forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 19 Aug 10 10:57am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Re: The plastic bag...do you still pick them up ?

two hanful of trachanas  made soft in lukewarm water for 1 kg flour, with this dense batter we start making bread. The secret is to maintain the same temperature during the whole procedure.
The recipe could be simpler to make "flower bread" but with trachanas the taste which is left is buonissimo/ very very good

this translation is for the deer/avatar/forumer I will never remember the name .. only the wonderful hop pic he has sent

wave big_smile

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 19 Aug 10 11:57am

heather6169

Occupation Mum, Nanna, Wife and Fundraiser
From South Penrith, Australia
Member since Fri 11 Jun 10

I do use the green bags but do sometimes forget them. When we have plastic bags we make sure they get more than one use and dispose correctly. However I would like to point out that although the supposed green environmentally friendly bags are useful and can be washed and reused, they are made up of more petrochemicals than a normal plastic bag and actually take far longer to break down than plastic ones. Most places are now using the cornstarch bio degradable bags now even if you have to pay i feel that these are a far better alternative.

cheers Heather smile

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 19 Aug 10 12:12pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

you can cut up all your plastic bags into strips and then knit them into bigger and stronger shopping totes. There's loads of tutorials on the net on how to do this.

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 19 Aug 10 12:16pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

I have heard that too Heather.

Likes (0)

#25 Tue 24 Aug 10 11:50pm

whitedog

Forum champ
Occupation striving to be a better human
From america
Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

I use the bags outside to pck up garbage along the streets and outside my building.

If I acted like your daughter at my building, Denise, I'd be crucified quick. As I have been for trying to rescue dogs that cry insessantly, children that were crying for three hours whose parents were eventually evicted for ahving parties where there were shootings, and growing flowers...The Nerve!  So to insist on recycling would be unthinkbale but I do take my stuff down the street to others bins or to the parking lot next door to their recycling dumpster.

I am in the minority I know but I think in not so horrendous piles nature likes waterproof things like plastic bags and I think of the microbes and insects I'm disturbing when I pick up anything on the side of the road or anywhere it may be. Especially if it has water in it or juice, it may be someones favorite drink. Fanatisism can come in any kind of package, no matter what the motive.  cool  wink  smile

Last edited by whitedog (Wed 25 Aug 10 11:18pm)

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 25 Aug 10 12:17am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

SonomaEddie wrote:

I always try to remember to take my totes into the store with me.  We keep the car loaded with them.  The only thing I really use plastic bags for is cleaning out the cat box and picking up after Gianni when we're in the park.

I have plastic bags, yes.  For cleaning up after the dogs and wastebasket liners.  Or for wet/slippery stuff (like veggie peelings).  What we don't reuse, I take to the store for recycling. 

I notice that some places have reminders to recycle printed on the bags.  clap

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 25 Aug 10 12:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

DebDiMaggio wrote:

you can cut up all your plastic bags into strips and then knit them into bigger and stronger shopping totes. There's loads of tutorials on the net on how to do this.

I have not tried this . but one year the children at school decorated a Christmas tree with pom-poms that they had made from strips of recycled plastic bags.
It looked very effective.
(But the pom-pom that caused the most discussion was the one they had made out of bits of bubble wrap )

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 25 Aug 10 12:39pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

The biodegradable bags are becoming more common , but they still contain a fair amount of plastic in them.
As far as I know , from what I have read , these bags cause a different problem to the environment.
They do breakdown but  leave behind what is referred to a 'Plastic soup' as these microscopic particles still pollute the environment and ,(I understand)  threaten the life of things at the bottom of the food chain.
I have also been told that, if the biodegradable bags get mixed with other plastics  and bags ,that are being recycled this also causes a problem.

Last edited by mummza (Wed 25 Aug 10 12:40pm)

Likes (0)

#29 Wed 25 Aug 10 12:57pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Take a look into something called the great pacific garbage patch..

Basically a  place in the middle of the pacific ocean where the ocean currents and winds form what is calld a gyre.  It is a very large whirlpool that collects plastic  in the center of the pacific, the patch  of floating plastic  is about the size of texas.  It isn't solid but more like the consistency of minestrone soup.  puke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLrVCI4N67M

Greenpeace estimates that 10% of all plastic manufactured every year ends up floating  in the oceans

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-gre … -patch.htm

Last edited by Ashen (Wed 25 Aug 10 12:58pm)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#30 Wed 25 Aug 10 1:01pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Its scary isn't it Ashen , it is shown in the link that I put up initially around the 3rd minute and is what prompted me to make the post.

Likes (0)