forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 25 Sep 10 5:48pm

aaronjunited

From N.Ireland, Belfast
Member since Tue 27 Jan 09

Need help with my Topside Top Rump Joint!!

Going to make a roast on sunday. I bought one from tesco and just need some ideas.

I ususally cover my meat in water and add onion and cook in the oven with the lid on. I then use the liquid for the gravy using bisto gravy powder.

What other ways can i cook my joint for more flavour, and to make it more tender.
Any tips would be great.

Thanks
Aaron.

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 25 Sep 10 6:16pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: Need help with my Topside Top Rump Joint!!

Don't use water, for starters.  Always brown both the vegetables and the meat before adding any liquid.  Make sure to add herbs and plenty of seasoning.

POT ROAST
Topside or silverside (we usually get one weighing around 2.5lbs)
2 onions, peeled and halved
4-6 carrots, roughly chopped into thirds
500ml beef stock
One glass red wine, or a bottle of ale (use only 350ml beef stock if using the ale)
A few sprigs of fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, a bayleaf
Salt, pepper
Oil and butter

Pre-heat the oven to 150C.  In a casserole or dutch oven, heat about 5tbsp oil and a knob of butter over a medium-high heat on the hob.  Peel and halve the onions.  Add these to the hot fat until browned around the edges, then remove and set aside.

Season the beef all over with a generous amount of salt and pepper.  Brown the meat on all sides in the hot fat.  This is honestly a really important step.  Make sure it's well browned: this is what gives all the flavour. 

Return the onion to the pan and add the carrots.  Stir everything around for a minute, then pour in the stock and booze.  Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen all the browned bits.  Add the herbs. 

Put the lid on and stick it in the oven for 3 hours.  Turn the meat over in the liquid once or twice.  No need for Bisto.  smile

Last edited by Anna (Sat 25 Sep 10 8:18pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 25 Sep 10 8:35pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Thats it, loose the water.
Stock is your friend! wink  big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 25 Sep 10 11:53pm

aaronjunited

From N.Ireland, Belfast

thanks for that. well appreciated. I cant wait to make it tomorrow.
Any ideas for a side dish, i'm doing roast potatoes in goose fat with it, trying to think of a good side dish to fill the plate.

Sick of just boring veg, want to do something more elegant.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 25 Sep 10 11:58pm

greyhound

Occupation plasterer
From Brisbane
Member since Mon 24 Apr 06

personally we rub the meat with some olive oil and add garlic and herbs. enough fat in the meat will run out to mkae a gravy with.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 26 Sep 10 1:02am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

I'm pretty much with Anna and Sergio. 

I like the meat really tender.  I always roast in stock, whatever the meat or part.  The stock isn't to cover, only to come about a third of the way up the piece of meat.  I also like to add herbs, wine, spices or whatever.  I almost always cook at 160 C, and the low temperature helps keep the meat tender.  I don't bother browning the meat first; I roast without a lid and the oven does enough for me, and I find the meat's more tender if it isn't browned first.  I don't like lamb pink, but cooked fully through; I don't really like roast beef rare either.  So the timing is usually about two to three hours regardless of what the meat is, unless the cut is very small. 

I then take the meat out to let it rest, and turn the oven right up to do potatoes and any other veg I'm roasting (I love roasted veg).  If the meat is pork, the crackling goes in now too.

I lift the meat out of the liquid in the roasting tin, strain the liquid, put the meat back in the tin with a cover, and sit it on the stove above the oven to keep warm and keep resting.

I skim most of the fat off the liquid, add a bit of water if the liquid's evaporated too much, whisk in flour, bring it to a simmer, season it if necessary, and that makes a nice flavoursome gravy.

My roasting tin is a big one, so it's usually about 3 cups of stock that goes in at the start.  I get plenty of gravy out of that, and there's usually some left over after we've finished the roast.  I freeze it.  It can be used for serving with grilled meats, etc.; or it can even go back in the roasting tin with a new roast some time, just getting a top-up with fresh stock.

I find this nice and easy, and it works for me every time.  Guests and family have often commented on how tender the meat is, and the tenderness and good but subtle flavours from the stock and the flavourings that go in with it are the important things for me. 

I haven't ever considered doing any veg other than roast vegies + a green with a roast, because I love roast vegies so, especially with gravy.  I roast the vegies in olive oil, after boiling, steaming or microwaving them until they're almost tender first.

Last edited by cengland (Sun 26 Sep 10 1:13am)

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 26 Sep 10 10:56am

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

I agree with all the comments regarding losing water...it sounds like you've been boiling your beef shocked
I usually steam my veg...always use whatever is in season, make sure it doesn't overcook (still has some bite) and add a dollop of butter.
It improves the flavour but also gives a nice glossy appearance.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 26 Sep 10 11:21am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

One of my daughters' favourite ways to jazz up spinach is to wilt your spinach in a big pan and drain well (reserving the water).  Then melt a tbspn of butter in a pan, add a tbspn of flour and mix until it's grainy, then slowly start adding some milk and seasoning - stirring all the time - when it's almost thick enough, pour in the water from the spinach, crush in a clove or two of garlic, then add the tiniest pinch of nutmeg.  Stir your spinach into this, and serve  yummy

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 26 Sep 10 12:50pm

aaronjunited

From N.Ireland, Belfast

i have to thank everyone for there help. Bunch of nice people on here, i lve asking for help as i always get detailed, experienced answers. Ive only been cooking 6 years, and i'm coming 24 next week. I regret not doing my food course to become a chef when leaving school.

Its nice to have people share there own ideas and ways that they cook certain dishes/food. Thanks again, will let you all know what my roast was like.

I'm serving roast potatoes in goose fat, a side of brasied bacon and sprouts and maybe steamed or roast carrot with the lovely meat and gravy.

Cheers & laters.
Aaron.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 26 Sep 10 2:03pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Just remember: might be hard to cook your vegetables in the oven if the beef's going to be in there at a very low temperature.  Roast potatoes need 200C+ heat but the meat only needs 150C.

Likes (0)