forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Fri 09 Jul 10 2:56am

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

Re: Do you compost?

SonomaEddie wrote:

Yes, and it's one of the best decisions we've ever made.  We started when we first moved here and someone got us a composting box for a housewarming gift.
When we had chickens, that compost sung! smile

I so agree with the chickens, they make the compost amazing.  As soon as we put compost on our plants they were almost double in size in a couple of days.  We don't have a traditional compost, but we have its works.  I love it and recommend it to everyone who gardens.  If you can't make your own try to buy some, its wonderful. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 25 Nov 12 8:01pm

mbc

Member since Sun 25 Nov 12

Hello..Everyone...I found some good tumbling composters if you want to know let me know

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 09 Dec 12 10:49am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I now have one empty composter as the contents were spread out on the garden a few weeks ago , I was pretty impressed with what came out f the composter it looked like it was really good quality , and apart fro the odd egg shell that had not broken down no one could ever tell that it was made by the family.

We are now filling the empty composter with vegetable peelings ,etc but no cooked foods or kitchen scraps as these go into the food waste that is collected by the local council and turned into compost in a heated chamber system , I think this then gets used by the local parks and gardens department.

I have 2 composters , one is used always and the is being rested for the year whilst the contets get ready to be spread onto the garden in a years time.
We have been using this system for a number of years.

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 10 Dec 12 1:58am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I have a two on/two off system in operation in the garden............two full bins ready for emptying, two bins being turned & in varying stages of decomposition (& another that is empty, but starting to be filled)

Likes (0)