Jamie and his knowledge, experience and skills into America's schools and kitchens provides the opportunity for our entire nation to radically move toward a culture of health.  Who can't see that we are killing ourselves and, worse, our kids?  Jamie, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Megan

Likes (0)

#33 Tue 23 Mar 10 3:03am

pattycakes

Occupation stay at home mum
From Montreal, Canada
Member since Tue 23 Mar 10

Congratulations Jamie, you have done it again. My kids and I just watched your new show in the USA. Why has no American chef never thought of doing this? You truly are an inspiation! Your show prompted much discussion in our family, how can people be so unaware that this way of eating is killing their kids? Our family eats dinner every evening together with a meal that I have cooked made from fresh ingredients not ready made. Our children are our future and if they don't eat well, how will they grow up to care about themselves and others. Information on nutrition is all around us and fresh produce is readily available everywhere. Here in Canada we benefit from being close to many markets and have access to great fruit and vegetables all year even though we have hard winters. Keep up the good work and spreading the word of good nutrition and cooking for your children is the greatest gift you can give them.

Likes (0)

#34 Tue 23 Mar 10 4:25pm

scoobyq

Congratulations to a successful launch of Food Revolution! Here in Cincinnati, OH your show was rudely interrupted by a special news report about the socialized health care vote. We have been loyal fans of Jamie's since his Naked Chef days (we hated the name, too, Jamie). I've signed the petition and have made a post on my Facebook account to help spread the word.

I remember reading about what Jamie Oliver did for the school lunch program in the UK and saying we need someone to do that here. It figures Jamie himself is starting a grass roots movement here. Thank you, everyone, for being involved in this project! I am sure it wasn't easy or pleasant for Jamie and his crew to leave their homes and families for this daunting mission. We applaud and truly appreciate all of your efforts.

Likes (0)

#35 Tue 23 Mar 10 4:46pm

rpbaader

I loved the show, I loved it, I loved it.
    So many true facts, food service industry take note. government agencies take note. You got to respect those lunch ladies, its hard to watch them get so upset. We all know they are trying there best, with what they have. Jamie, right on with so many comments. Gloves, bacteria's home of choice. What did happen to washing your hands ? Why aren't we teaching people old school sanitation. I have been in the food industry my whole life. I was jumping out of my seat with all your comments on the show. How did we get to processed frozen crap for food. I come from a poverty school district so they tell us. So our food in our school is frozen processed What ? I ask myself is it because we have been labeled poverty school ? I have been trying for many years to change the minds of school officials. Its hard to do. I hear from parents "we will pay more if the food is good". How lazy are we getting in this society. Come to Wisconsin we need help too. The home of Beer and Cheese,
where we should be able to do more.   Augusta, WI

Likes (0)

#36 Tue 23 Mar 10 5:35pm

dcampo

Hurray for Jamie!  To expose school lunches and their "dirty little secrets" is MAJOR.  I always pack my children's lunches because I know what a joke school lunches are, but so many people don't.  And while I understand the defensive attitude of the cafateria cooks, I also wish they could be more receptive to someone who is trying to help (i.e., the mother who wants to learn how to feed her family healthy food).  It seems to me their attitude is only reinforcing preconceived notions.  As a healthy eater and cook, I know the frustrations of trying to convince others about healthy eating.  Some are receptive and other will never be.  I'll be tuning in to see how it turns out!  THANKS JAMIE -- keep up the good works!!

Likes (0)

