forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 17 Sep 10 1:17pm

UK2004

Member since Mon 12 Apr 10

Pasta sauce with Nduja??

Have been using Nduja for a while but only in a basic sauce recipe, anyway got any good recipes using it? I've noticed a few London restaurants are now serving pasta dishes with Nduja in.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 17 Sep 10 1:28pm

AliceTwain

Member since Tue 11 May 10

Re: Pasta sauce with Nduja??

Traditionally, 'nduja as pasta sauge is served very simply: start out by placing a agood amount of onion in a pan, add some extravirgin olive oil (better if a powerful Calabrese oil!), simmer until the onion is golden, add the 'nduja (as muich as you like, the more you add the hotter will be the pasta), let cook for a couple of minutes so that all of the fat melts, add canned tomatoes of resh diced tomatoes according to season. At the same time cook the pasta until very al dente, drain and toss in the pan with the sauce, finish off with a good sprinkle Parmigiano Reggiano and/or salted and slightly aged ricotta. Thta's all! ^_^

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 17 Sep 10 2:13pm

UK2004

Thank you for that, the Ricotta point is interesting I had not thought of that, is it ok to use Ricotta Salata the salty one that you can grate?

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 17 Sep 10 4:23pm

AliceTwain

UK2004 wrote:

is it ok to use Ricotta Salata the salty one that you can grate?

Yes, that's the right type! ^_^  And keep it simple, žnduja is already a bomb in in itself!
One thing that II would  like to try, in a more fusion cuisine style is 'nduja savory muffins, with some caciocavallo too. yummy

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 17 Sep 10 6:46pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I have yet to see it here.  I wish someone would start carrying it.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 17 Sep 10 6:57pm

AliceTwain

SonomaEddie wrote:

I have yet to see it here.  I wish someone would start carrying it.

I guess it may be easier for some producer to start making it. Indeed 'nduja is a rather simple salami made with pork and lots (LOTS) of red hot peppers (not chillies, hot peppers) in an area with a very hot and dry weather. Its good quality depends more on the quality of the ingredients than on the weather and climate, as it happens for Prosciutto di Parma. The US certainly don't lack the weather for it and don't lack the ingredients (quality pork and qualitiy hot peppers). All you need is someone thta comes up with the idea of making gread 'nduja and the money and patience to come over and woork with some Calabrese producer for a year or so to learn the tricks of the trade.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 27 Sep 10 3:24pm

UK2004

Thank you so much Alice for that Nduja pasta recipe, it was absolutely fantastic, really impressed!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 27 Sep 10 3:35pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

A friend of my husbands used to bring us Nduja back from his holiday home in Italy, sadly he's not risked sending it to us since we moved back to Finland.

One thing we used to love as a snack was to make cheese on toast with it, we'd soften the Nduja with a little oil and spread it over the bread before topping with cheese.  Very basic I know but it tasted absolutely delicious, so much so that I have done it with posh bread, and served it with a small salad as a starter.

Now if I could only get it here, i wonder if you could make it at home hmm

Last edited by BritFinn (Mon 27 Sep 10 3:37pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 27 Sep 10 3:41pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Okay, that really got me going, so I had to google it, and here is one I found

http://latavola.blogspot.com/2007/11/nduja.html

Guess what I'll be trying this weekend! big_smile

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 29 Sep 10 12:59am

UK2004

I'll try that one on toast, thank you! Have you thought of getting some Nduja sent over to you, it lasts a long time so should be fine with the travelling!

Likes (0)