Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 18 Apr 10 2:35am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

IS A HEALTHY FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST POSSIBLE?

With alternatives replacing the fried stuff etc can it be done?

Fried slice, bacon, fried egg, sausage, black pudding, fried mushrooms, fried tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, brown sauce, hash brown, crump@t etc etc
YumYum

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Apr 10 2:56am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Re: IS A HEALTHY FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST POSSIBLE?

just a little note Terry, would you mind not titling your threads with ALL CAPS? - there's no need to shout!

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 18 Apr 10 3:36am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Don't substitute anything!
Keep it full of wonderful tradition and just eat it now and then. Especially after a weekend bushwalking!
smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 18 Apr 10 10:23am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Toast, grilled bacon, tomato and black pudding. Scrambled egg. Beans..Tomato ketchup.

Bacon, beans and Egg = protein

Black pudding = Iron

Ketchup = source of lycopene..good for the prostate

Tomato = 1 of your 5 a day

How healthy is that?

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 18 Apr 10 10:49am

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

I fry my eggs in a trace of olive oil in a good non-stick pan...they are not greasy at all.
I cook my bacon in my sandwich maker...it ends up with les fat than it started with.
I love fried bread but its just a sponge for fat...so I've started putting two slices back to back in the sandwichmaker after the bacon has cooked. Only the outside surfaces get crispy and when I make a bacon sanwich I flip the surfaces so the crispy surfaces are inside the sandwich...mmm, these are really very nice bacon sanwiches thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 18 Apr 10 10:50am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

When I make a full Tasmanian I use a little spray oil and a non stick pan.

I cut all the fat off the bacon and then meal turns out lovely and not fatty or greasy.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 18 Apr 10 11:01am

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

I watched 4 Weddings and a Funeral in a German cinema, years ago.
The opening scene shows the friends getting ready for a wedding whilst breakfast is cooking...a big greasy pan of bacon and eggs.
When the camera panned over the stove there was a universal "Uuurrggghh" of disgust from the mainly-German audience. Just as I was thinking it looked quite tasty lol  lol

I have frequently made English-style breakfasts for even German guests and they are usually fine about it as long as the food isn't dripping in lard lol

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 18 Apr 10 11:07am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

TerryKay wrote:

With alternatives replacing the fried stuff etc can it be done?

Fried slice, bacon, fried egg, sausage, black pudding, fried mushrooms, fried tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, brown sauce, hash brown, crump@t etc etc
YumYum

Hi Terry - have you got one of those grill trays that go in your oven, so, the bacon can drip down into a shallow pan under the grill element?....plus, all your other brekky food items, can be grilled (like, Wine~o, said!) or oven baked, too!

Poaching your eggs, is a healthier way of cooking as well & yummy too   yummy  with hot black sauce/worcester/worcestershire sauce!

We can buy "lite" tomato sauce here in, N.Z., too!

Enjoy your English Breakfast!mmmmmm!.....called Kiwi Big Breakfast over here!

Cheers!  smile

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Sun 18 Apr 10 11:21am)

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 18 Apr 10 11:32am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Grilled field/portobello mushrooms, with grilled bacon, grilled sausages (and if you buy them from the butcher, then they won't be so fatty anyway  wink  ), grilled tomato, black pudding does under the grill if you like, baked beans - you could make your own, Jamie has a wicked recipe in JAH - and topped off with a poached egg.  If you really want fried bread rather than toast, then thinly spread the bread on both sides with some softened butter, and put it straight into a hot frying pan that has no oil  wink

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 18 Apr 10 11:54am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

How about cooking the bacon and sausages up on a rack in the oven to drip out the fat? Other ingredients go in the oven on flat trays, even oven the lightly buttered toast, and tomatoes, mushrooms etc.
Microwave the beans in individual serves and poach the eggs.

Sometimes we even do this for dinner.
Still very tasty and crispy but loads less fat.

Likes (0)