forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 28 May 10 1:37pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

What are you reading now?

Any good books to share?  Presently I am reading "World Without End" after having read "Pillars of the Earth" both by Ken Follett.  It's unbearably good and I'm having a hard time putting it down.

What are you reading, and is it any good?

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 28 May 10 1:41pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

Re: What are you reading now?

I'm an avid reader.  I recently finished "Sarah's Key " which was amazing.  Very moving book.  I also just finished up "A Reliable Wife" and it was good.  "Songs of the Humpback Whale" by Jodi Picoult was good.  Well, everything by her is good! The last book I finished was "Tell No One" by Harlan Coben.  He writes great suspense novels.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 28 May 10 1:58pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Right now, I'm reading Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (the 4th book in the Outlander series).  I'm totally addicted to this series, which is saying something because I normally don't read series, or if I do, I don't tend to read them in order.  LOL 
The Outlander series is a historical fiction series of books.  The first one starts out in the 1940s in Scotland and an English woman goes to a stone circle, puts her hand on one of the stones and is transported to 200 years earlier.  Each book is set in a different place - the first one was in Scotland, second mostly in France, the one I'm reading now is in America (but in the 1760s). 

Before I started the Outlander series, I read Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.  That was good, though a little depressing.  It's about a friendship between two women over a few decades, basically.  The end is depressing, as I said, but overall, it was a good book.  wink 

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is great, too.  It's about a Southern Baptist family from Georgia that moves as missionaries to the Congo in the 1960s and everything that happens to them during that time period.

Edited to add more info about each book.   wink

Last edited by mommyof2nc (Mon 31 May 10 3:03am)

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 28 May 10 2:22pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I'm reading The Encychopedia of Popular World Religions."

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 28 May 10 2:31pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

The Hobbit.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 28 May 10 2:49pm

danthemackem

From Sunderland, UK
Member since Mon 06 Jul 09

I've just finished reading 'The Death of a Mafia Don' by Michele Giuttari. It's the third in a series of books about Chief Superintendent Michele Ferrara Head of the Florence Squadra Mobile. It wasn't as good as the previous books but still enjoyable to read.

I also quite like travel writing, especially one's about food. So to answer the original post I'm currently reading 'Everything But the Squeal: A Year of Pigging Out in Northern Spain' by John Barlow

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 28 May 10 5:39pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

Pierre Berton's The last Spike.    This is book 2, just got done the first book, The National dream-the building of the canadian railroad in the late 1800's.  I like to read history books, he is my fav author.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 28 May 10 7:56pm

samlloyd

Member since Fri 28 May 10

I am actually in Spain now on hols, reading Jon Barlow's EVERYTHING BUT THE SQUEAL. It is really funny and informative. highly recomend it!

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 28 May 10 8:26pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Harry Potter...again...and the latest Gas bill shocked

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 28 May 10 9:48pm

Hanicka