Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 28 Jun 10 2:42pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Do you compost?

Hi everyone,

This weeks voting question is whether or not you compost? I have heard that "worm wee" is a great natural fertilizer and that this can be collected from your wormery. Any thoughts on this? What are your tips for composting? Anyone care to write an article about this for our gardening section? Go on - you know you want to.....

Cheers

Danny

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 28 Jun 10 2:55pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Re: Do you compost?

We compost.  It's especially important to do in this area of the US, as we have very heavy clay soil and need to add lots of organic matter to it in order to grow healthy plants.  smile 

We actually have 2 side-by-side bins my husband made out of leftover lumber.  We put dead leaves, vegetable matter, smaller yard clippings, egg shells, used coffee grounds, used tea bags and sometimes grass clippings in one until it's half full.  You can also add fruits to compost but we don't because fruit attracts opossums and we have enough of those around already.  LOL Never put any meat products in, as that will attract any predatory animals that are in your area.  We turn it about once a week by shoveling everything out of the one that's full and putting it into the empty one.  The more often you turn it, the faster it'll break down. 

When we first started our compost pile, we also added a little powdered lime and a container of red worms to it and now we have worms all over our yard.  Every time we put our shovels in the dirt, we get at least one worm.   cool

Oh, and if it hasn't rained in awhile, we add a little water to it, as it needs some moisture in order to break down.  Don't over-water it - it just needs to be damp.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 28 Jun 10 3:01pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Hi Danny, yes I compost I have 3 bins on the go,

1 - maturing well

2 - being added to - grass cuttings / veg peelings ( not potatoes ) tea bags etc.

3 - leaf mould - nearly empty, we have 3 large silver birch trees which make the most wonderful leaf mould.

I would love a wormery, but hubby says no  sad , I am thinking of quietly adding one behind the GH he will never see it there  tongue .

At the moment I make the most smelly feed with comfrey the tomatoes and chillies love it.

Gem

Editing to add - to start a new compost, get hubby to spend a penny in it   big_smile

Last edited by Earthmum (Mon 28 Jun 10 3:03pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 28 Jun 10 3:11pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

We don't compost but have wanted to for 2 years.  I have to say, the cost of compost bins, good ones that you don't have to stir around yourself, is a deterrent at this point.  I'm eventually going to start composting but right now we aren't.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 28 Jun 10 3:14pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

The Town hall supplied us all with gardens composters about 10/12 yrs ago. We've been using it ever since.

Danny wrote:

Hi everyone,

This weeks voting question is whether or not you compost? I have heard that "worm wee" is a great natural fertilizer and that this can be collected from your wormery. Any thoughts on this? What are your tips for composting? Anyone care to write an article about this for our gardening section? Go on - you know you want to.....

Cheers

Danny

Theres a few things that many of us want to do but for quite some time now, cant...as not being able to load pics on the blogs and gardening section, and somtimes not being to enter the blog section at all. In which case we are slowly getting used to the fact that its just useless time wasted in trying.

*rant over

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 28 Jun 10 3:16pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Yes, and it's one of the best decisions we've ever made.  We started when we first moved here and someone got us a composting box for a housewarming gift.
When we had chickens, that compost sung! smile

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 28 Jun 10 4:02pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We don't have a good spot for compost in this little property, but we have done this in a modest way by chopping up leaves in fall and using them as a mulch.  Leaf compost is great for clay soil.  I have a friend who has thousands of worms making compost for him.  I'm not sure if I could handle how ugly they are, but they do make great compost.

eta:  John Jeavons has done years of research on gardening in small spaces to produce food with the minimum impact on the environment.  His method includes growing some plants that are used for compost because they add the most benefits to the compost.  It's a bit technical, but if you are interested in how to make the most of your sunny vegetable plot, check out his website.

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 28 Jun 10 4:05pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 28 Jun 10 5:00pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

We have a regional compost progam. Our organic "green box" is picked up at the curb weekly with our "blue box" recycle materials.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 28 Jun 10 7:00pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

I wish I could, Greece is way back compost-wise smile

Maybe you know any good sites I could maybe buy some compost bins(with low shipping-prices.....)? I guess composting is not that easy for uni students.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 29 Jun 10 12:58am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have 2 compost bins, both sat next to each other and standing on soil.
One is in use for this year and the second is maturing ready to be spread on the garden in the autumn if it has matured enough.

It amazes me how the compost bin is a veg waste eating monster, the more you 'feed' it the more it seems to take !

As for worms, well they just seem to appear , I have never added then but the compost is rich with worms.
Last year , due to the rotten weather , I had a half bag of potting compost left in the garden , by the spring it was full of small and large worms so I tipped in into my compost bin , thinking ..every little helps !

The warm weather that we are having at the moment has speeded up the compost and this year it is busy reducing fast.

Likes (0)