forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 30 Apr 10 7:28pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

recipe for 'chinese take-away' style curry sauce?? anyone?

Just wondered if anyone could help with the above..I have successfully re-created most of the chinese take-away style foods at home, but this seems to evade me.

Ps know I could 'Google' it but that's just downright cheating....and you lot are far better than 'Google' anyway.. big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 01 May 10 2:25pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: recipe for 'chinese take-away' style curry sauce?? anyone?

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24452

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … pid=226554

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27281

Good old Geoff.  The link at the end of the first thread looks promising, too.  Hope that helps.

Last edited by Anna (Sat 01 May 10 5:17pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 01 May 10 3:52pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

I love that gorgeous chinese shop sauce. I suspect the addition of lots of MSG but don't mind. It seems to by like trying to match the ingredients for pie 'n' mash liquor. Easier to find the holy grail. Some of the shops themselves haven't figured it out. I watch this space with eager anticipation. crossed

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#4 Sat 01 May 10 4:01pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Chinese take away curry sauce and chip shop curry sauce are about as simular as chilli sauce and horseradish sauce.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#5 Sat 01 May 10 7:04pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Thanks Anna ..will give it a go crossed

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 01 May 10 7:35pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Let us know how it turns out.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 03 May 10 2:48pm

bestyt

From Tenerife, Canary Islands
Member since Sun 02 May 10

If you just want to buy an excellent curry sauce powder, i can highly recommend this one. Mayflower Curry Sauce Mix Original. I live in Tenerife and managed to find this in our local Iceland supermarket. I think it's by far the closest curry sauce mix available to the real Chinese takeaway curries. Brilliant. Ive tried dozens of different sauce mixes in the past, but this ine tops the lot. Unfortunately, i was unable to find it in Uk Icelands, only here in Tenerife.  I shall be moving back to the Uk in the near future, so will definately be ordering some for myself. Everyone that i have cooked a curry for using this powder has agreed with me, and even friends and family have taken cartons of the sauce back with them while they have been here visiting.
The following website though sells it online.
king-asia.co.uk/shop.asp?subcategid=6
Try it, you will be well impressed
Tim

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 12 Jun 10 11:54am

strats

Member since Sun 11 Apr 10

I have found that Yeungs Brand is the closest to an "Authentic" Chinese curry sauce. I order mine from a local wholesaler but have seen them quite often in butchers shops they are in a red and yellow packet. I find that the addition of chilli powder or cayenne pepper if you like it a bit hotter. lol

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 16 Jun 10 12:14pm

2050stephanie

Member since Wed 16 Jun 10

The most authentic chinese take away curry paste I have found is Wing Yip Curry Concentrate paste.  You can buy this from Wing Yip of course but I have also found Sainsburys have this in their World Foods section.  It tasted exactly like the take away version and all you need to add is 3-4 parts water to 1 part paste - you can add coconut milk but I find water is perfect and a lot less calories!
Wing Yip do have an online shop but you have to check if they delivery to your area - sorry, I can't paste the link to the product in the shop as I am a newbie to the forum!

Hope this helps! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 26 Oct 10 3:26pm

Mr.Angeleyes

Occupation Office manager
From Surrey
Member since Tue 26 Oct 10

Oh how I wish I hadn't started reading this....I'm at least 4 hours away from a meal!!!

Likes (0)