Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 10 Jun 10 5:28pm

vlc123

From my couch or my kitchen
Member since Sun 29 Jul 07

My Purple Basil Plant is ...unhappy

help

Greeting All.
I'm so excited for this gardening forum. Thanks Jamie's Team for creating it.
So, I have a small balcony container garden, and each year I grow several different herbs. This year I found a purple basil plant at the local nursery and decided to give it a try. I've only just planted it (about two weeks ago), but it is not a happy grower. I can't tell if it's getting too much water, or too much sunlight, or if it's just simply not a hardy plant for container growing. Also, I live on the 5th floor - facing East so it may be a wind issue.
I've tried moving it and varying the water but it still seems to droop and wilt for some leaves, and just dry and shrivel for other leaves. Could it be repotting stress? I haven't pinched any leaves off yet, and only one has actually dried and fallen off on its own.
Any suggestions?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 10 Jun 10 5:31pm

vlc123

Re: My Purple Basil Plant is ...unhappy

correction; 15th floor (much more windy than the 5th)

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 10 Jun 10 5:42pm

Squidgy

Occupation Police
From London - An exiled Boltonian
Member since Fri 03 Jul 09

I'm growing some from seed this year as opposed to just the sweet green version.

It can withstand  sun most of the day but (providing it is hydrated accordingly), like you say, there may be an issue with the wind somehow dehydrating or damaging the leaves.

Not sure if it is an option, but you might want to try alternating a few days behind glass and outdoors. If it is wind then you should see it perk up.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 10 Jun 10 5:59pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Did you plant it in a potting mix? If the plant doesn't have good drainage, it will wilt quite quickly.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 10 Jun 10 6:11pm

rhianna899

Forum champ
Member since Mon 02 Feb 09

I only managed to grow basil successfully for the first time this year, I've kept it indoors on a sunny windowsill, I water every other day and feed it once a month, it's flourishing. This isn't purple basil though, where abouts are you in the world? I'm in the UK and I've never managed to grow basil outdoors successfully. I would try moving it indoors and see if that helps  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 10 Jun 10 6:15pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Mine is on an east-facing balcony that gets quite windy.  Seems to be doing fine!  What size pot is it in?  As soon as I planted mine in a bigger pot (15 liters) it took off and is quite sturdy now, compared to the feeble creature it was in the small pot.  I water every three days, just enough to moisten, as I believe basil prefers to be on the dry side.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 10 Jun 10 10:46pm

vlc123

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies.
So, this is the only herb I've ever had problems with. Normally my only problem is eating them quickly enough! smile Especially my other basils- they always grow super super quick.
To answer some of your questions, I did plant in a potting mix, in a plastic pot, with good drainage. I've tried alternating behind glass and outdoors. I haven't been watering it too much, but (I forgot to mention this before) it has been very rainy here and the soil has been kept quite moist.  It's also been somewhat cool since i planted - mid teens to twenties (celcius). (I'm in Canada) Which I don't think is THAT cool for these plants, but as I mentioned, I've never grown purple basil before and am uncertain of it's hardiness. All my other herbs are growing like crazy already (except the mint, which is a little strange since normally the mint is a monster grower)
Thanks everone for your advice. I moved it again two days ago. Will see how it fairs and let you all know.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 11 Jun 10 5:31am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

This might be useful:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2311171_grow-purple-basil.html
I read that purple basil needs more light than green. If it has been raining a lot it might be best if the pot is raised (if it isn't already!).
Good luck!

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 11 Jun 10 6:20am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I have been granted(??) a red basil plant by a friend but never used it yet ........I must get aquaited with it first ............I'm so shy with new plants  wink  lol

good morning Joy it's six a.m here and I'm going to water my orto wave

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 11 Jun 10 8:32am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Good morning dear Mada! Have a lovely day!
And hello to your orto from me! smile

Likes (0)