forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 06 Jan 11 2:59am

SmellyCat

Occupation Musician, arts admin
From Birmingham, UK
Member since Wed 22 Dec 10

Re: Food intolerances and allergies

I honestly don't know if it's allergies/intolerances that have become common, or our awareness of them?

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 06 Jan 11 3:24am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

They have definitely become more common place. It was a rare thing 5years ago to hear of many people with a gluten intolerance or even go to a restaurant that made gluten free meals. Now, the amount of people with senstivities has increased 10-fold!

PLUS. I think it has also had a boost from the super health conscious that believe by eating gluten free they are becoming healthier. Trust me -it's a high GI diet if you aren't careful and that is never good for one's internal workings! A balanced diet is quite often the best thing ie. Eating a variety of fresh fruit & vegetables, dairy, meat, chicken and fish.

That's just my views though....

Likes (0)

#23 Thu 06 Jan 11 9:53pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Things like coeliac disease haven't increased, they are just more diagnosed. It's a genetic disorder the only way it increases is by more people being born with one of the genes and being affected by it. In some places, like ireland, there are more people with it than other areas.

As to whether the is a real increase or if it's just a preceived increase as a result of better diagnosis or better public awareness, I'm not sure.

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 06 Jan 11 9:56pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

15 years ago I thought there was a lot of "Scaremongering" regards allergies....

...then at the age of 40/41 I had my first experience of Anyphlaxis..(SP)..

.....not a pleasant experience, I blame the peanuts...

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 06 Jan 11 10:06pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

An article about allergy tests that don't actually work http://www.allergy.org.au/content/view/322/271/

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 07 Jan 11 11:23pm

SmellyCat

Occupation Musician, arts admin
From Birmingham, UK
Member since Wed 22 Dec 10

I get the impression that in the past, people were just branded as 'sickly', and resigned themselves to a lifetime of illness, and doctors gave up on them after a while. Now medical science has improved, we can isolate the causes of what's making people ill.

Likes (0)

#27 Sat 08 Jan 11 4:05pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Yep I think you're right Smellycat.  My daughter and MIL are both celiac, and we've discussed this very point.  My MIL remembers her father as always having a bit of a dodgy stomach, and as it is a genetic disease it is more than likely that he would have been Celiac.  Thank goodness that now people can know what is making them so ill!

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 18 Jan 11 2:52pm

CazzieAnwyn

Member since Tue 18 Jan 11

My older sisters allergic to many things, eggs, all dairy products, peanuts, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes and wheat.

Though not all her allergies are sever, she can eat like one egg and thats it, any more then her throat itches, peanuts, bananas, strawberries and raspberries however, her throat swells up.

Cooking for her is a nightmare so many things include some of the products listed, I usually end up doing a chicken salad, and for me ceasar dressing, for her sweet and sour.

Makes a change from her usual of hummus with various sticks of vegetables

Likes (0)

#29 Tue 18 Jan 11 10:32pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Welcome here Cazzie, your sister must love you to cook for her! wave

Likes (0)

#30 Wed 20 Jul 11 5:22pm

kittymaloo

Member since Wed 20 Jul 11

I wondered if some one can help me!! i am allergic to alcohol but love food such as rabbit stew, game pie etc. Does any one know what i can put in my food to substitute the likes of a can of bitter or a bottle of ale ???  yikes  crossed

Likes (0)