#37 Tue 23 Mar 10 7:01pm

tamarasart

Occupation BSC
From Minnesota USA

Jamie thank you for bringing the revolution of food to America. We have followed you religiously throughout your career and what you did in England.
I moved my mother in with me 5 1/2 years ago when I bought a home. We have fully transformed the yard with water wise flowers and shrubs, huge vegetable garden, and sustanible blueberry, raspberry, strawberries, rhubarb, and a cherry tree. We can and freeze everything that cannot be eaten fresh so that we can sustain ourselves without running to the grocery store constantly. The home is on less than a 1/4 acre lot and we can a lot of our own procude and supplement what we cannot produce enough of by going to the St Paul Farmer's Market that only allows food to be sold from a 50-75 mile radius from that market. The fresh vegetables, fruits and meats made available that are properly grown are giving me more hope for our society.
Although I am disheartened when I see the slop that my nieces are being feed at their school in Savage MN. This pre-packaged and re-warmed food from some other school that is dropped off for these lunches is disgusting. The amount of carbs that the kids are feed is ridiculous. Why can't these schools utilize some of the fresh grown and raised food from the area and stop using mass produced food and prepackaged with all of the ingredients that no one has any idea what they are!?
I grew up on a dairy farm and my parents taught us from little on how to raise animals, butcher, and grow our own vegetables. I have cooked in restaurants while in college and continue to enjoy cooking and sharing the joy of cooking with family and friends and sharing canned/frozen goods that we have put up for the season.
I have been talking with everyone where I work which is a huge mtg company about the changes that you are trying to make and hoping that people sign up and help support this change that you are trying to make.
I do hope that some of the small steps that my small homestead is trying to make with my nieces will be lasting life long memories as at least one of them is very interested in the growing of fruits and vegetables and cooking/baking. Understanding where the food comes from and making food with grandma and auntie. We are also home bread bakers so that interest is being shared as well and the kids love to get in the kitchen and help.
Keep up the great work!!!!
Your Jamie at Home Series on the food network and that book - OUTSTANDING!!!!! clap

Last edited by tamarasart (Tue 23 Mar 10 7:15pm)

Likes (0)

#38 Tue 23 Mar 10 7:19pm

shellyandrade

Hi Jamie -

I am so excited about your new show!  Many parents in our school district have complained for years about the junk that's fed to our children, but I have to admit, I've never done anything except grumble about it.

I would love to be part of the solution instead of contributing to the problem.  Besides donating, what can I do to facilitate changes in our school's lunch program?

Also... have you considered visiting any schools in Hawaii?  My husband and I are very concerned about friends and family members there.

Many, many Mahalos!!

Kalei and Shelly Andrade   thumbsup
Byron Center, Michigan

Last edited by shellyandrade (Tue 23 Mar 10 7:20pm)

Likes (0)

#39 Wed 24 Mar 10 12:10am

vegasty

I actually awoke at 4am and could not go back to sleep thinking about my 7yr old daughters school lunches.  I think it gets down to educating our kids, i told her what goes into a chicken nugget and she was totally grossed out.  She said she would definitely eat the chicken if she had a choice because she knows its good for her. I agree with an earlier post, kids like apples cut up, heck so do i, give the kids sliced apples, they'll eat them. Overall its sad what is happening at school with lunch, we both vowed last night that we will be shopping this weekend for a lunch box, ice packs and ideas for healthy take to school lunches. I hope some of you super mums will start a new forum topic for us single dads on ideas for a good cold lunches.  get rid of the strawberry and chocolate milk, as well as the capri sun.
our schools healthy-e living march menu.
just a few, these are all packaged food items
capri sun
corn dogs
bagel dog
double dogs
chile cheese dog
pancake and sausage for early days
french bread pizza
cheese pizza

Likes (0)

#40 Wed 24 Mar 10 3:30am

Schkspeare

Member since Sat 02 Jan 10

I absolutely love what Jamie is trying to accomplish for the USA and the UK.  I grew up in New York and I remember the school lunches, horrible!!  Change is so very hard for so many of us Americans to accept let alone embrace.  I was angry for Jamie when I watched the premier of this show and that narrow minded radio host started to just brow beat him for trying to change things.  Jamie, you are a hero to healthier eating, not just for schools but for us all.  Because of watching your Jamie at home series, I started growing my own veggies in my back yard successfully.  I'm so excited for this up and coming growing season and the return of the farmers markets with all the fresh produce!  Food tastes so much better when it's fresh and not processed.  I even started making my own breads (tastes way better, I recommend everyone try). I have join your revolution and I plan on spreading the word.  Keep up the fantastic work, you have definitely inspired this American to eat and live better!!

Likes (0)