Jamie Oliver

forum: Jamie's Food Revolution

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 16 Nov 10 4:04am

danavanhove

Member since Tue 16 Nov 10

My child will prob be kicked out of school my rant to principal:

I don't mean to be one of those angry moms dumping this on you.

I know the wellness policy well.  I was there when it was enacted.  I remember it clearly because in 1st grade, one kid had a  cupcake party for his bday, and then the next week was my daughter's birthday, and in the interim, the policy was enacted.  She was so sad.

I just can't comprehend that any board would say they are putting out a "wellness policy" which is supposed to be in the best interest of our children's health, yet condone the completely non-nutritious food that is served in the lunchroom.

I'm mostly just frustrated and don't know where to put that feeling.  I tried working with an arm of the PTA on lunch food issues, and bureaucracy just moved at a glacial pace.  I work in the movie business, and when someone makes a decision, it happens fast and on budget.  So I had to beg out of that group because I don't have 10 years to wait for the health of my child.  Yes, yes, I know there's the salad bar option, but I had made some unannounced "spot checks", visiting my daughter at lunch to see what she had on her plate, and it wasn't the right stuff.  So I've resorted to packing healthy lunches of her choosing. 

I don't understand a wellness policy that would dis-include a cupcake made of wheat, eggs, milk and sugar, yet feed all that nonsense they put out at the cafeteria.  (And I know you weren't here when this happened.)

Example:  November 1-5 food menu:

BAKED CHICKEN ROUNDUPS - probably not chicken, probably a mashing of chicken parts
w/BAKED SEASONED POTATO WEDGES - carb (where's the veggie?)
FRUIT - 1 good piece of food in this entire weekly menu

BEEF RIB B QUE SANDWICH -  lots of sugar and cornsyrup and carb
SUN CHIPS - carb  (no fruit or veggie)

SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS - carb and more meat mash with bread in it
w/CHEESEY GARLIC BREADSTICK - more carb - again, no fruit or veggie

TACO BAR - meat mash and cheese, maybe some iceberg non-nutritious lettuce, maybe some hothouse non-nutritious tomatoes
CINNAMON CHURRO - carb - no fruit, no veggie

THIN CRUST CHEESEPIZZA -carb, and those who say the sauce is a veggie, I don't buy it
GREEN SALAD - again, probably shredded non-nutritious iceburg lettuce with some slivers of purple cabbage, but not enough to make a nutritional dent
100% FRUIT ICEE JUICEE - maybe ok, but I have my doubts about the fact that there's no sugar or preservatives or corn syrup in it.

I know a parent who had her child's cholesterol checked, and it was sky high, even tho, like me, she feeds her child only wholesome, healthy food.  She took her child out of the school lunch program and after 1 month, the child's cholesterol went back to normal.

The district cares about scores and presumably learning.  But a kid who is sugared and carbed up on cafeteria food goes into a sugar coma after lunch, energy goes down...it's all just not good; learning can't be at it's peak under those circumstances.  (Day in and day out of this, but on a holiday, no cupcake.)  My child is energized after lunch.  She gets a pure, unadulterated protein, a green veggie, a fruit, and a honey stick for snack, and if she's lucky, an organic ginger snap cookie, usually a little bag of nuts, and maybe some organic gummy bear vitamins.  And she's fine with it.  That is a healthy meal that costs me probably less than $2 per day to provide to her.  It's a shame the school, district, state, nation can't get on board with this.  Pretty basic stuff.  They wonder why there's so much cancer, alzheimers, parkinson's, diabetes, obesity, etc.  I think I just spelled it out.

Again, just not sure where to direct that frustration, or if it even matters, or if anyone cares.  I know you are not the bad guy in this, so I reiterate, I'm just frustrated.
help  (Again, this was sent to the principal of my daughter's elementary school.)

Last edited by danavanhove (Tue 16 Nov 10 4:08am)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 16 Nov 10 4:24am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: My child will prob be kicked out of school my rant to principal:

Good for you for packing a good lunch for your child.  Since you've made your voice heard I don't know what else you can do short of organizing other parents.  Going unannounced to see your daughter may not have been a very good thing to do as most schools ask that you check into the office first.  Lots of scary things happen when parents just show up.  Particularly if there are custody issues.  I've had some nightmarish experiences with fathers coming to see their kids on the playground during recess.   Anyhow, it's nice to know that there are concerned parents out there who know what to feed their children.  I can't believe the crap I see in shopping carts when I see families out shopping.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 16 Nov 10 4:58am

danavanhove

Just to clarify...it was unanounced to my child, not the school.  At our school, we can enter whenever we wish, to observe whatever we want, we just have to sign in at the office and get a badge to wear, proving we are ok to be on campus.

