Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 11 Nov 10 5:43pm

danalibby

Occupation Salvation Army Officer
From Everett, Washington USA
Member since Thu 11 Nov 10

Food Banks and Community Meals

Hi Jamie,

We have enjoyed your style and approach since first seeing your show during a 2001/2002 posting in Brecon Wales.

Our community, like many in the US, is experiencing difficult times for certain segments of our neighbors.  Some are doing well (who work in the aerospace industry), but those living are the margins are quickly losing hope.

Of of their lifelines for both food and social connections, are the local food banks - both those operated by us Sallies and by other community organizations, and the fellowship meals (we don't call them "feeds" or "soup lines".

We - and I am sure every other fellowship meal and food bank in the country - are facing the dual challenges of sufficient supplies of healthy food and that of getting people to actually prepare healthy food.  The sad thing is that developing nations receiving UN and World Food Program supplies are probably eating a more healthy diet than many in our local community.

The Fellowship Meals depend on donated food from a variety of community resources to stretch very limited dollars.  Unfortunately, this often results in high sugar and high fat content.  Given the fragile health and chronic illness that may of our neighbors are living with, it's a bad combination.

If you have time, it would be great to highlight this in a way that would not just bring attention to the issue, but would bring about change.  Once approach might be to join with an organization like The Salvation Army to produce some very short video presentations, recipe sheets that could be distributed at food banks, meal prep guides for fellowship/congregate meals, etc.

Thanks for considering it!

Dana Libby, Captain
Corps Officer, Salvation Army

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 11 Nov 10 11:09pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Food Banks and Community Meals

Hi Dana Libby,
Welcome to the forums. I have also been thinking about these issues and have come up with a different model. I would be interested to hear what you think about it. Info here: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~yamdaisy/
Cheers smile

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 12 Nov 10 12:38am

danalibby

Occupation Salvation Army Officer
From Everett, Washington USA
Member since Thu 11 Nov 10

Hi Joy,

I really like the model you have described on the Yamdaisy web site.

The idea of a model that can be self-sustaining is certainly a valuable one.

Here in Seattle (in the Northwest US), an organization called Fare Start has been working on such a thing, with the added element of training Chefs and other Culinary Professionals.  They are operating a restaurant and doing a catering business that delivers school lunches and business lunches.  Here is their web site:   farestart<dot>org

Along with providing food at our Fellowship Meals, an important element is fostering a safe and peaceful place for our neighbors to gather.  On an average evening we will serve between 120 and 150 folks, with the help of rotating groups of volunteers from 15 local churches, businesses and clubs.  At the same time, we are able to host community service partners that provide health care, HIV testing and referrals to housing resources.  Yesterday, after several years of outreach to one particular gentleman who has been living in the forest for at least 15 years, we moved him into the first stage of permanent housing!  Along with food, lots of good things can happen in a caring community environment.

I look forward to spending a bit more time reading the material on the Yamdaisy site.

All the best,

Dana

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 12 Nov 10 4:00am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Welcome to the forums, Captain.  Both my grandmother and grandfather were officers in the SA for several years as were my great aunts.  My uncle was very active all his life as well. 
Where I live, and I'm sure this is true everywhere, the donations to food banks is down desperately.  Those who were regular contributors are finding that they must now go to provide for their families.  Thanks for your service to humanity and heaven.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 13 Nov 10 12:40am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

danalibby wrote:

Hi Joy,

I really like the model you have described on the Yamdaisy web site.

The idea of a model that can be self-sustaining is certainly a valuable one.

Here in Seattle (in the Northwest US), an organization called Fare Start has been working on such a thing, with the added element of training Chefs and other Culinary Professionals.  They are operating a restaurant and doing a catering business that delivers school lunches and business lunches.  Here is their web site:   farestart<dot>org

Along with providing food at our Fellowship Meals, an important element is fostering a safe and peaceful place for our neighbors to gather.  On an average evening we will serve between 120 and 150 folks, with the help of rotating groups of volunteers from 15 local churches, businesses and clubs.  At the same time, we are able to host community service partners that provide health care, HIV testing and referrals to housing resources.  Yesterday, after several years of outreach to one particular gentleman who has been living in the forest for at least 15 years, we moved him into the first stage of permanent housing!  Along with food, lots of good things can happen in a caring community environment.

I look forward to spending a bit more time reading the material on the Yamdaisy site.

All the best,

Dana

Thanks Dana,
I put a link to Fare Start on the YamDaisy facebook page, it is great to link to good programs around the world. We do have similar Community Cafe/Chef training initiatives around Australia too.
YD is different as it is a big systemic program! cool

I thought of one that might be useful to you as it does get access to good food:
http://www.fareshare.net.au/
Perhaps this is something you already do?
All Good Things
Joy

Likes (0)