forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 30 Sep 10 6:59pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

What to seed, what to plant, what to reap, any questions for me?

Hi everyone,

Here is a link to my latest article that I have written which outlines what can be done in your garden at this time of year:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/gardening/article.php?id=164

I really enjoyed answering some of your questions last week so if you have anymore then ask away! I will also be online after work next Wednesday (after 6pm UK time) so we can chat then as well.....

Cheers

Robin

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 30 Sep 10 8:43pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: What to seed, what to plant, what to reap, any questions for me?

I had an angelica plant and when I was sold it , I was told.."Best leave it go to seed this year and then it will self seed and you wil have more plants next year "
I duly left the plant to go to seed and this year would have beem its second year..nothing grew , not the main plant, not the seeds...nothing...just an empty patch of ground !!
Ah well , it was probably another victim of the evil weather we had last winter and the cool wet summer that followed !

I have an old stoneware sink with parsley and chives growing in it , I tend to leave that to self seed.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 01 Oct 10 2:42am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

I've been experimenting with 'Lazy Planting'. Plants that need little to no help.
Chives, Rosemary and Fennel have been quite cool kitchen garden friends. Planted loads of others but the birds mistook them for birdseed.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 01 Oct 10 2:49am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

The egg shells under the strawberry plant did nothing against the dreaded snails and slugs. Neither did the beer. Have you ever heard a drunk slug argue with a drunk snail about the correct way to make strawberry omlette? At 4am!

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 01 Oct 10 4:15pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

the only way I know about fighting with slugs is just collect them and take away in the early morning and at night with a torch ............ if you do not want to surround your plants with poisons

ciao Robin, do you think i am in time for sowing spinach (in northern Italy) I remember doing it once in november and keeping them under a tunnel, I have never had such abundant and good looking crop of spinach again roll

Last edited by madamada (Fri 01 Oct 10 4:18pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 06 Oct 10 7:13pm

RobinMcaf

Hi Madamada,

Where are you in Northern Italy?

I think you'd be just in time, because it is much more temperate there than over here. Or so my Tuscan friend keeps telling me.

It will of course be safer to do it in a tunnel though.

Good luck?

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 06 Oct 10 7:15pm

RobinMcaf

Hi TerryKay,

Try copper tape. It's like sellotape and made of copper and I put it round raised veg beds and pots with great success. It begun peeling after a full season, but only in places.

Beer is good but loses its effect quickly.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 06 Oct 10 7:22pm

RobinMcaf

Mummza,

I'm sorry about your Angelica. I planted mine in an old bath and it was a great success although it hasn't seeded yet. I never got around to cooking with it though. Apparently the fresh stems are delicious in crumbles with rhubarb or apple.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 06 Oct 10 8:48pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

RobinMcaf wrote:

Beer is good but loses its effect quickly.

I find that as well...that's why I have to keep topping up.... lol

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 06 Oct 10 10:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have an idea for you as well Terry ....
Try fir/pine cones , you don't even need large ones .

Slugs and snails find it difficult to climb fir/pine cones.

What you need to do is to collect the cones then   Circle the plants with the thicker end of the cones pointing towards the plants and the pointed thinner end of the cone pointing away from the plant.
There should be no breaks at all in hhe circle of cones which ideally should be a few cones deep , like a heavy thick double row necklace lying on the ground around the base of the plant.

The difficulty with strawberry plants is that they grow in little mounds with drooping trestles  of flowers and fruit .
It might be worth raising the plants from the ground in a way that will suit your garden .

Likes (0)