Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 14 Sep 10 12:49pm

MichTWheeler

Occupation Gardener RHS trained
From New Forest
Member since Tue 14 Sep 10

Re: Any gardening questions for Robin?

Hi Robin and the gang

Just qualified in RHS ,going back for more next week at Sparsholt.

Just wanted to say good luck, its about time gardening/growing got funky.

Look forward to post and blogging

Nice to see us new gardeners on the block.

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 14 Sep 10 1:17pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

dukegus, have you got any fieldmice, they love to eat the vines roots....?

If not you will take no risks treating the plant with a 'bouillie bordelaise'...translated as 'bordeaux mixture' heres a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_mixture.
Be careful when using this treatment, only when the temperature is less than 18.

If your worried about the winter, buy one of those special plant covers. I thought that my vine had disappeared at the end of last freezing winter, i was searching for it down in the ground when finally i realised that it was above my head all mangled in the bamboo and reaching out to the plum tree.

Last edited by kye in france (Tue 14 Sep 10 1:18pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 17 Sep 10 5:14pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your questions. Quite a few of you asked about containers so I have written an article this week on that topic:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/gardening/article.php?id=157

Keep the questions coming and I shall put some time aside to answer as many as I can next week.

Cheers

Robin

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 17 Sep 10 5:42pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Robin , welcome to the forum . smile

I have had terrible problems growing the tomatoes this year.
Because of the late  frosts I started them late , I do not have a greenhouse and so they are grown out doors , in growbags. ( in  Cardiff ).
I think its the weather that has been the problem , but I have not had many tomatoes on the vines this year and what I have is taking a time to ripen.
Now , because of the change in the weather again , the vines are fading and I so far have not had many ripe tomatoes.

They were carefully watered and fed and I did nothing different to what I have done in previous years.
I know that we get a lot of rain where we live , but I mostly get quite a lot of tomatoes.

Would you think it was simply the unpredictable weather that have caused such a poor crop this year.

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 23 Sep 10 7:51pm

RobinMcaf

Denise.

Thanks for your question. It inspired my first article, which you can read in the Garden Experts section.

And yes, mixed herbs in a large container is a great option. Just don't add mint or lemon balm. They will take over!

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 23 Sep 10 7:54pm

RobinMcaf

Hi Mumza,

I'm sorry about your tomatoes. It has been a bad year for tomatoes because of the late frost and the wet and miserable August that we've endured. So don't give up next year and make your green tomatoes into a chutney. There's some great recipes in a recent forum post.

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 23 Sep 10 7:56pm

RobinMcaf

MichTWheeler,

Thanks for your message and big congratulations on qualifying. Well done!

Robin

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 23 Sep 10 8:03pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

RobinMcaf wrote:

Hi Mumza,

I'm sorry about your tomatoes. It has been a bad year for tomatoes because of the late frost and the wet and miserable August that we've endured. So don't give up next year and make your green tomatoes into a chutney. There's some great recipes in a recent forum post.

Dunno where you live...I've got tomatoes coming out of my ears...Plum, Cherry and  normal round one's....whatever they're called....

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 23 Sep 10 8:10pm

RobinMcaf

Hi Maddimouse,

I also answered your questions in the article I wrote last week, which you can find in the Garden Experts section.

If you want to keep house flies away try Basil, Tansy or Eau de Cologne Mint (Mentha x piperita f. citrata).

Good luck with your balcony and Bon Appetit.

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 23 Sep 10 8:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

wine~o wrote:

RobinMcaf wrote:

Hi Mumza,

Dunno where you live...I've got tomatoes coming out of my ears...Plum, Cherry and  normal round one's....whatever they're called....

In Cardiff, Wales ,  wine-o , it rains a lot here !!!!

Likes (0)