I've tried.  No success.  That's why I support and will get involved with Jaimie's Food Revolution.  There's a vote going on on Facebook now to get Jamie to Los Angeles.  I hope he comes.  It's not my district, but it's close enough (Santa Monica) to make some noise over hear! crossed

PS:  me too (re shopping carts).  And also when I go on field trips with the class, it's shocking to see what is in some kids' lunch boxes!  The good old motto "sh*t in, sh*t out!"  I put good stuff in my kid, knowing that only good will come out of it!

Let's all keep up the good fight!

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 16 Nov 10 5:43am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Good on you for caring and trying.  Your daughter will thank you, even if no one else does yet.

Of course good carbohydrates and good proteins are important, in the right amounts.  But too much of each, especially fried to be high in fat, and with no real fruit and vegies, is very bad news. 

I bet when the schools have bread, pasta, pizza bases, etc., none of it's wholewheat either ...  hmm

Being Australian, not American, I don't know what the 'wellness policy' is.  But from what you say here, and from what I saw of nutrition guidelines that American schools were going by in Jamie's Food Revolution TV series, the policies and guidelines sound a bit - well - not quite right.

Good luck.  Keep up the good fight.  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 16 Nov 10 1:11pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

We have the same "wellness" policy.  We aren't allowed to take in any "junk" food to the classrooms but they have fudgesicles on the approved list.  I can't make muffins but I can take in fudgesicles. 

Then I completely LOVE that at the check out in the lunchroom they have a display of chips and crap that the kids can buy for 80 cents.  We can't send it into the classrooms but as long as the school is making money off of it, it's ok.

Even the yogurt they put in the lunchroom as a "healthy" option is Trixx yogurt...all full of sugar and dyes. 

My children pack almost every day.  We will allow them to buy once a week normally but one of my children never ever buys.  It's sad we can't trust the school to care for our children nutritionally.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 16 Nov 10 4:10pm

danavanhove

My principal replied back with admirable restraint, referring me to the person in charge of the food services in our district.

We'll see where that gets me.  I wish Jamie were here to help me!

PLEASE VOTE ON FACEBOOK TO GET HIM TO LOS ANGELES!

In the meantime, it's good to know that folks like you who have replied have lucky children, who are the recipients of your creativity and care!

I take my daughter to the farmer's market every weekend.  I also get a CSA box every 2 weeks, which we go thru together like it's Christmas morning, wondering at what we've received, and wrapping and putting into the fridge.  We spend our quality time in the kitchen, where our catch-phrase is "There's Magic in the Kitchen!"  We have a ball!  (I'm a single mom with a full time job, but we make time in that kitchen every day!)

Keep on keepin' on!   thumbsup

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 16 Nov 10 6:37pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

You live in Santa Monica or that's where he's headed.  I use to live there when I first moved to CA.  That's before they built the mall and Bay Cities was a little deli and not packed with people.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 16 Nov 10 7:10pm

danavanhove

Ha!  Bay Cities is so jammed at lunch now, they have officers directing traffic!  Can't drive up Lincoln Blvd any time between noon and 2:30pm!

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 17 Nov 10 2:12am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

I'm wondering, with the wellness policy, are you allowed to make something healthy and send that to school for the kids to share?  Is it actually about the nutrition of the food, or is it perhaps about the schools, school boards, etc. being concerned parents might not prepare the food hygienically, or something like that?

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 17 Nov 10 2:39am

danavanhove

Both.  We can't make nor can we bring store bought goodies in.

"Hi kids, I'm Kylie's mom, and in honor of her birthday, I've brought you all carrot sticks!"   Oooooh, they'll be so excited!

BUT if I give her a dollar, she can buy a fat-ass chocolate chip cookie in the cafeteria.

Hypocrites.  That's really the crux of it for me, the hypocrisy of it all.  "We have published this wellness policy, yet we provide sh*t for your kids to eat at lunch."

Likes (0)