Subscribe to forums RSS

#281 Thu 29 Jul 10 8:02pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Risotto

Hmmmm Mediterranian meets Southwest.  Who's going to try it first?
I guess it's been done already when Spain invaded Mexico.

Likes (0)

#282 Fri 30 Jul 10 7:21pm

Matine

Member since Thu 29 Jul 10

Hello, Eddie and everyone!

I’m preparing a Mexican risotto recipe, but meanwhile, what about some delicious “red chilaquiles with chicken”? In Mexico we have this dish for breakfast, but of course it could very well do for a Mexican lunch.

Chilaquiles is a sort of top-of-the-stove tortilla casserole. In its simplest form, it consists of a freshly made salsa into which you stir fried tortillas. So basically is all about making enough salsa (red or green depending on the tomatoes) as to be able to literally sink the tortillas (lets say 8), toasted and coarsely broken up (or 2 cups baked tortilla chips), as well as 2 cups of chicken breast, poached and shredded.

For the salsa, you will be needing: 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes; 1 jalapeño chile, or 2 serranos (seeded for a milder sauce and chopped); 1/4 cup chopped onion (soaked for a few minutes in cold water, drained and rinsed); 2 garlic cloves (halved, green shoots removed); 1 tablespoon canola oil; 1/2 to 1 cup water, chicken or vegetable stock, as needed, and salt to taste.

The idea then is to combine the tomatoes, chiles, chopped onion and garlic in a blender, and blend until coarsely pureed. After that: Heat the oil in a large, heavy nonstick skillet or a wide saucepan over medium-high heat, and add a drop of the puree. It should sizzle. Add all of the tomato puree, and cook, stirring, for about five to ten minutes, until the sauce darkens, thickens and begins to stick to the pan. Add water or stock if the mixture seems dry, and season to taste with salt. Turn the heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, for about 15 minutes, until the sauce coats the front and back of a spoon. Taste and adjust salt.

Stir in the chicken and heat through. Stir in the tortilla chips or pieces, stir together for a half minute, and remove from the heat. At the end spinkle some cheese (1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese), 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, and some rings of red onion.

Serve this right after you’ve stirred in the tortilla chips, because if they’re not fried, they will quickly become soggy. Enjoy!

Maria

Likes (0)

#283 Fri 30 Jul 10 8:05pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I love chilequiles!  Never had them with chicken, though.I make mine with eggs, salsa, chips and cheese.  I'm sure there are many ways of preparing it, though.  thanks for sharing the recipe.  I'm guessing alot of people have never tried them.
Your recipe looks very good.

Likes (0)

#284 Fri 30 Jul 10 8:13pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

I had this every morning for breakfast when I was in Mazatlan. It's wonderful!

Likes (0)

#285 Fri 30 Jul 10 8:19pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

SonomaEddie wrote:

I love chilequiles!  Never had them with chicken, though.I make mine with eggs, salsa, chips and cheese.  I'm sure there are many ways of preparing it, though.  thanks for sharing the recipe.  I'm guessing alot of people have never tried them.

Probably as many recipes for chilequiles as there are are for Risotto...

oh no...I feel another 29+ page thread coming on..... mad

Likes (0)

#286 Thu 05 Aug 10 7:35pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

wine~o wrote:

SonomaEddie wrote:

I had only tried it made with tomatillo salsa.

Likes (0)

#287 Thu 05 Aug 10 8:35pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

wine~o wrote:

SonomaEddie wrote:

lol  roll  shocked  lol

Likes (0)

#288 Thu 12 Aug 10 10:58am

lynnej

Occupation Web Designer
From Netherlands
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

I believe it was it was someone on this thread that mentioned that you make patties from  left over risotto. I tried this yesterday using left over wild mushroom risotto which I formed into patties, dredged with a bit of flour then fried in chilli and garlic infused olive oil. They were really nice, golden and crispy on the outside and moist and flavourful on the inside. Thanks for the tip!

And yes I do realize that I just brought this thread back to life wink

Likes (0)

#289 Thu 12 Aug 10 11:04am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Yum yum I want some!
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#290 Mon 18 Oct 10 6:26pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

slbeckett wrote:

All'onda..  this is the big league getting the first two right and getting the texture of the risotto right as well..It should be loose enough  that when you tip the plate a wave like pattern appears on the surface.  Too loose and it just runs , to tight it  is paste  but perfect you see the waves  cool  cool  cool  cool

I have never realized this before, thank you! I have been serving my risotto too thick...never again!

Well, I finally made risotto again and added a little extra stock so it formed a "wave." It was perfect!!!!!! Thank you!

Likes (0)